Predictions for the season?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Predictions for the season?

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:04 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:I hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see anything other than a struggle this season, and I think that the higher echelons at our club will be quite happy if we manage to keep above the bottom three. There’s no enthusiasm whatever coming from the CCS, so fair enough, it’s all about survival. There’s been a lot of talk about a reset, or a reboot this season,,, but didn’t we have one of those this time last season?

When you stop getting better, you start getting worse, such was the case last season, and I haven’t seen any evidence of improvements being made to better last season’s challenges. Like I said earlier, I hope I’m wrong, but like many older posters on this forum, I can see see and hear echoes of the past being repeated this season, which doesn’t bode all that well in my opinion.

So it's a struggle to stay above bottom 3 if hyarchy is happy with that we've nowhere else to go following season but relegation? As same thing next season regarding getting players in.... going to be a lot of teams struggling to stay above bottom 3 though this season as all in same boat or worse!

This is my prediction for next season, as the title of the thread asks. This is my opinion, so like it or not, there we are!

Nothing wrong at all with your prediction just pointing out if this is what you expect and feel for this season it will be worse season after.... my point was it will mean relegation following season as same scenario regarding players as this season but with the loss of Moore at least? A very gloomy prospect for the near future
pembroke allan

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby RICK+CCFC » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:I hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see anything other than a struggle this season, and I think that the higher echelons at our club will be quite happy if we manage to keep above the bottom three. There’s no enthusiasm whatever coming from the CCS, so fair enough, it’s all about survival. There’s been a lot of talk about a reset, or a reboot this season,,, but didn’t we have one of those this time last season?

When you stop getting better, you start getting worse, such was the case last season, and I haven’t seen any evidence of improvements being made to better last season’s challenges. Like I said earlier, I hope I’m wrong, but like many older posters on this forum, I can see see and hear echoes of the past being repeated this season, which doesn’t bode all that well in my opinion.

So it's a struggle to stay above bottom 3 if hyarchy is happy with that we've nowhere else to go following season but relegation? As same thing next season regarding getting players in.... going to be a lot of teams struggling to stay above bottom 3 though this season as all in same boat or worse!

This is my prediction for next season, as the title of the thread asks. This is my opinion, so like it or not, there we are!

Nothing wrong at all with your prediction just pointing out if this is what you expect and feel for this season it will be worse season after.... my point was it will mean relegation following season as same scenario regarding players as this season but with the loss of Moore at least? A very gloomy prospect for the near future

That’s exactly how I see and predict this season Allan, like I said, “when you stop getting better, you start getting worse”, and my point was that this is the third season on the bounce, since our relegation from Premiership, where we are potentially starting the new season weaker than the previous season.
I don’t know what’s around the corner, who knows we may well signe a couple of top notch players in the next week or two, but as things currently stand I’m personal not holding my breath,,,, and I really do hope I’m wrong, but If we loose KM as some have hinted, then this would only exacerbate the whole situation.
RICK+CCFC

Postby DeepBlueFC2 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 pm

Top 6.

Absolutely no reason why we can't. Find it laughable at the suggestions that starting a new season with the same team as last year but without Johnny Williams, Wilson, Bennett & Ojo is a recipe for disaster. I've always - and often people here - called for our younger players be given a chance. And suddenly when Mick has a full pre season to have a look at them and try combinations of youngsters out that may or may not work, we have fans cowering behind other peoples claims and opinions on our team. Guys. We have exactly the same team as last year minus Wilson, Ojo and Bennett.

Just to clarify, I believe we have sufficient cover for those 3 players, 2 of which have proven that they are good enough.

Wilson - Tomlin
Bennett - Bagan/Giles
Ojo - Giles

With that covered, the only other thing we were crying for last season was a replacement for Moore, and I personally think Collins has done as well as you could hope for a striker in pre season. No, he's not Moore, far from the quality that Moore has, but who are we kidding? We were never going to get Moore as a replacement for Moore. Collins is as good of a replacement as you could hope.

Ontop of that, a full pre season where some youngsters impressed, and others not quite. But the ones who did will be a bonus this season. Don't let a full pre season of mixed personnel fool you into thinking we've suddenly turned into a poor team. We have a good squad with a good manager. How quickly peoples opinions can change is not suprising. It happens all the time. As I said. Top 6, minimum.
DeepBlueFC2

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:38 pm

Everyone allowed their opinions :thumbright: :thumbright:

Position 14th maybe 16th come May 2022

I hope I am wrong , never felt so down about us since the 90’s :cry: :cry:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Igovernor » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Everyone allowed their opinions :thumbright: :thumbright:

Annis top 6 for me :shock: :lol: :ayatollah:
Igovernor

Postby kav_8 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:19 pm

Half full::
Moore and Collins score goals, the youth flourishes & we are in the top 6 at Christmas.

Half empty:
11th at Christmas, 19tb end of season having sold whatever assets seem appealing.
kav_8

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 pm

Top 10 for me, with a possibility of a play off birth.onwards and upwards, C'MON CITY :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
bluesince62

Postby Blueberry Jam » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:19 am

RELEGATION
Blueberry Jam

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:20 am

Igovernor wrote:

Fair play Roger :bluebird:

I honestly sadly do not see it :cry:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Igovernor » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:58 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

Annis 4 weeks to go before the window closes ;) :ayatollah:
Igovernor

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 am

Igovernor wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

Annis 4 weeks to go before the window closes ;) :ayatollah:

Roger, if we sign more then I will update my views :lol: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sneggyblubird » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:38 am

I think its how you see the replacements vs whats gone out the door.

Only my opinion but Ojo and Wilson though clearly talented did not dominate the league and I'd rather them gone than Kieffer Moore.Some people have also picked up on MM being cool on Marly Watkins so if he decided on losing him would that open the door to get someone else in.(maybe Ojo)

If our marmite man can stay fit and uninjured at least he is capable of tearing this league a new one.

Our defence I think will be at least as good as last season but this time we have better cover across all positions.

The vexing question is about midfield.I'm guessing that MM has seen enough of Pack,Ralls and Valks playing at the same time as although each has there own merits playing a forward pass is not one of them.I suppose we'll have to wait and see if any of the new lads can address this issue as for me this is the reason we are being held back.If he fixes that then I think we'll have a god season.Playoffs a sensible expectation for me.
Sneggyblubird

Postby Double G » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:54 am

10th to 12th if we aint getting anymore in. Im expecting outs and likely loans to come in tho
Double G

Postby Escott1927 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:03 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:I think its how you see the replacements vs whats gone out the door.

Only my opinion but Ojo and Wilson though clearly talented did not dominate the league and I'd rather them gone than Kieffer Moore.Some people have also picked up on MM being cool on Marly Watkins so if he decided on losing him would that open the door to get someone else in.(maybe Ojo)

If our marmite man can stay fit and uninjured at least he is capable of tearing this league a new one.

Our defence I think will be at least as good as last season but this time we have better cover across all positions.

The vexing question is about midfield.I'm guessing that MM has seen enough of Pack,Ralls and Valks playing at the same time as although each has there own merits playing a forward pass is not one of them.I suppose we'll have to wait and see if any of the new lads can address this issue as for me this is the reason we are being held back.If he fixes that then I think we'll have a god season.Playoffs a sensible expectation for me.

Wilson and ojo were involved in nearly half our goals last season. They are definitely going to be a massive loss for us. Quite happy with the players we have brought in so far - plus NG and Moore from last season as well - but I think we need at least 2 more players coming in on top of any that leave. 1 or 2 injuries and we could be heavily relying on youth players in the starting 11 which already includes players like colwill, sang and bagan. Definitely need a few more bodies through the door.
Escott1927

Postby kimble » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:06 am

I am of the same opinion as Annis, and likewise would update my views if more came in,..I hope I am wrong
but i think we will be lower half
kimble

Postby NPCF3 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:15 pm

Deffo need more players. I fear we will get off to a slow start to the season due to the disruption of the Euros/Players coming back requiring to go into quarantine, add to that Morrison not starting the season at full-tilt.

If we're Top 10 in January and can get a loan or two in then that'd be decent. Expecting a frustrating season...

But then again, I do like the look of Collins, a real Helguson type of player, very streetwise in this division.
NPCF3

Postby DeepBlueFC2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:22 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:I think its how you see the replacements vs whats gone out the door.

Wilson and ojo were involved in nearly half our goals last season. They are definitely going to be a massive loss for us. Quite happy with the players we have brought in so far - plus NG and Moore from last season as well - but I think we need at least 2 more players coming in on top of any that leave. 1 or 2 injuries and we could be heavily relying on youth players in the starting 11 which already includes players like colwill, sang and bagan. Definitely need a few more bodies through the door.

I think you’re missing the point. You really think Tomlin won’t get anywhere near the goal/assist contributions that Wilson got for us? You do realise if you take away his stats for us from the games since playoffs were out of reach, he achieved like half his goal tally and some assists in games that didn’t matter where the pressure was off. You forget his hat trick in a game that didn’t matter. Etc etc.

You think Ojo was that good? You think so little of Giles that you’re already dismissing his goal contributions this season? I feel more confident with Giles in our team than I do Ojo..

For everyone scared of Barnsley next week. In our 2-2 draw to them away last season, the only 2 players in our starting 11 who aren’t here anymore we’re Hoilett and Ojo. Every sub we brought on are still at the club. And we even had Joe Ralls playing the whole game as a number 10! I may remind you also that Bagan started that game too.

Wilson didn’t play at all in that game against Barnsley. If we replace Ralls with Tomlin, Already that’s a better 11 than last season against them, and let’s be real Barnsley aren’t going to be as good as they were last season either.

We also have cover for injuries, you can say as much as you want to that we don’t, but if you give me an injury, I give you a suitable replacement.

People forgetting Ralls who did awful as a number 10 and Bacuna who was hit and miss as a winger last season, and we still got results in those games. We’re better prepared now, wether you want to believe the facts or not, I can’t help you.
DeepBlueFC2

Postby Scoularite » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:47 pm

The three relegated teams seem to have a big advantage this season while our pre-season has not been inspiring, but we were missing a few key players. I've got a feeling that a lot is going to depend upon how Rubin Colwill slots in and whether Lee Tomlin is fit enough to make an impact - If they come good then we could push for the playoffs, but if not bottom half.
Scoularite

Postby Abergavenny » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Anywhere between 10th and 14th with current squad If we do get some quality additions then top eight but not top 4
Abergavenny

Postby Big Hill Blue » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 pm

fred keenor wrote:
Big Hill Blue wrote:Looking through the teams in this division, I'm struggling to see anyone beating us.

Therefore, I predict us going up as runaway champions.

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :D

Onwards and upwards C'mon City

Are you Mehmet Dalman or Ken Choo :-)[/quote

Nah. :)
Big Hill Blue

Postby Kenbird1927 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:46 pm

12th unless,we bring in 2 wingers and a attacking midfielder tomlins not the answer
Kenbird1927

Postby skidemin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:44 pm

DeepBlueFC2 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

I think you’re missing the point. You really think Tomlin won’t get anywhere near the goal/assist contributions that Wilson got for us? You do realise if you take away his stats for us from the games since playoffs were out of reach, he achieved like half his goal tally and some assists in games that didn’t matter where the pressure was off. You forget his hat trick in a game that didn’t matter. Etc etc.

You think Ojo was that good? You think so little of Giles that you’re already dismissing his goal contributions this season? I feel more confident with Giles in our team than I do Ojo..

For everyone scared of Barnsley next week. In our 2-2 draw to them away last season, the only 2 players in our starting 11 who aren’t here anymore we’re Hoilett and Ojo. Every sub we brought on are still at the club. And we even had Joe Ralls playing the whole game as a number 10! I may remind you also that Bagan started that game too.

Wilson didn’t play at all in that game against Barnsley. If we replace Ralls with Tomlin, Already that’s a better 11 than last season against them, and let’s be real Barnsley aren’t going to be as good as they were last season either.

We also have cover for injuries, you can say as much as you want to that we don’t, but if you give me an injury, I give you a suitable replacement.

People forgetting Ralls who did awful as a number 10 and Bacuna who was hit and miss as a winger last season, and we still got results in those games. We’re better prepared now, wether you want to believe the facts or not, I can’t help you.

i think he is fully aware of how good Tomlin can be... trouble is he is also aware of how unreliable .. for 3 of the 4 seasons he has been here you or I would have been more use...if he plays great but i think most would see it more as a bonus than something that can be relied on...
skidemin

Postby RICK+CCFC » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:32 pm

skidemin wrote:
DeepBlueFC2 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

i think he is fully aware of how good Tomlin can be... trouble is he is also aware of how unreliable .. for 3 of the 4 seasons he has been here you or I would have been more use...if he plays great but i think most would see it more as a bonus than something that can be relied on...

Neil Warnock was certainly aware of how good, and how unreliable Tomlin could be, and so was Neil Harris, and the transfer committee,,, so much so that they extended his contract by another season in January 20.
RICK+CCFC

Postby skidemin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:49 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
skidemin wrote:
DeepBlueFC2 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

Neil Warnock was certainly aware of how good, and how unreliable Tomlin could be, and so was Neil Harris, and the transfer committee,,, so much so that they extended his contract by another season in January 20.

i dint think anyone knew or thought it would have been as bad as it has...he had a good six month loan at BC which led to them buying him ..his one full season there did tail off but they had 30 plus games out of him....
skidemin

Postby Escott1927 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:08 pm

DeepBlueFC2 wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

Any other assumptions you want to make? :lol:

Wilson had a poor season by his own admission. But he played over half the season under an inept manager in a poorly performing team. I have defended Tomlin a lot on here. I do not doubt his ability, but his fitness will be an issue. I'm not convinced Mick will even play him if he can help it anyway. Maybe we could have sold Tomlin to Fulham for half the price they paid for wilson and saved them £6mill?

Like all wingers ojo blew hot and cold. Maybe he could have been more consistent but like Wilson, he was part of an under performing team for most of the season. I have never seen Giles kick a football so havnt dismissed anything or have an opinion of him as a player yet.

You probably could give me a replacement for an injured player. But like last season, at some point we will probably have several players out and maybe a few more through isolation. Ralls played LB last season due to injuries and the squad is smaller this season. A few injuries and we are relying on youth. And we seen how that went for brum when they fielded too many youth players (wilson scored a hat trick) .

Not sure what facts you're referring to and what I need help with. The facts are wilson and ojo contributed to half our goals last season, we have no idea how Giles will perform, and we struggled with injuries last season and now our squad is smaller and contains a lot less experience. I wouldnt say we are better prepared as things stand.
Escott1927

Postby MR BIRCHGROVE » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:13 am

Finding it hard to be optimistic about the coming season.
I just can't see many goals in the squad other than the threat of Moore and Collins.
Not sure we have the goal providers either.
I predict a poor start, with hopefully an improving picture as players become match fit.
I go for 15th.
MR BIRCHGROVE

Postby Igovernor » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:15 am

MR BIRCHGROVE wrote:Finding it hard to be optimistic about the coming season.
I just can't see many goals in the squad other than the threat of Moore and Collins.
Not sure we have the goal providers either.
I predict a poor start, with hopefully an improving picture as players become match fit.
I go for 15th.

Patience ;)
Igovernor

Postby FOOTSOLDIER » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:41 am

Mid table just ticking over :bluescarf:
FOOTSOLDIER

Postby Ketteringblues » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 pm

All depends on Moore.
Keep him and we’ll finish 16th.
Lose him and I fear we’ll go down.

No creativity in the side and Tomlin isn’t up to it, especially not for an entire season.
MM’s uber defensive mindset will come to haunt us. You can only go so far on hoof and run. Without Moore to hold the ball up (and stop it coming straight back) we’re in trouble. None of our current side are comfortable with the ball at their feet. A “shit I don’t want it” hot potato.
Do not understand why we have a policy of buying lower division players in the hope they can make the grade, instead of perhaps loaning young or fringe Premiership players with a point to prove.
It really says it all when we’re worried over the possibility of losing Brown ffs.
Apologies if I seem like a doom monger. I sincerely hope I’m wrong and it won’t stop me driving 350 miles to support whoever wears the shirt (no matter how shit they are! :laughing6: )
Ketteringblues

Postby Big Hill Blue » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 pm

Champions.
Big Hill Blue

Previous

Return to General Chat