CONFIRMED: CARDIFF SELL PLAYER FOR £428,000

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: CONFIRMED: CARDIFF SELL PLAYER FOR £428,000

Postby derynglas » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:22 pm

In hindsight it’s clear to see now that we overpaid for him, shame really as I genuinely think in the right system he could have done ok.

Nevertheless it’s a high wage off the books, I guess saving £100k a month is a bit of a softener to the fee. Hopefully the quote further up in this thread about it being nearer to a million quid with add ons is more accurate.

Pob lwc RG.
derynglas

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:47 pm

There are some right drama queens on here

Ok we have lost money on a player, but so has every single other club in the football league this season

Unfortunately it’s a sign of the times there is just not the money about at the moment

We are no different to every other single club in the UK
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby blue lagoon » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:56 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:Its only money ffs, stop being obsessed with money everyone.

Well this is some top tier bait :laughing6: :happy1:

Might get a few nibbles,lol,lol
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Re: Glatzel sale price - £425,000

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:16 pm

skidemin wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:Im sorry, but a 5m hit again for a player!!! Another warnock signing thats cost the club.

Whats that to do with smanything i said?? I was referring to warnock, znd his belief he could mold him into a championship striker!! And the fee he thought he was worth@ if you go back, you will finx I thought we paid over tge odds for him, bug still think he was a decent player, not changed my opinion on that.

:laughing5: :laughing5:
youve spent 2 years going on about how good Glatzel is....
bluesince62

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:34 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:Im sorry, but a 5m hit again for a player!!! Another warnock signing thats cost the club.

Birds coming home to roost ... but take 450k + wages off books must be at least 1m in pot for club? Should it be more yes and a bad deal yes but unfortunately the market is totally distorted by covid and clubs struggling to sell anyone for money now so take it move on as all clubs do... plus he as not enhanced his value that's for sure so if expecting 3m+ for him people are being unrealistic.

Sensible post and I agree with all you say
bluebirdoct1962

Postby skidemin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Whats that to do with smanything i said?? I was referring to warnock, znd his belief he could mold him into a championship striker!! And the fee he thought he was worth@ if you go back, you will finx I thought we paid over tge odds for him, bug still think he was a decent player, not changed my opinion on that.

:laughing5: :laughing5:
youve spent 2 years going on about how good Glatzel is....

so Warnocks opinion of him was in line with yours in that he is a decent player..
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 pm

Two words

Corn elius

What are them clowns on Annis’ Facebook on about?

One slating the club when our record of selling players is quite good and the other mixing up bud cliches.

We are gaining 25k a week from his wages. I’m amazed we got a fee for him in today’s market.

Well done to the club.

Now imagine you are Wigan watching Kiefer Moore fire us 20 goals and leading the line in a major championship after selling him for 1.5 million.

That’s the business we should be talking about.

I feel like the Kray twin in Tom Hardy’s film where he storms out of the pub.
maccydee

Postby Man of Harlech » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:54 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Wayne S wrote:It's all well and good saying it's a bad deal or a terrible loss but holding onto him is just making things worse.

We recouped what we could and you then weigh it up against the increased value of Keifer Moore.

Swings and roundabouts.

Spot on.
Every team makes losses like this to a greater or lesser degree.

Off the top of my head I remember Pogba going from Man Utd to Juventus for free or at least a nominal compensation fee. They bought him back for 90+ million.

Its not great for us but its all relative.

But gives the clowns on Fakebook something to beat the club about.

Yes, it's sad when posters on here feel the need to resort to selecting and posting quotes from Facebook or Twitter to support their own views. Its nearly always in criticism of the club.
Man of Harlech

Postby maccydee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Man of Harlech wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Wayne S wrote:It's all well and good saying it's a bad deal or a terrible loss but holding onto him is just making things worse.

We recouped what we could and you then weigh it up against the increased value of Keifer Moore.

Swings and roundabouts.

Spot on.
Every team makes losses like this to a greater or lesser degree.

Off the top of my head I remember Pogba going from Man Utd to Juventus for free or at least a nominal compensation fee. They bought him back for 90+ million.

Its not great for us but its all relative.

But gives the clowns on Fakebook something to beat the club about.

Yes, it's sad when posters on here feel the need to resort to selecting and posting quotes from Facebook or Twitter to support their own views. Its nearly always in criticism of the club.

Standard.

Thing is the ones chosen make the guys on Facebook look so so stupid.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:17 pm

What a shame the pound is doing quite well. Not that long ago it would have been about 460k that
maccydee

Postby Paul Keevil » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:03 pm

You win some you lose some.

We lost £4m on Glatzel

We probably made £12m minimum on Moore
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby Bakedalasker » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:08 am

pauly_gee wrote:Many fans will say it’s a waste of £5m but it’s not truly the case. I remember listening to Simon Jordan on Talk Sport and he was explaining how a players value at both purchase and sale works from the aspect of the club.

If a player signs for, let’s say, £5m on a 4 year deal, that value is placed as an asset on the balance sheet of the club. That asset depreciates by 1/48th each month (the 4 years).

Glatzel was with us for 2 years, so the ‘loss’ (using the example above) would have actually been £2.5m (24/48ths), and if we got £500k for him, then the net ‘loss’ is £2m. That’s assuming we paid £5m for him up front without stepped payments/bonus’ which I doubt we did.

Don’t get me wrong, a loss on any player is a bad thing, but it’s not as large as some would make out.

I read that what Simon Jordan siad.

I compared it to buying a car. As soon as you take it off the Forecourt it loses a lot of its value. The only way you can get your money back is if that car somehow becomes unique. Glatzel was not unique.
Bakedalasker

Postby nojac » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:31 am

didn't we buy Zahore for £250k and sell him for £8m ? Like someone said swings and roundabouts .
Also RG fee was probably including add ons , which he never achieved . I bet what we actually paid for him was south of £2m !
nojac

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 am

pauly_gee wrote:
pauly_gee wrote:Many fans will say it’s a waste of £5m but it’s not truly the case. I remember listening to Simon Jordan on Talk Sport and he was explaining how a players value at both purchase and sale works from the aspect of the club.

If a player signs for, let’s say, £5m on a 4 year deal, that value is placed as an asset on the balance sheet of the club. That asset depreciates by 1/48th each month (the 4 years).

Glatzel was with us for 2 years, so the ‘loss’ (using the example above) would have actually been £2.5m (24/48ths), and if we got £500k for him, then the net ‘loss’ is £2m. That’s assuming we paid £5m for him up front without stepped payments/bonus’ which I doubt we did.

Don’t get me wrong, a loss on any player is a bad thing, but it’s not as large as some would make out.

Plus, having checked, he only signed a 3 year deal (36months) which means his ‘true’ value would have only been around £1.6m, last year of his contract, so to recoup £500k in that example isn’t too bad.

If you also take in the consideration that we have saved £1.3m in wages (plus national insurance contributions) CCFC could claim to have made money (around £300,000)
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Llantwit bluebird » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:17 am

I remember watching him the first few games after we signed him and he looked really good, fit fast and good control. Slowly but surely that was taken away from him due to the awful style we played under Warnock. Shame but like so many others we signed they regressed
Llantwit bluebird

Postby skidemin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:34 am

Llantwit bluebird wrote:I remember watching him the first few games after we signed him and he looked really good, fit fast and good control. Slowly but surely that was taken away from him due to the awful style we played under Warnock. Shame but like so many others we signed they regressed

waw.....you can have pace and good control taken away from you by being asked to play in a different system..... :?
skidemin

Postby Pantmawr Bluebird » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:56 am

Will always remember his goal vs Leeds away 3-3 end result after being 3-0 down

And Morrison got sent off
Pantmawr Bluebird

Postby fred keenor » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:39 am

Incredible loss, just shows how much NW was backed in the transfer market.
Don’t think MM would have made such a signing and how he could do with that 5million to spend now .
fred keenor

Postby Sven » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:46 am

Igovernor wrote:No one knows what the fee is as it is undisclosed, the figure bandied about is what papers are guessing at.

You is right mate; and the positive spin from this I that if you write off the original fee paid, then whatever return we get for a place who didn't succeed here (not all his fault IMHO) it could be seen as a bonus figure coming in...

Glass half-full or half-empty moment again; depending on people's desire to be positive/negative going forward into a very tough season for all financially ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby maccydee » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:16 am

Sven wrote:
Igovernor wrote:No one knows what the fee is as it is undisclosed, the figure bandied about is what papers are guessing at.

You is right mate; and the positive spin from this I that if you write off the original fee paid, then whatever return we get for a place who didn't succeed here (not all his fault IMHO) it could be seen as a bonus figure coming in...

Glass half-full or half-empty moment again; depending on people's desire to be positive/negative going forward into a very tough season for all financially ;)

I think most are in that place.

Just the usuals who are going OTT with it being the end of the world.

Always an agenda.
maccydee

Postby blue lagoon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:39 am

Modern day football culture dont give time for a player to settle.

How many players over the years just needed time to settle. Its obviously a different philosophy now. I remember Ronaldo being dog shit in his first season or 2 and Thiery Henry.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby skidemin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:55 am

[quote="blue lagoon"]Modern day football culture dont give time for a player to settle.

How many players over the years just needed time to settle. Its obviously a different philosophy now. I remember Ronaldo being dog shit in his first season or 2 and Thiery Henry.[/quot

:shock:
skidemin

Postby bluebird58 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:54 pm

If we’d waited a year we’d have got no transfer fee and paid 1 and a quarter million more in wages. Sounds like good business to me to get rid of a player we don’t need.

At least he was good enough for the first team, unlike the debacle of Cornelius which MM presided over and cost the club at least £3m plus wages. But the blessed Malky could do no wrong.

Equally, the club paid £2m for Moore a year ago who is now allegedly worth £15m. But don’t praise the present regime for that as they can do no right.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby stickywicket » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 pm

It's the conversation which led to to the £428k I'm intrigued by.
Such a strange amount.
It seems we have a couple of second hand car spivs on the transfer committee.
stickywicket

Postby WestCoastBlue » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 pm

stickywicket wrote:It's the conversation which led to to the £428k I'm intrigued by.
Such a strange amount.

It equates to pretty much exactly €500k, so the people negotiating the transfer must’ve done it in Euros to get a nice round figure.
WestCoastBlue

Postby skidemin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:27 pm

stickywicket wrote:It's the conversation which led to to the £428k I'm intrigued by.
Such a strange amount.

have you read the opening post ?
skidemin

Postby glas » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:36 pm

bluebird58 wrote:If we’d waited a year we’d have got no transfer fee and paid 1 and a quarter million more in wages. Sounds like good business to me to get rid of a player we don’t need.

At least he was good enough for the first team, unlike the debacle of Cornelius which MM presided over and cost the club at least £3m plus wages. But the blessed Malky could do no wrong.

Equally, the club paid £2m for Moore a year ago who is now allegedly worth £15m. But don’t praise the present regime for that as they can do no right.

We should have bought the Andreas Cornelius who plays in the Italian top league ( has done for years) and is still in the Denmark squad that is into the last 16 of the Euros.

When he came to us he was young, inexperienced and in a different country. He also suffered a near career ending injury while here, so I am not sure he was that bad.
glas

Postby skidemin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:08 pm

glas wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:If we’d waited a year we’d have got no transfer fee and paid 1 and a quarter million more in wages. Sounds like good business to me to get rid of a player we don’t need.

We should have bought the Andreas Cornelius who plays in the Italian top league ( has done for years) and is still in the Denmark squad that is into the last 16 of the Euros.

When he came to us he was young, inexperienced and in a different country. He also suffered a near career ending injury while here, so I am not sure he was that bad.

not for the money we paid we shouldnt.... all these years later still nobody has paid even half of that transfer fee we paid.
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:36 pm

Such a strange amount.

Maybe the worst attempt to discredit the transfer committee while making yourself looking a complete c**t yet. I know there is a lot of competition but you are up there
maccydee

Postby AfricanBluebird » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:26 am

Glatzel has been one of many bad signings made by Warnock and cost the club a fortune.

Like you are warned not to feed Gremlins after dark, Warnock should also come with a warning "do not give me more than 500k transfer kitty"... he's brilliant with frees and low cost players, anything more than 500K and he was/is, quite frankly, hopeless, especially for attacking players.

He can't take all the blame though, the transfer committee - what a joke. I know Scott Johnson has his critics but he is a better scout than any at the club. Although thankfully the recent signings seem to be well considered and much better value for money.

In terms of Glatzels departure, 500k is 500k and we will make huge salary savings. We were never likely to get more money for him. At least he's off the payroll.
AfricanBluebird

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat