Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" MY VIEW/OPINION TWO OWN GOALS HAND CARDIFF CITY "

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:43 pm

" MY VIEW/OPINION TWO OWN GOALS HAND CARDIFF CITY "

A HARD FOUGHT VICTORY.

NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL, BUT AT LAST 3PTS :ayatollah:

But we need now to strengthen by at least 3 new players including a striker.

Do we want to go to challenge for promotion? ? ?

No City player has now scored this season :shock: :shock:

Two own goals handed Bluebirds victory tonight against bottom club Blackburn

Cardiff City for me tonight struggled against bottom of the table Blackburn and for me thats a big worry.

CARDIFF CITY 2 BLACKBURN ROVERS 1 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Crowd 14,041
Away Support 220 fans approx

City Team Marshall, Peltier, Manga, Connolly, Morrison, John, Ralls, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, Pilkington

Subs: Moore, Ajayi, Huws, Harris, Noone, Zohore, Gounongbe

Cardiff City went in to this game after failing to score in their three previous games,they were tonight facing a team who were at rock bottom and had scored one goal, but had conceded seven so far.
So tonight was the chance for City to put everything right in front of the Cardiff City faithful.

City manager including Gunnarsson in his starting line up for the first time this season, but the big mystery is,where is Jazz Richards?

City ran out to what looked like a near deserted stadium :shock:

Pilkington played up front with Gunnarsson effectively a number 10.

In the 14th min Declan John did a brilliant run and did all the work and bang own goal by Duffy off his ankle, City 1-0 up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

A few minutes later another own goal by Duffy 2-0 City :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Then City had a chance of going 3 up but PIlkighron missed badly a one on one with Blackburn keeper.

City deservedly went in at half-time ahead by two clear goals :ayatollah:

Half-time CCFC 2 Blackburn 0 :ayatollah:

Blackburn came out better than City.

Kadeem Harris replaced Peltier in the 58th min and looked very lively :ayatollah:

74th min Pilkighton went off for Gounonge.

Connolly came close in 76th min

Then bang Blackburn score in the 77th min 2-1 :shock: (Danny Graham), Manga mistake.

Blackburn were now looking good.

Morrison header though in the 83rd min was tipped over bar.

88th min Immers off replaced by Huws.

95th min Duffy sent off for Blackburn.

FULL-TIME CARDIFF CITY 2 BLACKBURN 1

My man of the match Declan John :thumbright:

UP NEXT FULHAM AWAY THIS SATURDAY :thumbright: :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " MY VIEW/OPINION TWO OWN GOALS HAND CARDIFF CITY "

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Good to get our first three points obviously. But sounds like the performance was poor again. Probably a case of papering over the cracks tonight.

Hopefully we can improve on Saturday.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:47 pm

Annis, I didn't see the game as I'm away... I would have thought immers played up top with pilks? But it was Gunnarsson!? I find that strange. Immers is our best chance of scoring goals imo.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Good to get our first three points obviously. But sounds like the performance was poor again. Probably a case of papering over the cracks tonight.

Hopefully we can improve on Saturday.

A valuable 3pts Ned, but Fulham will test us on Saturday.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:50 pm

nubbsy wrote:Annis, I didn't see the game as I'm away... I would have thought immers played up top with pilks? But it was Gunnarsson!? I find that strange. Immers is our best chance of scoring goals imo.

Immers and Pilks upfront started with.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:51 pm

The fact we haven't scored for 3 games is a concern. A striker would help but no goals in three games suggests bigger problems either with the system or how we play it.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Empty stadium no different to last year, so no reason for us to get hung up on that. Rightly or wrongly, we won't start getting 20k+ crowds until we start challenging the top 2 again.

As far as performance, I was very happy. Pilkington missed two sitters, and for me we should've put four of our own in tonight on top of the two own goals. The goals will come though, I'm confident.

Bruno made a pigs ear of the goal we conceded, but our Captain was the main one at fault there - how the hell did that ball go past him? I'm not even sure he's worth £3m anymore, let alone £8m-£9m - he's been garbage since we got relegated, he really has.

It's coming together though, and the improvement on last season is there for all to see in my opinion. Can still see Slade's fingerprints over some of these players though, which will be Trollope's biggest challenge to fix.

Hard game on Saturday, so good to get a win on the board now.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Players need to be moved on - striker needed as Tan wants money in before PT can spend,

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:54 pm

My my appears worse than last season!

Can it get worse, where is the Club going?

What a sad sorry situation promotion my god lets be realistic.

Tan the man what a legacy will be left

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:55 pm

I thought we were at the blocks in first half. Piss
Poor in second we need to get players in now Blackburn are shit we just about put them to bed. God help us this season we need to sort it now before it's to late. Don't forget two own goals we can't score

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:58 pm

2blue2handle wrote:The fact we haven't scored for 3 games is a concern. A striker would help but no goals in three games suggests bigger problems either with the system or how we play it.

I agree Luke, we need more than just a new striker.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:01 pm

CITY'S formation tonight was 3-5-1-1

Marshall;
Manga, Morrison, Connelly;
Peltier, Gunnars, Dick, Ralls, John;
Immers;
Pilks.

Strange that Peltier played rwb but strangely got forward a bit, certainly more than Richards. The central midfield three were Gunnars and Ralls either side of Dick. Thankfully Trollope pushed Immers another 20 yards further forward into the hole behind Pilks.

Overall, a laboured performance, with City thankful for two own goals. By the time John got the ball there were generally two on him. He never had the ball in the second period and not until Harris came on in the 60th minute did we have an outlet on both sides. Immers was more at home in the same role he had last season whilst Pilks offered more than Gounongbe as a striker.

The crowd was 14,041 but most must have been watching on the TV's under the stands.

So still we haven't scored a goal ourselves. Your guess is as good as mine when we will.

StT.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:03 pm

I thought Gunnars was class tonight, worked hard and he was constantly shouting, I feel his influence when he hasn't got the ball is also key. Hope we keep him. Not the best performance but 3 points!

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:04 pm

KWest wrote:Empty stadium no different to last year, so no reason for us to get hung up on that. Rightly or wrongly, we won't start getting 20k+ crowds until we start challenging the top 2 again.

As far as performance, I was very happy. Pilkington missed two sitters, and for me we should've put four of our own in tonight on top of the two own goals. The goals will come though, I'm confident.

Bruno made a pigs ear of the goal we conceded, but our Captain was the main one at fault there - how the hell did that ball go past him? I'm not even sure he's worth £3m anymore, let alone £8m-£9m - he's been garbage since we got relegated, he really has.

It's coming together though, and the improvement on last season is there for all to see in my opinion. Can still see Slade's fingerprints over some of these players though, which will be Trollope's biggest challenge to fix.

Hard game on Saturday, so good to get a win on the board now.

Your right at moment crowd no different than last season, thanks to £49 season tickets :thumbright: :thumbright:

I believe we not only need a striker but a couple more players.

Blackburn are worse than awful and we still could not score ourselves.

For me Fulham will see if we are coming together :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:05 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Players need to be moved on - striker needed as Tan wants money in before PT can spend,

100% true Tony.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:10 pm

all too slow ,making a meal of over passing it in midfield lacking confidence to find that killer pass ,whits is finished as our creative playmaker ,I'm worried if we don't get any players with pace and creativity then it's going to be a season to write off

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:21 pm

I thought we bossed the game tonight until their goal, havent read all the comments but the few that i have sound like they were not even at the game?
Opinions formed on social media posts or friends say so.
Gunnar was quality tonight snd on another night pilkington eould've had atleast 2!!!
3 points, no city player scored but the city applied the pressure to force the 2 errors which resulted in goals. From where i was in thr canton it looked like manga got caught flatfooted, wrong side and outmuscled but i was at the other end without a clear view. We move on to fulham with 4 out of 9 points.
Alot on here said look at the 1st 5 games and guessed points on the board.
I said 7-8 and stand by it.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm

cityblue wrote:I thought we bossed the game tonight until their goal, havent read all the comments but the few that i have sound like they were not even at the game?
Opinions formed on social media posts or friends say so.
Gunnar was quality tonight snd on another night pilkington eould've had atleast 2!!!
3 points, no city player scored but the city applied the pressure to force the 2 errors which resulted in goals. From where i was in thr canton it looked like manga got caught flatfooted, wrong side and outmuscled but i was at the other end without a clear view. We move on to fulham with 4 out of 9 points.
Alot on here said look at the 1st 5 games and guessed points on the board.
I said 7-8 and stand by it.

Just a lot of people trying to be negative for the sake of it. Truth is, the only problem we genuinely have is lack of goal scorers, as with one or two I believe we would have rightfully won all three games so far.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:35 pm

well done - I did not have time to read through five pages hence needed a quick update earlier

look forward to updates and full report and league tables Saturday please Mr A :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Gunnarson was my man of the match tonight absolutely quality he was direct creative and he didn't stop running and tackling. And tonight also proved how dangerous our wing backs can be if they are direct. Once again a class showing from whitts. In my opinion gounognebe looked intelligent he held the ball up well and was trouble for defenders to mark. Atmosphere was great in the canton shame about the rest of the stadium. Also teach kadeem Harris how to defend and he will be class he was so direct with the ball.'duffy is a bluebird'

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:50 pm

CPbluebird02 wrote:Gunnarson was my man of the match tonight absolutely quality he was direct creative and he didn't stop running and tackling. And tonight also proved how dangerous our wing backs can be if they are direct. Once again a class showing from whitts. In my opinion gounognebe looked intelligent he held the ball up well and was trouble for defenders to mark. Atmosphere was great in the canton shame about the rest of the stadium. Also teach kadeem Harris how to defend and he will be class he was so direct with the ball.'duffy is a bluebird'

:lol: you must of been watching a different game to me

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:My my appears worse than last season!

Can it get worse, where is the Club going?

What a sad sorry situation promotion my god lets be realistic.

Tan the man what a legacy will be left

I feel we are a lot weaker than last season.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:09 pm

CRAZY by Duffy who got our goals. Madness by him tonight.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 pm

I thought we played some good stuff tonight, but as others have stated a bit laboured. Don't know what's happened to Rallos he was poor again tonight. Too slow to move the ball, and was sideways or backwards. Thought Morrison and Gunnarsson were excellent but at least we made the keeper work tonight, and Declan John was unlucky hiiting the post only for donkey Duffy to tuck it away very comfortably. Overall thought it was better tonight,but still room for improvement,but little shoots of improvement starting to rear their heads.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:28 pm

avondaleblue wrote:I thought we played some good stuff tonight, but as others have stated a bit laboured. Don't know what's happened to Rallos he was poor again tonight. Too slow to move the ball, and was sideways or backwards. Thought Morrison and Gunnarsson were excellent but at least we made the keeper work tonight, and Declan John was unlucky hiiting the post only for donkey Duffy to tuck it away very comfortably. Overall thought it was better tonight,but still room for improvement,but little shoots of improvement starting to rear their heads.
our midfield don't move the ball quick enough and are over passing it there's no playmaker whits has lost the ability to pick out a quick killer pass

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:59 pm

wez1927 wrote:
avondaleblue wrote:I thought we played some good stuff tonight, but as others have stated a bit laboured. Don't know what's happened to Rallos he was poor again tonight. Too slow to move the ball, and was sideways or backwards. Thought Morrison and Gunnarsson were excellent but at least we made the keeper work tonight, and Declan John was unlucky hiiting the post only for donkey Duffy to tuck it away very comfortably. Overall thought it was better tonight,but still room for improvement,but little shoots of improvement starting to rear their heads.
our midfield don't move the ball quick enough and are over passing it there's no playmaker whits has lost the ability to pick out a quick killer pass

What about the first goal ? Looked like Whitts picked out a killer pass from where I was standing.

Thought we looked decent tonight, much improved from Sundays showing. Pilkington looked after the ball well up top and Immers worked his nuts off just behind. I thought Gunnars improved our balance in midfield, his energy and tenacity complimented Whitts' usual composed performance. Also thought the back five looked solid.

We still need to strengthen theres no doubt about that, we got into some good positions infront of goal but wasted our chances so a goalscorer is definitely needed. Also a driving attacking midfielder should be on the top of the list, I recently heard that the City and Palace have been in touch with each other about Jordon Mutch, not sure how true it is but the person I heard it off doesnt have any reason to lie. I think he'd be perfect to drive us forward from midfield.

Onwards and upwards ! :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:06 pm

I thought we started great are we were pretty much dominating the game like a top team does vs a league 2, 15 mins it was one way to Cardiff.

John grew as the game went on, getting cheers and claps early on and got a cheer when he started to make his run, i think the crowd played a big part in the run where he hit the post and we went 1-0 to the OG

But then the defence gets deeper, the forwards go forward and yet again no one wants to carry the ball. Cardiff dont pass and move, they stand and pass sideways and we just end up going no where.

When Blackburn did have a chance, it was just simple 1-2's but fortunatley there were offside a few times.

First half Cardiff looked very solid at the back and Gunners was looking like a leader, i said in anothe thread we could do without him but after tonight, we need him here!

Another thing, why do Ralls and Whits look at there f*cking feet when moving around? Gunners gets the ball and looks up, yea one or two passes were crap but he did alot more going forward then our suposed playermakers.

In 2 home games, i have hardly seen someone pass to a team mate, run on and get a through pass to run on to. John had it twice tonight, Kadim had to do it himself. That had my laughing he made one good run, fired off a shot which looked like it was curling in then a near 2 footed lunge to get himself booked :ayatollah:

There goal was a joke, shit defending from Manga and Marshall had the reactions of a goat as the ball dribbled in...... A good few times Manga sliced attempted passes from a lose ball, but most of the time he won his headers and did ok.

Whits has to be dropped, Ralls and Whits are similar in there sideways passing but Whits passed it out of touched a few times from a couple yards outs and blasted the ball at Immers and others. Its too negative having both in, Ralls can sit back, Gunners box to box and maybe Huws is the answer to take the ball foward?

But first 15/20 mins we did look great. Pilks unlucky he needs a goal, Fred should of done better later on but again, needs a goal to calm the nerves and get some confidence.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:09 pm

We had a bit of luck with the goals, but should have been 4-0 up at one point. Can't fault his effort, but Pilkington missed two sitters. Made hard work of it after that. In other words, a typical Cardiff City home 2-1 win! Much better than Sunday, though.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:24 pm

Performance tonight was poor same as Sunday we just lucky Blackburn were crap and help us with 2 goals we missing pace in the side need change formation and get Harris in the side he got loads pace to trouble defence.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:34 pm

Watching the game tonight, I was mindful of trying to gauge where we are in terms of progress from last season at this early stage. I was at Brum, where we were the better side in the first half and where a conversion of one of our four nailed-on goal creations would have sealed the game. We didn't and Brum closed is down and it was a 0-0 away point which for me should have been 3.

I'm not going to include the gas game as my Spidey senses say we didn't want a cup run for whatever reason.

Next up was QPR last Sunday and for brevity, I thought similar to Brum we were superior in the first half to the point you felt a goal or even two was inevitable against a very average side. We went on to lose 2-0 with the players body language negative after conceding the first after two odd substitutions. Again, a game that we could have killed off in our strong first half and scored.

So tonight, I thought that we would react and actually went for 3-0 against a poor Blackburn side that even their own fans don't like and put them to the sword. A win is a win etc but I haven't seen anything yet that suggests that we will improve on last season's finishing position. It's clear that we are confident on the ball bit then you'd expect that. I think we maybe near to good things but I'd like to see ruthless finishing and we all know that this type of striker is absent in our current set up.

Regarding our general level at this point with limited game time, you can only say what you see. I noted that Barnsley at home beat QPR 3-2 at Oakwell and it was the home sides goal count against an average but fancied side that stood out.

Before the Brum game, as is usual, I had a look at their stats and forums as you often get a clue with logic combined with sentiment & especially the latter. The conclusion was that City are a solid side who create chances but are not converting these into goals. And I'd say that is precisely where we are at the moment.

I actually don't think we are that far away from having an efficient play-off challenging side but it is evident that we are doing most of the right things apart from the most important, which is converting the chances that we are creating. The more we dont convert these chances, the more frustration sets in and the sloped- shoulders appear from another fruitless effort and that is a slippery slope.

It's early doors but if we can address this goal drought quickly as an outlet for what we can create, we could predominantly be goals up in the first half. We then have to address this issue of teams then seemingly pressing us better in the second half and nicking it or earning a draw. A striker is top of the shopping list and arguably strengthening 2 other positions in this set up. Then it's golden.