Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Marley Watkins / Mick McCarthy happy with his squad

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:33 am

Marley Watkins turned out for a second time for Cardiff City during this pre-season campaign on Tuesday night.

The one-cap Wales international played in the 5-0 drubbing of Bath City earlier in the summer but the intensity was ramped up again during the clash with Premier League opposition Southampton.

It prompted many to believe that City were on the verge of signing the former Bristol City and Norwich City forward, who has been without a club since leaving the former earlier this summer.

Mick McCarthy said he was pleased with how the player performed in the first half against Southampton, but made no guarantees over signing the free agent.

"The answer to that is I'm not sure," McCarthy said after the match.

"Marley asked if he could come in and train. I've known Marley a long time, I like him, he played at Barnsley and had a very good time.

"He's had a couple of injuries which have restricted him.

"I said, 'Look, you can come in and train' and, to be honest, with our lack of numbers it's been good to have him.

"I thought he did alright in the first half. But there's no promises on anything.

"But I thought he started the game really well. He did OK."

The Bluebirds have recruited free transfers James Collins, Ryan Wintle and Mark McGuinness already this summer, while Ryan Giles has penned a season-long loan deal in the Welsh capital.

McCarthy certainly appears happy with his squad, too, because he reiterated once again that he believes the Bluebirds' business to be done for the window.

“I have a big squad and we can certainly do well with this bunch.”

"I thought Mark McGuinness was the pick of the bunch today, he's played very well. I've no doubt he's going to be a very good player for us.”

"Ryan Wintle, he's got a groin [injury], but he's done well. James Collins got a rest today, but he's got four goals and done well.

"But I don't see much action in the transfer market with us.

"We'll be going with pretty much what we have."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Marley Watkins / Mick McCarthy happy with his squad

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:35 am

So far Cardiff have signed five new players, four were Free Agents, plus one season long loan signing. :bluebird: :bluebird:

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ CARDIFF CITY SQUAD 2021-22 “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

1. PHILLIPS, Dillon

2. McGUINNESS, Mark

3. BAGAN, Joel

4. MORRISON, Sean (C)

5. FLINT, Aden

6. VAULKS, Will

7. BACUNA, Leandro

8. RALLS, Joe

10. MOORE, Kieffer

11. MURPHY, Josh

14. VASSELL, Isaac

15. WINTLE, Ryan

16. NELSON, Curtis

17. TOMLIN, Lee

19. COLLINS, James

20. WHYTE, Gavin

21. PACK, Marlon

25. SMITHIES, Alex

26. GILES, Ryan

27. COLWILL, Rubin

28. SANG, Tom

29. HARRIS, Mark

30. BROWN, Ciaron

31. RATCLIFFE, George

36. EVANS, Kieron

37. BOWEN, Sam

38. NG, Perry

39. DAVIES, Isaak

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:41 am

It’s quite scary that he’s said we’ll go with what we’ve got. We finished outside the playoffs last year, and we have not really improved the first 11. Wintle, Giles and McGuinness could well improve it but it’s hard to say they will based on pre-season so far. And there’s no way MM will leave out Vaulks from his starting line up, so I doubt we’ll see much of Wintle to begin with. And we’ve lost Joe Bennett who will be hugely missed, I think Joel Bagan is certainly a decent player but he’s not Bennett standard yet. Also Harry Wilson has left. So if anything our starting 11 is slightly weaker this year.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:It’s quite scary that he’s said we’ll go with what we’ve got. We finished outside the playoffs last year, and we have not really improved the first 11. Wintle, Giles and McGuinness could well improve it but it’s hard to say they will based on pre-season so far. And there’s no way MM will leave out Vaulks from his starting line up, so I doubt we’ll see much of Wintle to begin with. And we’ve lost Joe Bennett who will be hugely missed, I think Joel Bagan is certainly a decent player but he’s not Bennett standard yet. Also Harry Wilson has left. So if anything our starting 11 is slightly weaker this year.

its not our best starting 11 i am concerned about so much...its depth , to some degree we used 30 players in the lge last season and 29 the season before .... this year we have named 27 , 8 of whom were academy players last season { 4 did play a little } and 2 of out 3 new signings have not played at this level .. i felt we needed another 2 or 3 in but instead im reading about more players leaving... disappointing...

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:53 pm

Why play Watkins as a trialist if he is only at the club to get fit :shock:

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:54 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:It’s quite scary that he’s said we’ll go with what we’ve got. We finished outside the playoffs last year, and we have not really improved the first 11. Wintle, Giles and McGuinness could well improve it but it’s hard to say they will based on pre-season so far. And there’s no way MM will leave out Vaulks from his starting line up, so I doubt we’ll see much of Wintle to begin with. And we’ve lost Joe Bennett who will be hugely missed, I think Joel Bagan is certainly a decent player but he’s not Bennett standard yet. Also Harry Wilson has left. So if anything our starting 11 is slightly weaker this year.

I'm not sure about your point about Wintle.

I would guess that holding midfielders will be Vaulks and Wintle. Ralls, Pack and Bacuna may well struggle to shift them if they start well.

Generally I'm pretty happy with the squad. We're stronger upfront with the addition of Collins (as long as we keep Moore). At the back we're stronger with the signing of McGuinness. Full backs are now fit although I would accept we could do with either re-signing or replacing Bennett.

I do think that we should look to get a decent loan signing in to replace Wilson. I know people will say Tomlin is now fit but, frankly, Tomlin is probably fit by his standards but I don't think that equates to being fit enough to play 90 mins of Championship football. I would much rather have a decent quality loan from the Prem than a Championship or lower level in that number 10 position. We know it can be done because we got Wilson (and, to a lesser degree, Ojo) last season.

MM has said transfer activity was over but loans, notoriously, are often right at the last minute when players/managers decide on who is going to be getting a regular game and who could do with action elsewhere. So I wouldn't rule it out.

Finally, I still worry that Moore will go. I understand that he's on a pretty low wage and he may not have a better chance of a move to the Prem on the back of his best ever season. We need to reward him with a contract that reflects his worth to us and then just hope that clubs stay away.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Igovernor wrote:Why play Watkins as a trialist if he is only at the club to get fit :shock:

Roger, MM and MW have known each other for a long time. I could give you a long list of other players training/playing with other clubs to get fit. Most will be near their family and homes.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:48 pm

Where was Wintle last night ?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Blueberry Jam wrote:Where was Wintle last night ?

I think he’s out with a hip problem.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:03 pm

The worrying words for me are "short on numbers" ?? I'm going to be straight here, MM wasn't even on my list when Harris went, but got behind him, as I always will, whoever is in charge, but the results over last 10 games?? His brand of "no lose" football, will not be pleasing to watch! My hope is he stuffs my opinions of him and his capability of turning us into promotion hopefuls, down my throat!
In saying that, I do not fear a relegation battle, but am not coined we will be near the very top, a play off birth at best, top 10 at worst I feel, which considering what an 18 mths it has been, is acceptable to myself, I know others feel differently, and that's their right, but my concern is our brand of football, I'm hoping he will go two up top at home at least, and away where it's deemed suitable, tomlin gives us he "season" we deserve, and we add two starters to what we have, 3 would be great though.
But the short in numbers, is a familiar statement of late :sad7: :old: :bluebird: o

Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:13 am

Good Luck To The Lads - This Season :bluebird: