Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Greece bans Britons from going on holiday in the country wh

Sat May 30, 2020 9:48 am

Greece bans Britons from going on holiday in the country when it reopens its borders on June 15 due to high level of UK coronavirus cases and its expected many more countries will follow suit and ban the Uk.

Citizens of 29 countries will be allowed to travel to Greece from June 15

Britain not named as one of the countries due to high number of Covid-19 cases

UK currently has more than 269,000 cases and 37,837 people have died

Re: Greece bans Britons from going on holiday in the country

Sat May 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Greece bans Britons from going on holiday in the country when it reopens its borders on June 15 due to high level of UK coronavirus cases and its expected many more countries will follow suit and ban the Uk.

in fairness some of the other countries not in the list of 29 so banned...
France
Italy
Spain
Netherlands
Belgium
USA
Sweden
Russia
and anyone else with high numbers of covid infections.
I think its sensible

Sat May 30, 2020 5:48 pm

skidemin wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Greece bans Britons from going on holiday in the country when it reopens its borders on June 15 due to high level of UK coronavirus cases and its expected many more countries will follow suit and ban the Uk.

France
Italy
Spain
Netherlands
Belgium
USA
Sweden
Russia
I think its sensible

Crikey, they can open but doubt there will be anyone then looking at that list......

Sat May 30, 2020 6:33 pm

goats wrote:
skidemin wrote:

France
Italy
Spain
Netherlands
Belgium
USA
Sweden
Russia
I think its sensible

Crikey, they can open but doubt there will be anyone then looking at that list......

your welcome there if from countries that include malta, Macedonia, Slovakia, Albania. new Zealand. Estonia, lebanon. Latvia , Lithuania , Germany and ......….CHINA FFS...don't really want to spend any time with the rat eaters anyway so not missing much

Sat May 30, 2020 6:48 pm

skidemin wrote:
goats wrote:
skidemin wrote:

France
Italy
Spain
Netherlands
Belgium
USA
Sweden
Russia
I think its sensible

your welcome there if from countries that include malta, Macedonia, Slovakia, Albania. new Zealand. Estonia, lebanon. Latvia , Lithuania , Germany and ......….CHINA FFS...don't really want to spend any time with the rat eaters anyway so not missing much

Good point with China :shock:

Sun May 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Malta to reopen airport on July 1

Prime Minister Robert Abela confirmed today that Malta's international airport will reopen for passenger flights on July 1, stating, 'we are returning to normality'.

Tourism accounts for almost a quarter of Malta’s economy the Mediterranean island and hoteliers have been pressing the government to reopen the airport or risk mass unemployment, reports Reuters.

Malta, having carried out an intensive testing and contact tracing programme, has reported around 600 coronavirus cases and nine deaths. Non-essential shops and restaurants were allowed to reopen in mid-May, bars will reopen next Friday, but churches and schools remain closed.

Tourism authorities are negotiating ‘safe corridors’ for travel with countries which have low COVID-19 numbers, including Luxembourg, Norway, Serbia, Slovakia, Austria, Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania and Israel. The UK is not yet on this list.

Sun May 31, 2020 12:18 pm

4th day No deaths in Balearics and only 4 new cases . 1.4 million people live here

Sun May 31, 2020 2:23 pm

Can understand why UK holidaymakers not wanted, our death rate and infection numbers will put majority off

Sun May 31, 2020 2:49 pm

I bet the Spanish and Greeks will be gutted that there won’t be any UK holidaymakers this year. Biggest spending tourists in the whole of Europe by some distance.
The Germans come a distant second.

Sun May 31, 2020 9:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:4th day No deaths in Balearics and only 4 new cases . 1.4 million people live here

That’s great news Annis, but it must be a real dilemma for the people living on the Islands.

They totally rely on tourism and their whole economy depends on them

But the thought of thousands and thousands of tourists some of whom will be carrying the virus must fill them with dread. It must be a very difficult balancing act for them

What’s the general feeling over there about the tourists returning??

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:18 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:4th day No deaths in Balearics and only 4 new cases . 1.4 million people live here

That’s great news Annis, but it must be a real dilemma for the people living on the Islands.

But the thought of thousands and thousands of tourists some of whom will be carrying the virus must fill them with dread. It must be a very difficult balancing act for them

The majority if they could afford not have tourism this year would rather the islands stayed closed to the rest of the world, but they can only survive on tourism and need it this year sadly .

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:18 am

The prime minister also referred to the reactivation of the tourism sector. At one point the government was practically writing off the summer season, but given the positive progress of the epidemic in Spain, the administration has been encouraging Spaniards to book vacations from June and has stated that international visitors will be able to return from July 1 onward, when the current two-week quarantine period for overseas arrivals is due to be scrapped.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:24 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

You are spot on :thumbup: they are in a real catch 22 situation. Because seeing pics from beaches in england lately,there are plenty I believe who would travel, for me,I'd love to,but I have decided to wa it till next year, when we hopefully will be out of this situation.for businesses on the islands,and on mainland spain,britains (I believe around 11m of them)visit spain and the islands,that's an awful lot of business that they could lose. Strange and hard times we are under. :old: :bluebird:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:00 am

bluesince62 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

You are spot on :thumbup: they are in a real catch 22 situation. Because seeing pics from beaches in england lately,there are plenty I believe who would travel, for me,I'd love to,but I have decided to wa it till next year, when we hopefully will be out of this situation.for businesses on the islands,and on mainland spain,britains (I believe around 11m of them)visit spain and the islands,that's an awful lot of business that they could lose. Strange and hard times we are under. :old: :bluebird:

im not so sure... its one thing being taken ill in Lulworth cove where you can get home another altogether getting ill in Palma Nova where getting home will involve planes, airports , checks and possibly a refusal to fly .
how much of a concern that will be to people we will find out.. but it could be a catch 22 for both vendors and tourists.. timing is awful for the Med countries. if we were where we are now in early April there would be far less pressure and things could be slowed down somewhat..
its a catch 22 both ways...

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:13 am

bluesince62 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

Same with me, I have no intention of flying anywhere for a long time at least until we have a vaccine or cure which could be 1-2 years away.

The main problem for Brits will be getting home if you do become ill abroad

No new travel insurance policies will cover Covid, there is no guarantee you will be treated free of charge in most overseas hospitals and the option of flying home will be taken away from you as most airlines won’t let you on their planes with any symptoms

I love travelling and have been all over the World in the last 25 years, but it’s just to risky for me to even consider it at present

My wife and I are planning a 3 week tour of the U.K. when things start getting back to normal but that probably won’t be until next spring/summer

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 am

Well the Germans should have no problems getting their towels on the sun loungers then :laughing6:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:04 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

Same with me, I have no intention of flying anywhere for a long time at least until we have a vaccine or cure which could be 1-2 years away.

No new travel insurance policies will cover Covid, there is no guarantee you will be treated free of charge in most overseas hospitals and the option of flying home will be taken away from you as most airlines won’t let you on their planes with any symptoms

I love travelling and have been all over the World in the last 25 years, but it’s just to risky for me to even consider it at present

My wife and I are planning a 3 week tour of the U.K. when things start getting back to normal but that probably won’t be until next spring/summer

It's a pretty fair bet that as soon as Brexit is finalised that no EU countries will provide Brits with free treatment for anything so insurance will go up and, you're right, the new policies will probably exempt COIVID-19 at least until there is a vaccine or treatment.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:22 am

Greece have just lifted the ban on the UK, that never lasted long :lol:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:55 am

Wow!

Short ban indeed

:)

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:59 am

Foghorn65 wrote:Wow!

Short ban indeed

:)

Watch the Uk quarantine be lifted during June, just before the end :thumbright: :thumbright:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:34 am

Forever Blue wrote:Greece have just lifted the ban on the UK, that never lasted long :lol:

Sod them don't go, we know their true feelings they only want our money, the same as the rest of Europe.

Stay in Wales support your own Country, it needs our money :thumbup:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:41 am

Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Greece have just lifted the ban on the UK, that never lasted long :lol:

Sod them don't go, we know their true feelings they only want our money, the same as the rest of Europe.

I agree, the problem is that the way the way things are going we'll be able to fly to Greece but won't be able to drive to the Welsh coast !!

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:53 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I agree, the problem is that the way the way things are going we'll be able to fly to Greece but won't be able to drive to the Welsh coast !!

I know it's a joke, only if you live less than five miles from the airport mind!

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:57 am

Bluebina wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I know it's a joke, only if you live less than five miles from the airport mind!

:lol: :lol: so basically only people in Barry will be able to fly !!!

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:37 pm

must be disappointed in the uptake from Estonia and Latvia :lol:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:18 pm

It was never going to last mate, every country in the world wants the British back as soon as possible Imho

Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:01 pm

RV Casual wrote:

It was never going to last mate, every country in the world wants the British back as soon as possible Imho

I would imagine in an ideal world most countries including ours would love a period of zero incoming travel.
but having said that ive not for a minute understood or believed these large statements from foreign politicians about banning the UK..

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Greece's schools and some hotels reopen

Primary schools and kindergartens reopened here on Monday, with a restriction in place of 15 students per classroom. It is part of the latest easing of the coronavirus restrictions that were imposed in March.

However, not all children came back to school. Many parents decided to keep their children at home, partly because the academic year ends on 26 June and most pupils have no exams ahead.

In addition to schools, those hotels that operate all year round also reopened today to Greeks. Seasonal hotels will follow by opening to foreign visitors on 15 June. People working in the tourism industry hope the summer season can still be saved, although most potential visitors have so far been calling just to find out what the conditions will be like when they do finally return. A 20-page directive issued by the government covers how to train staff to recognise possible coronavirus symptoms and how to handle cleaning of rooms and serving guests.

Some 20 open-air cinemas were due to restart today in Athens, but the bad weather seems to have put a stop to this for now. The all-male monastic community of Mount Athos in northern Greece also opened its gates for the first time since the outbreak of Covid-19, providing special permits to visitors.

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:16 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

im not so sure... its one thing being taken ill in Lulworth cove where you can get home another altogether getting ill in Palma Nova where getting home will involve planes, airports , checks and possibly a refusal to fly .
how much of a concern that will be to people we will find out.. but it could be a catch 22 for both vendors and tourists.. timing is awful for the Med countries. if we were where we are now in early April there would be far less pressure and things could be slowed down somewhat..
its a catch 22 both ways...

Sorry,didn't make it clear,yes it is a catch 22 both ways of course :thumbup: my turkish friend has a restaurant, and is shitting about paying his loans back,as they are talking around late july/august for tourism to resume,which leaves him 3 months of the season left,and even then October is never that busy anyway! I won't travel this year,and one of the main reasons is what you have posted, too many risks involved if you do get symptoms, which if not covered,could prove very costly indeed. :old: :bluebird:

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:39 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

I've found it to be one of the most expensive places to visit if staying in hotels and visiting a lot of places. Air BnB alleviated some of the cost compared to hotels and family the rest last August but car hire, petrol and visits to places were ridiculous. Having family in Barry, London & Scotland doesn't help on petrol cost either but at least the wife got to see 3 countries on her first trip to the UK.