Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

Gambler's Den
Post a reply

Championship promotion odds / City predicted 3rd

Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:50 pm

' Leeds United backed for title'

Anticipation is building ahead of the new campaign after fixtures for the season were released on Thursday. (Click here for fixtures: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142949#p1512116)

Leeds United are tipped to secure promotion after last season’s play-off heartbreak, according to SportNation.Bet’s latest supercomputer.

Following the release of the Championship fixtures on Thursday morning, the bookie has used a complex calculation based on winner and relegation odds to generate a predicted final Championship league table, with their Supercomputer considering a number of variables including fixture dates, derbies and previous finishing positions.

Marcelo Bielsa’s side look set to put their poor form from the end of last season aside as they enter the 2019/20 season 4/1 favourites for the title, while Fulham (8/1) are predicted to follow them straight back to England’s top flight in second place.

Relegated Cardiff City (9/1) look most likely to finish third and regain a place back in the Premier League via the play-offs
, while West Brom (10/1), Middlesbrough (11/1) and Stoke City (12/1) are predicted to make up the remainder of the play-off spots.

The Potters are expected to be this season’s biggest movers with a leap into sixth following an embarrassing 16th place finish last season, while Boro will build on missing out on the play-offs by a single point last term with a fifth-place finish.

Huddersfield (14/1), who also fell through the Premier League trap-door last season, and last year's play-off finalist’s Derby County (16/1) are set to just miss out on a top six finish in seventh and eighth, respectively. Likewise, Bristol City are forecast to finish smack bang in mid-table.

Meanwhile, League One winners Luton Town have the best chance out of the newly promoted sides with a 17thplaced finish predicted, although it is uncomfortable reading for Charlton and Barnsley, who are the likeliest sides to be relegated at 2/1 and 7/4, respectively.

They will be joined by Mark Warburton’s Queens Park Rangers, who are 5/2 to drop down to League One – however – it will be a close run-in with Wigan Athletic (11/4) and the sides are set to meet in a crucial relegation scrap just five games before the end of the season.

A SportsNation.Bet spokesman said: “With the Championship fixtures now out we can take a look at certain dates that will be crucial come to the end of the season and it is Leeds United who are outright favourites to lift the trophy.

“Fulham will be tightly pushed by Cardiff for second, but it looks likely that the Welsh side will have to earn their place back in the top flight with a play-off final win over West Brom.

“Meanwhile, Charlton and Barnsley fans look set to be in for torrid seasons with QPR are set to drop to League One for the first time in over 10 years.”

Re: Championship promotion odds / City predicted 3rd

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:51 am

Owain wrote:' Leeds United backed for title'

Anticipation is building ahead of the new campaign after fixtures for the season were released on Thursday. (Click here for fixtures: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142949#p1512116)

Leeds United are tipped to secure promotion after last season’s play-off heartbreak, according to SportNation.Bet’s latest supercomputer.

Following the release of the Championship fixtures on Thursday morning, the bookie has used a complex calculation based on winner and relegation odds to generate a predicted final Championship league table, with their Supercomputer considering a number of variables including fixture dates, derbies and previous finishing positions.

Marcelo Bielsa’s side look set to put their poor form from the end of last season aside as they enter the 2019/20 season 4/1 favourites for the title, while Fulham (8/1) are predicted to follow them straight back to England’s top flight in second place.
Bristol City worth a punt this season sadly
Relegated Cardiff City (9/1) look most likely to finish third and regain a place back in the Premier League via the play-offs
, while West Brom (10/1), Middlesbrough (11/1) and Stoke City (12/1) are predicted to make up the remainder of the play-off spots.

The Potters are expected to be this season’s biggest movers with a leap into sixth following an embarrassing 16th place finish last season, while Boro will build on missing out on the play-offs by a single point last term with a fifth-place finish.

Huddersfield (14/1), who also fell through the Premier League trap-door last season, and last year's play-off finalist’s Derby County (16/1) are set to just miss out on a top six finish in seventh and eighth, respectively. Likewise, Bristol City are forecast to finish smack bang in mid-table.

Meanwhile, League One winners Luton Town have the best chance out of the newly promoted sides with a 17thplaced finish predicted, although it is uncomfortable reading for Charlton and Barnsley, who are the likeliest sides to be relegated at 2/1 and 7/4, respectively.

They will be joined by Mark Warburton’s Queens Park Rangers, who are 5/2 to drop down to League One – however – it will be a close run-in with Wigan Athletic (11/4) and the sides are set to meet in a crucial relegation scrap just five games before the end of the season.

A SportsNation.Bet spokesman said: “With the Championship fixtures now out we can take a look at certain dates that will be crucial come to the end of the season and it is Leeds United who are outright favourites to lift the trophy.

“Fulham will be tightly pushed by Cardiff for second, but it looks likely that the Welsh side will have to earn their place back in the top flight with a play-off final win over West Brom.

“Meanwhile, Charlton and Barnsley fans look set to be in for torrid seasons with QPR are set to drop to League One for the first time in over 10 years.”

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 am

Bristol City worth a punt this season l think

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:55 am

Not sure how Leeds given there recent record and squad can be seen as favourites.

Middlesbrough have lost a good manager and the parachute payments

There are two strong teams coming down from the premier league in Cardiff and Fulham.

The top 6 will be

Fulham
Cardiff
West brom
Huddersfield
Leeds
Derby

I would say probably Cardiff and Fulham will be too strong and be top 2 as long as we keep everybody and sign 2 decent midfielders
Our defence and attack will be very good at this level

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:56 am

since64 wrote:Bristol City worth a punt this season l think

Bristol City are so much like we were 10 years ago under Dave Jones. They have a manager who the Chairman won't sack, have good cup runs generally sniff around promotion but fall away badly towards the end of the season and then sell players to balance the books.

You do wonder if they will eventually make the breakthrough but I think their manager is too much like Dave Jones and will always bottle it, not that I am complaining :D

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:06 am

thomasblue wrote:Not sure how Leeds given there recent record and squad can be seen as favourites.

Middlesbrough have lost a good manager and the parachute payments

There are two strong teams coming down from the premier league in Cardiff and Fulham.

The top 6 will be

Fulham
Cardiff
West brom
Huddersfield
Leeds
Derby

I would say probably Cardiff and Fulham will be too strong and be top 2 as long as we keep everybody and sign 2 decent midfielders
Our defence and attack will be very good at this level

Your predictions are very well thought out. I can see why the pundits rate Leeds who were having a brilliant season until their usual collapse :laughing5: I suppose the thinking is they have learnt the lessons and won't repeat them.

Problem is everyone has learnt the lesson on how to beat them so it might be a bit of a slog for them.

My logic is pretty basic goals mean prizes. Last time we did it by sharing them around the team. A good regular scoring striker would be brilliant but if not the likes of Morrison, Paterson, Reid, Ralls have to make continuous contributions. If we can do that again I fancy us to get promotion. :thumbup:

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:13 am

The 'problem' City might have this season is 'expectation' in that the majority of supporters (me included) expect a strong push for automatic promotion and anything less might be seen as failure

My own view is that under Neil Warnock with the squad we have and a couple of sound acquisitions, we can and should be up there; but that is not to discount some pretty good teams who will have other ideas

Not seeing Leeds as anything other than play-off contenders but the likes of Derby, Fulham, West Brom and Middlesbrough will be amongst my contenders

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:27 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
since64 wrote:Bristol City worth a punt this season l think

Bristol City are so much like we were 10 years ago under Dave Jones. They have a manager who the Chairman won't sack, have good cup runs generally sniff around promotion but fall away badly towards the end of the season and then sell players to balance the books.

You do wonder if they will eventually make the breakthrough but I think their manager is too much like Dave Jones and will always bottle it, not that I am complaining :D

I think you've summed them up perfectly!

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Best not to be the FAV in this League ;)

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 am

Sven wrote:The 'problem' City might have this season is 'expectation' in that the majority of supporters (me included) expect a strong push for automatic promotion and anything less might be seen as failure

My own view is that under Neil Warnock with the squad we have and a couple of sound acquisitions, we can and should be up there; but that is not to discount some pretty good teams who will have other ideas

Not seeing Leeds as anything other than play-off contenders but the likes of Derby, Fulham, West Brom and Middlesbrough will be amongst my contenders

Totally agree

and while some of our fans are pretty level headed after a loss some just explode, I think expectations maybe a real problem for us. A lot of teams struggle when they come down.

You only have to look at Stoke last season who most people thought would walk the league and they were nowhere to be seen.
Post a reply