Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEW FORMATION?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:08 pm

don't think I am the only Cardiff fan who can see glaring flaws in our formation. We have full backs playing wing backs, and we expect them to carry a huge amount of the attacking threat. We don't have CB who can carry the ball forward. Not enough pace in the centre of the park to only play two there. Only one winger. And a big disconnect from our defence and attack. With the players we have, who I do think are cable of playing well in the right formation, this would be my team for Saturday. 442 (narrow diamond)

Philips solid keeper, though would also be happy with smithies

RB - NG ( NG is not a wing back in my eyes. He doesn't have the pace or the ability to take on his man. But he can link up play well, defend and put in a good cross. We are not playing to either full backs strengths at the moment, and relying on them for our attacking threat, which we haveto do in a 5 2 3 is mind boggling.

CB - SM - Not to much to add. He's a leader, aerial threat and on his day one of the best CB in the championship.

CB - Nelson. - this was a tough one. Not that I don't rate flint, but think him and morriosn don't have enough pace between them. I do rate flint a bit higher than Nelson, but Nelson complaints morriosn better.

LB Giles - harsh on bagan, but for me Giles is a must. We don't have another winger to playe 5 2 3/442/433 effectively. So this is where he fits best in my eyes.

CDM Pack - Pack, though not flashy, can pass and help us keep hold of the ball well. We don't have a CB (or at least enough) to carry the ball forward, an attribute that is needed in at least 2/3 CB when playing a back 5. So my solution, give Marlon Pack the job connecting midfield with defence. He has been very quite, but quite doesn't always mean not playing well.

RCM - Bowen/sang we dont have enough wingers and have been playing fullbacks as wing backs, but the one position where we have plenty of players is the middile of the park. Both Bowen and sang seem to be decent at carrying the ball and picking out a pass. So by over loading the midfield, gives our full backs more players to link up with rather than needing to go 1-1.

LCM - Rally - similar point to above. Rally is neither a cdm or CAM. He's your run of the mill CM.

CAM - cowil - we've seen glimpse of what he can do. Now it's about constancy. Give him a free role here. Allow him to express himself and encourage him to be unpredictable.

ST KM - well whole else here?
ST MH - Mark Harris is not a winger, and in our other formation he plays to wide. Another case of asking a player to play out of position. He needs to be close to KM, running behind. Big man little man combo.

Thoughts?

Re: NEW FORMATION?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 pm

The only concern I’d have there would be Giles as a LB where he could be seriously exposed defensively. At most I’d have him as a LWB with more opportunity to push forward, but in all honesty, I’d be reluctant to play our most creative outlet thus far anywhere other than the front 3.

Good point about Nelson complimenting Morrison more than Flint. I also feel Morrison gets exposed more nearer the touchline when playing right of a back 3 where there’s generally more space for opponents to take advantage of his lack of pace and the RB (as opposed to RWB) would provide more protection in a back 4.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:52 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:The only concern I’d have there would be Giles as a LB where he could be seriously exposed defensively. At most I’d have him as a LWB with more opportunity to push forward, but in all honesty, I’d be reluctant to play our most creative outlet thus far anywhere other than the front 3.

Good point about Nelson complimenting Morrison more than Flint. I also feel Morrison gets exposed more nearer the touchline when playing right of a back 3 where there’s generally more space for opponents to take advantage of his lack of pace and the RB (as opposed to RWB) would provide more protection in a back 4.

I agree with what you say about ideally you would want Giles in a front 3, but genuinely don't think we have another winger on our books to play with wingers. I honestly think we have very decent players, but it's players that are hard to build a team with.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:04 am

Sadly MM has boxed himself, or maybe the board did, into a corner as we have no naturally wide or pacey players other than Giles Who is an on loan converted left wing back.

So I struggle to see how 4 4 2 would work but I have given a 4141 formation a bit of a go...

However, this would be my team, based on current players available... (I fully realise MM would never pick these)..

GK: Phillips
LB: Bagan
CD: Flint (toss up between Morrison and Flint but Morrison has not started the season well - on form he would be my choice)
CD: Nelson
RB: NG
CDM: Pack
CM: Ralls
CM: Sang or Bowen
AMR: Colwill or Semenyo (Colwill isn't a natural winger so we have so few options so he may have to slot in. as for Semenyo - seriously this guy seems the most natural right winger in the entire squad so I would have him on the bench)
AML: Giles
ST: Moore

If we stick with 5 at the back then:

GK: Phillips
LWB: Giles
CD: Flint or Morrison
CD: McGuniess
CD: Nelson or Morrison
RWB: Sang
CM: Pack
CM: Ralls
AMC: Harris
AMC: Colwill
ST: Moore

Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 am

I like that re Diamond but worry about lack of width and crossing.

I’d make changes to your team at left back (Bagan) AM (Giles) and the other striker being Colwill.

Colwill and Giles would have free roles (within reason) to give us some width.

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:35 pm

Aye, that could be a thought. Seems a consensus that Giles needs to be am free role

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:05 am

I only disagree with Giles. He is our only real creative threat and MUST be played in an attacking role.