Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CCFC Pretty embarrassing if true '

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:14 am

Family of Emiliano Sala launch stinging attack on Cardiff City after revealing trust fund has still not been launched.

Exclusive:

The family also claimed Cardiff had withdrawn 'with no clear explanation' an earlier donation offer to the family last November

Cardiff City are still yet to also pay anything of the £15mill to Nantes for Emiliano Sala despite being ordered to.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... revealing/ :cry:

Family of Emiliano Sala launch stinging attack on Cardiff City after revealing trust fund has still not been launched

Exclusive: The family also claimed Cardiff had withdrawn 'with no clear explanation' an earlier donation offer to the family last November

By Ben Rumsby

20 August 2020

The family of Emiliano Sala launched a stinging attack on Cardiff City on Thursday night after revealing a £2 million trust fund the club launched in his memory had not been set up almost seven months on. :cry: :cry:

Sala’s mother, brother and sister accused the Championship side of trying to impose “leonine clauses” on the ‘Emiliano Sala Memorial Trust’ it was announced in January had been jointly created by both parties.

They also claimed Cardiff had withdrawn “with no clear explanation” an earlier offer of a “donation” to the family while they were in the UK in November.

City chairman Mehmet Dalman responded on Thursday night by saying he shared the family’s frustrations, blaming disagreements with their Argentinian lawyers for the impasse over the trust and announcing the club had decided to finish creating it independently of them.

Dalman had announced the long-awaited launch of a trust ahead of Cardiff’s Championship game against Reading, in which they also paid tribute to the £15 million striker, a year on from his tragic death in a plane crash.

In a statement released to Telegraph Sport, Sala’s mother Mercedes Taffarel, and his brother Dario and sister Romina said: “In 2019, Cardiff offered to make a donation to our family, which was very welcome by us as we are in a very difficult economic situation and Emiliano was the main supporter of our family.

“With a great personal effort, in November 2019 we travelled to the UK in order to close the deal with Cardiff to receive the funds as soon as possible. At the time, we had the meeting with the representative of the club, we found that, surprisingly, the offer had been withdrawn with no clear explanation and we would not receive the donation Cardiff had promised.

“This was completely shocking for us as we did not understand why the club was acting in that way with us. We never received an explanation on the reasons why they decided to take the offer back and not fulfil their commitment to us.

“We came back to our country and, in January 2020 we received an offer from Cardiff to set up the trust for the benefit of the family and contribute a certain amount of money.

“It has been almost six months since those initial discussions and, to date, we have not been able to reach an agreement with Cardiff’s representatives to set up the trust. It is extremely difficult to move forward as the club tries to impose leonine clauses and conditions on such donation.”

The family’s Argentinian lawyer, Javier Canosa, told Telegraph Sport that Cardiff were insisting upon controlling the trust, saying: “They have us by the b----.”

He also said the family could no longer afford to pay the UK lawyers representing them at Sala’s inquest, the start of which has been delayed until March.

Dalman said: “We have been working extremely hard for many months to create a trust to support Emiliano’s family and his legacy. We share their frustrations.

“Unfortunately, we’ve been unable to do this jointly with the family’s lawyers due to a number of disagreements, particularly around control of the trust and the extent of the advice required.

“We have therefore decided to finish creating the trust without them, most of the work having already been done. The trust will be confirmed shortly and in addition to our investment, we will invite donations from across the footballing world. The family will then have the resources they need for the inquest.

“The family has too often been forgotten through this tragedy, and too many personal interests have got in the way of providing them the support they deserve.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' CCFC Pretty embarrassing if true '

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:45 am

EMILIANO SALA

Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:53 am

sort it out ccfc

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:54 am

Ben Rumsby
telegraph.co.uk — The family of Emiliano Sala launched a stinging attack on Cardiff City on Thursday night after revealing a £2 million trust fund the club launched in his memory had not been set up almost seven months on. Sala’s mother, brother and sister accused the Championship side of trying to impose “leonine clauses” on the ‘Emiliano Sala Memorial Trust’ it was announced in January had been jointly created by both parties
Not being an expert on contractual matters can anyone explain in layman terms in what context this means " Provision in an agreement under which a party is excused from sharing in the liabilities arising out of the agreement" as Salas family seem to be the ones unhappy then I'm guessing it must be Cardiff who are insisting the clause is included

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:54 am

The family's position on this doesn't make a lot of sense to me and some of their motives have seemed a bit dodgy to me since the start, ie all about money.

Surely they inherited all of Emilianos assets after his death.

As a professional footballer who played at the top level I would have thought he would have had a nice bit of money in the bank and assets that would more than looked after his family, the amounts most of us could only dream of.

And you can't blame Cardiff for having reservations on a trust fund if they are concerned about where any future funds might end up

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:00 am

RV Casual wrote:The family's position on this doesn't make a lot of sense to me and some of their motives have seemed a bit dodgy to me since the start, ie all about money.

As a professional footballer who played at the top level I would have thought he would have had a nice bit of money in the bank and assets that would more than looked after his family, the amounts most of us could only dream of.

And you can't blame Cardiff for having reservations on a trust fund if they are concerned about where any future funds might end up

Got agree with you on this it has to be set up correctly, Argentine lawyers add some unacceptable terms, City are now setting it up themselves without any spurious terms!

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:11 am

RV Casual wrote:The family's position on this doesn't make a lot of sense to me and some of their motives have seemed a bit dodgy to me since the start, ie all about money.

i agree with your points. but the club are not looking good over this.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:16 am

Igovernor wrote:

Got agree with you on this it has to be set up correctly, Argentine lawyers add some unacceptable terms, City are now setting it up themselves without any spurious terms!

Also got to be careful regarding liability if it is set up wrong could nante construe it means he was a city player before CAS make a decision... everything is simple from outside and just wonder if people have an agenda against city as every so often something detrimental to club is released in press regarding ameliano?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 am

Let's face it we are in a global pandemic, everything shut down for months ,court case has been put back again , unprecedented times

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 am

pembroke allan wrote:Also got to be careful regarding liability if it is set up wrong could nante construe it means he was a city player before CAS make a decision... everything is simple from outside and just wonder if people have an agenda against city as every so often something detrimental to club is released in press regarding ameliano?

The above is a good point.

Also my memory is a bit dodgy but I thought the idea of a trust fund was a possible compromise. City would pay Nantes £7.5m instead of £15m and each club would donate £2m to the ES family trust fund. Therefore wouldn't it require Nantes to accept the compromise before any payments were made?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:51 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Also got to be careful regarding liability if it is set up wrong could nante construe it means he was a city player before CAS make a decision... everything is simple from outside and just wonder if people have an agenda against city as every so often something detrimental to club is released in press regarding ameliano?

Also my memory is a bit dodgy but I thought the idea of a trust fund was a possible compromise. City would pay Nantes £7.5m instead of £15m and each club would donate £2m to the ES family trust fund. Therefore wouldn't it require Nantes to accept the compromise before any payments were made?

Yes my thoughts too.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:55 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Yes my thoughts too.

Like said simple from outside and going on behaviour of nantes owner previously i wouldn't trust nante one bit regarding this topic ..

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:14 am

Reply fb:

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:20 am

yes and no...yes at one point Dalman suggested a compromise , but i think it was wishful thinking.. the fund being mentioned was independent of any agreement with Nantes regarding transfer fees...
not sure why this family trust fund was brought up to start with tbh... as RV says professional footballer playing at a good level for years , id also imagine they have inherited a tidy sum. and possibly a life insurance payout.. also its not like he had a wife and kids.. and if he had ...the family { mother, brothers and sisters } would possibly not even come into the picture...?

its bad press again though.. and was Dalman that made lots of noise about trust funds last year..so brought on by our selves..

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 am

Probably on legal advice I would guess.

If the club pay anything official to the players estate / family - that will be seen in a court of law as an acceptance of guilt and would harm their case. Any legal team would advise their client the same I think.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:47 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Probably on legal advice I would guess.

If the club pay anything official to the players estate / family - that will be seen in a court of law as an acceptance of guilt and would harm their case. Any legal team would advise their client the same I think.

i would imagine Dalman going on about the family and trust funds { and he has, a lot , and still is } could also be seen as an acceptance of liability... ?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:12 am

I hope the club respond to this story and answer those claims in full - they should do ASAP.

That would help put the record straight, but there always seems something not right with the way we do things.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:24 am

Forever Blue wrote:I hope the club respond to this story and answer those claims in full - they should do ASAP.

That would help put the record straight, but there always seems something not right with the way we do things.

be glad when all the wrangling around this is in the past... it ceased being about the tragic death of 2 men very quickly...

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:26 am

From what I understand is that the club have decided to take this on due to the problems they were facing with the Argentine solicitor. Solicitors can be a pain in the arse even on the slightest of things so I can well understand this is the situation.

I wonder if the club have had direct contact with the Sala family?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:13 pm

As someone has said Salas family will have inherited a considerable sum of money from his estate. We are neither leagally or morally responsible for giving them a few million quid on top of that. The accident is no really Cardiffs fault difficult to say whose fault it is. This smell of greed on the part of his family.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I hope the club respond to this story and answer those claims in full - they should do ASAP.

But if it’s b<^^<¥ks why would the club dignify this with a response.

That’s two tenuous stories undermining the club board in the last couple of days follow the post that incorrectly insinuated that Tan was taking money out of the club.

Some people hate it when the club appears to be going about it’s business very smoothly.

Just be grateful we have owners that give us stability that at least half of the Championship would die for in current circumstances.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... revealing/

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:32 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

That’s two tenuous stories undermining the club board in the last couple of days follow the post that incorrectly insinuated that Tan was taking money out of the club.

Some people hate it when the club appears to be going about it’s business very smoothly.

Just be grateful we have owners that give us stability that at least half of the Championship would die for in current circumstances.

That's what I've said every so often stories come out to undermine club... that generally club cannot respond to due to the nature of things .... coincidence maybe?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

the thread was started by a poster that is a Swansea fan who has copied an article in the Telegraph..

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:03 pm

skidemin wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

the thread was started by a poster that is a Swansea fan who has copied an article in the Telegraph..

Why is it not news elsewhere Havent seen it elsewhere ?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:15 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Probably on legal advice I would guess.

THIS.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:23 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

i do not see your point Allan..the fact its not front page on every news paper doesnt make it untrue ? and certainly not made up by someone on the board to dig the club... its hardly Watergate is it ... although if it was Watergate youd ask the same, why is it only in the Washington post and not all the papers...

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:46 pm

What have Nantes done for the players family? He cost them 1m and played for them for several years! Our club’s argument is that he was still their player so perhaps this could be the problem?

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:03 pm

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

i do not see your point Allan..the fact its not front page on every news paper doesnt make it untrue ? and certainly not made up by someone on the board to dig the club... its hardly Watergate is it ... although if it was Watergate youd ask the same, why is it only in the Washington post and not all the papers...

It's TRUE in respect that it is in that paper but considering the interest shown worldwide why isn't it on BBC website or radio Wales even ect always on multiple
news sites previous stories on him that was my point :thumbup:
Last edited by pembroke allan on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:03 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:What have Nantes done for the players family? He cost them 1m and played for them for several years! Our club’s argument is that he was still their player so perhaps this could be the problem?

well they should say that then...

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Well done the club for not giving out snippets of info so some can twist it then declare ' they're ITK "

Leave it to the lawyers as is the proper way of doing business professionally.

PS. Never trust an Argie and if that's now classed as racist...... TFL.