Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City / Burnley & Southampton '

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:45 pm

How Cardiff City can reel in Burnley and benefit from their horrendous Premier League relegation run-in

By Dominic Booth

Relegation battle - Game week 30

Cardiff City have a while to ponder their current position in the race to avoid relegation.

Their 2-0 victory over West Ham United last weekend might have moved them clear of the drop zone if it weren't for Southampton's surprise win against Tottenham Hotspur.

Nonetheless the Bluebirds are still in the mix for survival, two points behind Saints — and Burnley — with the Clarets now very much within Cardiff's grasp.

So with Ralph Hassenhuttl's side in decent form and the likes of Brighton, Crystal Palace and Newcastle United all pulling to safety as well, here's why Sean Dyche's men are actually the team Cardiff should be looking to reel in...

The run-ins

As has been well-documented, Cardiff have a relatively tough run of fixtures between now and the end of the season, complicated further by likely rearrangements against both Brighton and Man City due to FA Cup participiation.

Cardiff City's run-in

March 31: Chelsea (H)

TBC: Brighton (A)

April 6: Man City (A)

April 13: Burnley (A)

April 21: Liverpool (H)

April 27: Fulham (A)

May 4: Crystal Palace (H)

May 12: Man Utd (A)

But while the Bluebirds face four of the top six in their remaining nine games - Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United as well as Pep Guardiola's side - Burnley have an equally tough run-in.

The Clarets have Chelsea away, Man City away, Everton away and then Arsenal at home in their final four matches.

Before that they have knife-edge games against Leicester, Wolves and Bournemouth.

The big Turf Moor clash

If Cardiff are to reel in the Clarets, they'll need to ensure they are within two points of them by April 13.

That's the date of the titanic Turf Moor battle that could define the Bluebirds' season. It's likely to be an ugly, war of attrition given the two sides' styles. Neither Warnock nor Dyche will want to give an inch.

But before that, it's paramount that Burnley, who boast a superior goal difference, don't pull clear.

Cardiff will hope for a favour from Brendan Rodgers' Leicester , who travel to Turf Moor this weekend for Burnley's game in hand.

Then, Burnley play Wolves while Cardiff host Chelsea. Again, keeping the status quo is probably the best Warnock's side can hope for.

When it comes to the big one, Cardiff should take heart from their previous meeting with Dyche's side, despite losing the game 2-1. They dominated for long periods at Cardiff City Stadium and Burnley, lacking in flair and trickery, should in theory be a side whose approach suits Cardiff.

That day in the Welsh capital, goals from Sam Vokes and Joey Gudmundsson secured a smash-and-grab victory which owed to the nous of last season's seventh-placed Premier League outfit.

But if Victor Camarasa and Josh Murphy fire like they did against the Hammers, Warnock will back his men to turn the tables at Turf Moor — where three points must be the target. A draw may not be enough.

The Southampton factor

All of this is to ignore Southampton of course, who are still just two points ahead of Cardiff having played the same number of games.

The in-form Saints have recovered well from that dramatic late defeat to an inspired Bluebirds team at St Mary's, beating Fulham and Tottenham and pushing Manchester United very close.

They have testing away trips at Brighton, Watford and Newcastle on the horizon, before a favourable run in the final few matches of the season.

Southampton's run-in

TBC: Watford (A)

March 30: Brighton (A)

April 5: Liverpool (H)

April 13: Wolves (H)

April 20: Newcastle (A)

April 27: Bournemouth (H)

May 4: West Ham (A)

May 12: Huddersfield (H)

It looks likely that Hassenhuttl's men will pick up the required points. But if they don't, Cardiff must be ready to pounce and capitalise on any unexpected slip-ups.

This fight for Premier League survival has already provided several twists and turns and, crucially, Cardiff City are still in the scrap.

They must return from their long break refreshed and ready to prove people wrong.

Use the gadget above to predict the outcome of the relegation battle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Cardiff City / Burnley & Southampton '

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:45 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:09 pm

With all due respect Annis, that table is wrong.
Burnley have played 30 games,same as us not 29.
Once they play Lecester at the weekend we will have a game in hand on them.
Yes Brendan Rogers' Leicester can do us a massive favour by winning that game.
Come on Leicester!

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:57 pm

burnley arent going down. it's between us and southampton for the drop.

40-60 chance of us staying up IMO. we've got spirit and togetherness, we just lack quality. our top scoring striker has 4 goals, and that's from 30 games now. by contrast, burnley have one on 8 and one on 9. still nothing special, but better than ours.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Still a lot of twists and turns to come ...

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Sir wrote:burnley arent going down. it's between us and southampton for the drop.

40-60 chance of us staying up IMO. we've got spirit and togetherness, we just lack quality. our top scoring striker has 4 goals, and that's from 30 games now. by contrast, burnley have one on 8 and one on 9. still nothing special, but better than ours.

Burnley were shit when we played them, we were robbed !!!

They have had a very easy run of games with the exception of Spurs, but Spurs are in bad away form, and had a mid-week away game in the Champions League, even then Harry Kane should have scored at least two of the chances he missed.

They are easily catchable, but our game against them will decide, that is a must win game!!!

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Sir wrote:burnley arent going down. it's between us and southampton for the drop.

They have had a very easy run of games with the exception of Spurs, but Spurs are in bad away form, and had a mid-week away game in the Champions League, even then Harry Kane should have scored at least two of the chances he missed.

They are easily catchable, but our game against them will decide, that is a must win game!!!

That easy run included Watford & United away, and a 3-1 win away at Brighton. I hope Neil Warnock doesn't share your complacency!

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Bluebina wrote:

That easy run included Watford & United away, and a 3-1 win away at Brighton. I hope Neil Warnock doesn't share your complacency!

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:41 pm

hagleyblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

The easy run included Huddersfield - Fulham - Newcastle (lost) - Brighton - Southampton (drew) -Palace (lost) Are they top teams that you want to avoid?
Look above at the thread all they have left in the bottom eight is us, we play four, most pundits now think we will finish above Burnley and so do I because now we have an easier run in.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Bluebina wrote:
hagleyblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

The easy run included Huddersfield - Fulham - Newcastle (lost) - Brighton - Southampton (drew) -Palace (lost) Are they top teams that you want to avoid?
Look above at the thread all they have left in the bottom eight is us, we play four, most pundits now think we will finish above Burnley and so do I because now we have an easier run in.

I agree it looks easier on paper but they outplayed Spurs by all accounts and Man U for most of that match, whereas we've looked very poor without any fight against the top six. I looked at Huddersfield's run in last season and they had the same tough run in as Burnley, but still got results away at Chelsea and Man City.

Too many of our fans are getting complacent!

Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Bluebina wrote:
hagleyblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I agree it looks easier on paper but they outplayed Spurs by all accounts and Man U for most of that match, whereas we've looked very poor without any fight against the top six. I looked at Huddersfield's run in last season and they had the same tough run in as Burnley, but still got results away at Chelsea and Man City.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Don't think Burnley run in is that easy as the club's they play will not want to be dragged down hopefully some of the big boys we play will have nothing to play for. :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Burnley mugged us at ours, good time to get revenge. But it would be nice to take something off one of the big boys, something which we haven't done yet this season, we turned Man City over last time in the Prem, and got a draw with Man U. Chelsea could be our best bet for that, they were never a 4-1 result better than us at Stamford Bridge. Liverpool home, and both Mancs away look like lost causes unless there's a miracle. We can do it.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 pm

The only game I see Burnley having a chance of a point is Everton, I think they're doomed.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Burnley losing with a few minutes to go against Leicester. :occasion5:

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:25 am

hagleyblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
hagleyblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Huddersfield last year, what's that got to do with a weak Burnley team this season?

One of their easiest games on paper, at home to Leicester, I thought before the game they may have got a point, but against ten men for 87 minutes they lost, it's not complacency is a realistic appraisal of their remaining games and their current position.

I just watched them on Match of the Day, and they looked weak, I think we will finish higher than them !!!

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:32 pm

Its not all about the Burnley match (putting all our eggs in one basket so to speak) we have 21 other points to play for.
Come on City upset a few of the bigger teams.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:25 pm

Plymuff Bloobird wrote:Its not all about the Burnley match (putting all our eggs in one basket so to speak) we have 21 other points to play for.
Come on City upset a few of the bigger teams.

It is really, we can cause damage by Burnley, Brighton, Palace and Fulham by beating them, six pointers all of them to teams around us.

Of course, the other games are important too, but its the games against the teams around you which define your season.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:44 pm

Burnley Lose at Home to 10 Men Leicester :thumbup:

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Bluebina wrote:Huddersfield last year, what's that got to do with a weak Burnley team this season?

One of their easiest games on paper, at home to Leicester, I thought before the game they may have got a point, but against ten men for 87 minutes they lost, it's not complacency is a realistic appraisal of their remaining games and their current position.

I just watched them on Match of the Day, and they looked weak, I think we will finish higher than them !!!

I used Huddersfield as an example as they were no better than Burnley yet got two amazing results away to Chelsea & Man City when they looked dead and buried!

Yes, Burnley's run is tough. BUT they've shown they can get points off the top six. We haven't. Too many assume their last four games are a write-off. I was using Huddersfield as an example as to why fans should expect the unexpected when it comes to end of season matches. They've got Chelsea & Man City to play, just like us but have as much chance of getting points of either team. Virtually none.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Bluebina wrote:Huddersfield last year, what's that got to do with a weak Burnley team this season?

I used Huddersfield as an example as they were no better than Burnley yet got two amazing results away to Chelsea & Man City when they looked dead and buried!

Yes, Burnley's run is tough. BUT they've shown they can get points off the top six. We haven't. Too many assume their last four games are a write-off. I was using Huddersfield as an example as to why fans should expect the unexpected when it comes to end of season matches. They've got Chelsea & Man City to play, just like us but have as much chance of getting points of either team. Virtually none.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:24 pm

hagleyblue wrote:

It's of no relevance at all, Huddersfield were a different team in a different season !!!

Yes Burnley could beat top teams of course, but it's unlikely as they are rubbish, and catchable, as are Southampton and Brighton, it's going to be in our own destiny, if we beat the four teams around us we will stay up !!!

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm

hagleyblue wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205949

From the above thread, I also see us staying up, but Burnley losing to us and Wolves, but of course, I am biased and you can never tell what will happen?