Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Another younster lost from the academy

Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:33 am

Unfair system
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Another younster lost from the academy

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm

wez1927 wrote:Unfair system

Wez, we only have ourselves to blame. If we were a CAT1 Academy (Only costs £2m more per year than a CAT2) then we wouldnt lose players like this - I dont think CAT1 are allowed to poach from other CAT1 clubs.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:25 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:

Wez, we only have ourselves to blame. If we were a CAT1 Academy (Only costs £2m more per year than a CAT2) then we wouldnt lose players like this - I dont think CAT1 are allowed to poach from other CAT1 clubs.

Only 2m? That's quite a lot when you're 100m in debt already

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:35 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

It is I agree. But you could break it down to £36k per week and, in recent years, when you have had the likes of Bacuna, Vassell and Tomlin being paid you just wonder whether their salary would have been better spent on an Academy.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:56 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

It is I agree. But you could break it down to £36k per week and, in recent years, when you have had the likes of Bacuna, Vassell and Tomlin being paid you just wonder whether their salary would have been better spent on an Academy.

Touché! ;) :laughing6:

Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:40 pm

Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

Isnt the club making inroads to get cat 1 status with this new llanrumney development? But let's be honest how many cat 1 academies are there outside premier league? So most clubs vulnerable to poaching from scavengers of premier league

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:39 pm

I’m sure that Strve Bodley posted on twitter the worry of going to cat 1 status was that the clubs would alter the rules so as to be able to poach youngsters anyway

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:50 pm

fred keenor wrote:I’m sure that Strve Bodley posted on twitter the worry of going to cat 1 status was that the clubs would alter the rules so as to be able to poach youngsters anyway

The rules that make this possible was done underhand several years ago as part of premier league funding of efl... so can expect them to do something to bolster it if efl clubs start to get own cat 1 academies..... cant blame the kids or parents when big club comes knocking the incentives are enormous compared to what efl clubs can offer their youngsters..... but maybe football should protect efl clubs by having automatic sell on clause when kids are poached.. not this paltry £100k or whatever it is

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
fred keenor wrote:I’m sure that Strve Bodley posted on twitter the worry of going to cat 1 status was that the clubs would alter the rules so as to be able to poach youngsters anyway

The rules that make this possible was done underhand several years ago as part of premier league funding of efl... so can expect them to do something to bolster it if efl clubs start to get own cat 1 academies..... cant blame the kids or parents when big club comes knocking the incentives are enormous compared to what efl clubs can offer their youngsters..... but maybe football should protect efl clubs by having automatic sell on clause when kids are poached.. not this paltry £100k or whatever it is

The rule is obviously there to keep the top clubs at the top & there should be a clause to pay the original club a sensible top up amount if the youngster plays for the first team or is sold for stupid money.

The days of the big clubs being relegated are over, they are so well protected, we all remember both the manchester clubs being in the old div 1 at some stage and I'm sure there are a few others.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:57 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

The rule is obviously there to keep the top clubs at the top & there should be a clause to pay the original club a sensible top up amount if the youngster plays for the first team or is sold for stupid money.

The days of the big clubs being relegated are over, they are so well protected, we all remember both the manchester clubs being in the old div 1 at some stage and I'm sure there are a few others.

The bar for status 1 is very high regarding set up and education as been quoted as £3m+ minimum a year to run one... . Hot to blame the idiots at efl who negotiated the deal along with tv money efl was ripped off and negotiators were either to weak or stupid when doing deal .... premier league income is more than just sky money it runs into billions yet efl benefits sfa from it? less than £100m for 72+ clubs....looking at transfers there are several clubs stretching themselves to get into premier league and can see them joining clubs in ffp trouble if dont make it..

Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:02 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

Isnt the club making inroads to get cat 1 status with this new llanrumney development? But let's be honest how many cat 1 academies are there outside premier league? So most clubs vulnerable to poaching from scavengers of premier league

I agree; but my comment was in support of Paul Keevil's response to Paulh_85 where he points out that the insane money wasted on certain recent players woukd have paid for Cat.1 status several times over; and might have produced a player worth a lot more...

Was never going to happen selling on Tomlin, Bacuna, Murphy and others... ;)

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:42 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

I agree; but my comment was in support of Paul Keevil's response to Paulh_85 where he points out that the insane money wasted on certain recent players woukd have paid for Cat.1 status several times over; and might have produced a player worth a lot more...

Chris I
Quite agree about players that wasted potentially academy money .....but unfortunately club tried running academy previously and failed so tan basically disbanded it! But as I said how many cat 1 outside premier league? 3m+ is a lot money to plough into it with no garauntee of success ..... clubs will always lose the extreme talented kids and leave the colwill's of the world behind...... but the club as now made tracks to get it reinstated probably inline with clubs shift to home grown players.... what we ned now is a new owner with drive and ambition to take us forward now club as started to improve facilities and style play more in line with rest football.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

Chris I
Quite agree about players that wasted potentially academy money .....but unfortunately club tried running academy previously and failed so tan basically disbanded it! But as I said how many cat 1 outside premier league? 3m+ is a lot money to plough into it with no garauntee of success ..... clubs will always lose the extreme talented kids and leave the colwill's of the world behind...... but the club as now made tracks to get it reinstated probably inline with clubs shift to home grown players.... what we ned now is a new owner with drive and ambition to take us forward now club as started to improve facilities and style play more in line with rest football.

Agree, Allan. Thankfully, we have the change in style. We just need the new (credible) owner now and they are few and far between; although I note Sir Jim Ratcliffe is looking to buy a club in need of some urgent TLC... ;) :laughing6:

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

Chris I

Agree, Allan. Thankfully, we have the change in style. We just need the new (credible) owner now and they are few and far between; although I note Sir Jim Ratcliffe is looking to buy a club in need of some urgent TLC... ;) :laughing6:

They need more than TLC more like psychiatric help.. whilst we need someone with loads of dosh! :laughing6:
Ome observation from tonight was etete he looked fcked near end and wasn't on long.. :o

Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:57 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

Bacuna and Vassel were appaling signings. Who does Bacuna con a living from now? He was in panic mode everytime the ball went near him. League 2 or lower league 1 at best.

Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:11 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

Isnt the club making inroads to get cat 1 status with this new llanrumney development? But let's be honest how many cat 1 academies are there outside premier league? So most clubs vulnerable to poaching from scavengers of premier

league

Apparently there are 28 Category 1 Academy’s at present including 8 from outside Premier League including Derby,Reading,Birmingham,Middlesbrough and Notts Forest all of whom hadn’t been in the top League for many years. We have been promoted twice and surely should have spent some money on the Academy rather than waste it on journeymen!

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:28 am

£2m a year is only worth it if we got promoted to the PL again. Otherwise we would be compromising the quality of our first team squad budget wise when our youth system produces good players already, most of which make it make it with our first team.

Hopefully the fact there is now a proven pathway to the first team is a incentive for the best of the bunch to stick with us.