OVERTURNED PENALTY DECISION SPARKS FURIOUS SCENES (AGAIN)

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Burnley v Cardiff City overturned penalty decision sparks furious scenes
By Jon Doel

Saturday 13th April 2019

Cardiff City were awarded a penalty by Mike Dean before he changed his mind

Cardiff City's players and fans have been left stunned after a major controversy during the game against Burnley at Turf Moor.

Manager Neil Warnock was apoplectic after referee Mike Dean reversed a decision to award the Bluebirds a penalty early in the second-half as they trailed their relegation rivals 1-0 in a game they could not afford to lose.

In a bizarre passage of play, Harry Arter's shot was blocked by Ben Mee's arm before Mee headed the ball onto his arm from a Joe Bennett cross in a separate incident moments later.

Referee Dean blew for a penalty before changing his mind after consultation with his assistant.

It was initially unclear which incident was actually penalised and whether the referee or linesman awarded it in the first place.

The decision sparked angry scenes for several minutes as Cardiff's players confronted Dean, while Warnock was seen remonstrating with the fourth official.

The first of the two incidents appeared to be the more clear handball, but Dean seemed to penalise the second before changing his mind amid confusing scenes.

The Bluebirds went on to lose the match 2-0. You can see how all of this weekend's results affect the relegation picture here.

BBC pundit Leon Osman said: "That is utterly ridiculous.

"To be overruled by Mike Dean in such a way, speaking to his linesman after saying he wasn't going to go and speak to him, Cardiff are just left furious.

"How that can be overruled is absolutely ridiculous. The assistant has given it but for some reason he's overruled it. I can't believe it, it's utterly ridiculous and yet again Neil Warnock is left feeling very let down by the officials.

"Cardiff have every reason to contest this. The officials have confused everybody."

Former referee Peter Walton, speaking on BT Sport, had a different take on it, saying: "They're looking at the one that comes across from the left wing and catches Ben Mee unaware. It actually hits his arm but for me it's not deliberate, he's not making himself bigger in that incident.

"Mike Dean saw that, given the penalty kick, and his assistant has alerted him to the fact he has just headed it onto his hand."

It comes less than a fortnight after the Bluebirds were the victims of a series of mistakes from the officials in the 2-1 defeat against Chelsea.

Manager Warnock's reaction to that controversy has since seen him charged by the FA.
Attachments
Burnley 1.jpg
Burnley 1.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Burnley 2.jpg
Burnley 2.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: OVERTURNED PENALTY DECISION SPARKS FURIOUS SCENES (AGAIN

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:40 pm

NW went saw ref after game he said didn't see the handball but linesman did. The question is if ref didn't see it why over rule linesman?
pembroke allan

Postby Bluebird1990 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:NW went saw ref after game he said didn't see the handball but linesman did. The question is if ref didn't see it why over rule linesman?

Because the FA dont want Cardiff in the Prem and most likely instructed refs to do their best to make sure we go down
Bluebird1990

Postby Bazforth » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:NW went saw ref after game he said didn't see the handball but linesman did. The question is if ref didn't see it why over rule linesman?

Because the FA dont want Cardiff in the Prem and most likely instructed refs to do their best to make sure we go down

Clown.
Bazforth

Postby Bluebird1990 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Bazforth wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Clown.

Dont be a c**t and try scraping together a few brain cells to come up with a better comment, you clearly dont understand the concept of sarcasm.
The way these decisions are going against us might awell laugh about it and not be a miserable fucker
Bluebird1990

Postby Sven » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:16 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bazforth wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Clown.

Dont be a c**t and try scraping together a few brain cells to come up with a better comment, you clearly dont understand the concept of sarcasm.
The way these decisions are going against us might awell laugh about it and not be a miserable fucker

Got to be fair, it didn't look like sarcasm and nothing in the original comment to suggest otherwise

Not sure why you feel the need to use profanity towards another member but methinks you're now backtracking
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:29 pm

Spot On .
TopCat CCFC

Postby Bluebird1990 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:31 am

Sven wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bazforth wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Clown.

Got to be fair, it didn't look like sarcasm and nothing in the original comment to suggest otherwise

Not sure why you feel the need to use profanity towards another member but methinks you're now backtracking

Don't insult me and i won't use profanity, if he wasnt being a dick to me then i wouldnt be a dick to him, simple as that so instead of worryi g about my swearing how about worrying about others throwing insults around
Bluebird1990

Postby dogfound » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Sven wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bazforth wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Clown.

sarcasm or not it does feel that way on times. he only said what I heard a dozen times coming out of the ground.
we have had some big decisions go against us this last couple of weeks but I have felt we have not been given a fair crack of the whip from day 1 when probably our most promising attack of the afternoon was stopped for a bloke { very clearly }pretending he had a head injury .
dogfound

Postby Bluebina » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 am

dogfound wrote:
Sven wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bazforth wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Clown.

sarcasm or not it does feel that way on times. he only said what I heard a dozen times coming out of the ground.
we have had some big decisions go against us this last couple of weeks but I have felt we have not been given a fair crack of the whip from day 1 when probably our most promising attack of the afternoon was stopped for a bloke { very clearly }pretending he had a head injury .

I agree week after week I see penalties not given, mostly for Morrison being strangled or thrown on the floor, and other teams doing 6 fouls without a booking, we do one and get booked immediately.

I can't see why it is, possibly the Refs dislike Warnock and have a bias to whatever team we are playing?

Big teams get an advantage, I can see that but Burnley are hardly a big team and they got every single decision !!!
Bluebina

Postby actionman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:42 pm

We should be more aggrieved about gunnerson pen if that had been hazard or agguero it would have been given
actionman

Postby Bazforth » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:
Bazforth wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

Clown.

Prick.
Bazforth

Return to General Chat