Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Steve Morison on Joel Bagan:

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:52 am

Steve Morison on Joel Bagan:

“He’s going to start Sunday.”

Updated:

Bagan set for Robins start?

Morison has hinted Joel Bagan is in line to start against Bristol City at the weekend after the injury sustained by by Jamilu Collins.

The Nigerian left-back was withdrawn after three minutes due to twisted knee. Callum O'Dowda was brought on and fulfilled his defensive brief well, even though the manager didn't want to play him at The Hawthorns.

"We're at the assessment stage but it doesn't look great at the minute," Morison said of Collins. "We'll have to wait and see, hope that it settles down. It's tough for him to take, he's the best left-back in the league."

"He had to," Morison said of the way O'Dowda stepped in. "We had a decision to make, do we put Oli Denham on, put Perry (Ng) to left-back, do we put Callum there? I wanted to rest him tonight, but he was fantastic. And now it's a great opportunity for Joel (Bagan)."

Morison confirmed Collins will be scanned in the next few days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Steve Morison on Joel Bagan:

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:50 am

Forever Blue wrote:Steve Morison on Joel Bagan:

Oh God the clean sheets were nice while they lasted :o

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:10 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Perhaps he'll start as a striker?

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:11 pm

BC-CB wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Perhaps he'll start as a striker?

Yes he's good up that end, especially when he cuts inside :thumbup:

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:13 pm

I think Bagan will be targetted, and I would have kept this under wraps, even though it was fairly obvious it might happen..... unless he's double bluffing?

Bagan went off the boil last year when he realised he had no competition. And once again if Jamilu is out long term, he has no real competition apart from O'Dowda who is far better playing on the right of midfield

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:20 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I think Bagan will be targetted, and I would have kept this under wraps, even though it was fairly obvious it might happen..... unless he's double bluffing?

Bagan went off the boil last year when he realised he had no competition. And once again if Jamilu is out long term, he has no real competition apart from O'Dowda who is far better playing on the right of midfield

Bluff sounds good. Keep O’DOWDA there I would.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:22 pm

I'd play o dowda further forward and drop philogene Sunday.

I like Bagan, yes he's not the best defensively but hopefully gets help down his side!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:38 pm

Bagan should be working in retail.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:44 pm

paulh_85 wrote:I'd play o dowda further forward and drop philogene Sunday.

I like Bagan, yes he's not the best defensively but hopefully gets help down his side!

I see your point but imo it’s needs must for Sunday. I wonder if Vontae can play on left.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:11 pm

Let’s support the boy is it? He’s starting, let’s get behind him.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:21 pm

OwainGlyndŵr123 wrote:Let’s support the boy is it? He’s starting, let’s get behind him.

Absolutely, the boy has promise and this season might be the year he finds his best form.

He does have competition as Ng, O'Dowda and Simpson can all also play there. Our squad means no one position is safe if they are not playing well enough.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:26 pm

Why not play Ng, Kipre and Simpson with O'Dowda and Romeo as wing backs. Drop Ralls as he does not suit our new style of playing.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:32 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I think Bagan will be targetted, and I would have kept this under wraps, even though it was fairly obvious it might happen..... unless he's double bluffing?

Bluff sounds good. Keep O’DOWDA there I would.

Yep like Nelson was starting last night, keep em guessing Morison ;)

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:40 pm

I think Simpson will play left back with Kipre back to partner Ng at centre back ( Bagan not consistent enough ).

Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:15 pm

Bagan set for Robins start?

Morison has hinted Joel Bagan is in line to start against Bristol City at the weekend after the injury sustained by by Jamilu Collins.

The Nigerian left-back was withdrawn after three minutes due to twisted knee. Callum O'Dowda was brought on and fulfilled his defensive brief well, even though the manager didn't want to play him at The Hawthorns.

"We're at the assessment stage but it doesn't look great at the minute," Morison said of Collins. "We'll have to wait and see, hope that it settles down. It's tough for him to take, he's the best left-back in the league."

"He had to," Morison said of the way O'Dowda stepped in. "We had a decision to make, do we put Oli Denham on, put Perry (Ng) to left-back, do we put Callum there? I wanted to rest him tonight, but he was fantastic. And now it's a great opportunity for Joel (Bagan)."

Morison confirmed Collins will be scanned in the next few days.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:08 pm

Bagan chipped in last season with a few goals we all know he was out of his depth sometimes but that was purely down to been a young kid but he gained experiance and when given a bit more freedom he bombed on down the wing and manged to stick it in the net.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:28 pm

I noticed vs WBA when the ball was played in behind O’Dowda, Philogene bust a gut to get back even passing him on the way to track the player that caught him napping. He didn’t do a bad job, but I think as an attacking full back, he really doesn’t seem interested in tracking back like philogene did

Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:32 pm

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -0-cardiff

It’s the very first highlight just to help explain my previous post. O’Dowda seems class going forward mind