Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sol Bamba ,Joe Bennett, Jonny Williams all gone

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:55 pm

SOL BAMBA / JOE BENNETT / JONNY WILLIAMS ALL RELEASED

2020/21 Retained List

Tuesday 1st June 2021

Cardiff City Football Club can confirm that our 2020/21 retained list has been submitted.

We would like to place on record our sincerest thanks and best wishes to Sol Bamba, Joe Bennett and Junior Hoilett who will be moving on this summer upon the expiration of their current deals.

The three players joined us in 2016 and would go on to become key figures in our 2017/18 promotion squad. Between them they made a total of 478 appearances across a five-year period, representing a significant contribution to the Club’s recent progress and history.

Joe Day and Jonny Williams will also leave the Club with our best wishes at the end of June.

Our departing Bluebirds will always be welcome here at Cardiff City Stadium and we wish them all the very best for the future.

2020/21 Retained List :bluebird:

First team

Leandro Bacuna

Joel Bagan

Ciaron Brown

Rubin Colwill

Aden Flint

Robert Glatzel

Mark Harris

Kieffer Moore

Sean Morrison

Josh Murphy

Curtis Nelson

Perry Ng

Marlon Pack

Dillon Phillips

Joe Ralls

Tom Sang

Alex Smithies

Lee Tomlin

Isaac Vassell

Will Vaulks

Max Watters

Gavin Whyte

Retained Under 23s

Ibrahim Bakare

Sam Bowen (contract offered)

Isaak Davies

Oliver Denham

Kieron Evans

Caleb Hughes

Tavio D'Almeida

Ntazana Mayembe

Keenan Patten

George Ratcliffe

Chanka Zimba

Departing U23s: Jack Bodenham, Aaron Bolger, Daniel Griffiths, Roland Idowu, Daniel Martin, Camron McWilliams, Ryan Reynolds, James Waite, Jack Williams, Ben Margetson.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sol Bamba ,Joe Bennett, Jonny Williams all gone

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:04 pm

Fair shout on them all

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:07 pm

MM indicated that the ready made replacement for Harry Wilson was Williams.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:08 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:MM indicated that the ready made replacement for Harry Wilson was Williams.

Probably got someone else coming in now

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm

Sol must want another playing otherwise surely would have had some sort of coaching role.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm

wez1927 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:MM indicated that the ready made replacement for Harry Wilson was Williams.

Probably got someone else coming in now

Good. JW as a replacement was a hefty NO from me.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:14 pm

Sol wants to play another year he’s not going to get that here wouldn’t be surprised to see him back in a year as coach

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:14 pm

Can't argue with it really. No place for sentiment. Only one I'd have kept is Sol and as a coach, he'd be nowhere near playing these days.

Jonny Williams was gash in his 'cameos'.

Bennett wants too much wage. Can't blame him either not wanting a drop.

Good luck to them. They all obvs want a game. I think only Bennett would've got it with us.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:16 pm

Lots to happen before end of transfer window?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:21 pm

No arguments really.

Would have been a nice gesture to keep Sol Bamba on for another year. But, as said above, no room for sentiment. He would be highly unlikely to play many games so it would be a waste of money.

Bennett's wages are too high, particularly with his injury.

Right to let all the others go as well.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:26 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:No arguments really.

Would have been a nice gesture to keep Sol Bamba on for another year. But, as said above, no room for sentiment. He would be highly unlikely to play many games so it would be a waste of money.

Bennett's wages are too high, particularly with his injury.

Right to let all the others go as well.

Jonny Williams, injury prone, throwing money in the air, had to go.

Plus two very high earners of wage bill as well.

Totally with you Ned on both the others :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:33 pm

Joe Bennett had been holding contract talks with club bosses for several months before serious injury struck.

No deal has been reached, and the man described by chairman Mehmet Dalman as "the best left back in the league" leaves for nothing at the end of his current contract.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:47 pm

Can't fathom why Johnny was even brought here...

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:48 pm

From a playing point of view the only player i would have kept was Bennett . Bamber and Hoilett will always get a warm
welcome from the fans i am sure about that but their playing careers are reaching and end. City i feel are very much in a transition period with regards to the squad and as it stands i can’t see it being strong enough The transfer window will be vital to add quality either by loaning or purchasing

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:08 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Can't fathom why Johnny was even brought here...

Nor me.

£50,000 wasted

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Nor me.

£50,000 wasted

There will be more movement on that retained list before we kick a ball. That’s for sure.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:14 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Nor me.

£50,000 wasted

There will be more movement on that retained list before we kick a ball. That’s for sure.

100% Karl and there needs to be :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:21 pm

Out of curiosity, roughly how much a week does releasing Hoilett, Bamba, Bennett and Williams free up. Any ideas?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:22 pm

Maybe if he could stay fit, but we don't want a player who will only give you 10 to 15 games a season. We've had too many crocks and still have two on the books. Surprised he's keeping Murphy as he's not showing consistency, Whyte and Glatzel a surprise too.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:23 pm

Bennett will have no trouble getting a contract at a top Champ club. Wanted longer than the one year offered. It’s a brutal game.
Also noteworthy Jonny Williams has left. McCarthy called him the ‘perfect’ replacement for Harry Wilson. Just didn’t do enough with his opportunities.
Williams for me not even worth the £50,000 we wasted on him.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:31 pm

In order...

Very sad (Sol)
Expected and wish him the very best (Bennett)
A make-weight to cover positions in the squad (Williams)

Wish them all the best going forward and hope (but I no longer expect) Sol comes back in some capacity, as I think we'll be missing a trick... :clap:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Nor me.

£50,000 wasted

100% Karl and there needs to be :thumbright: :thumbright:

Annis, could be at least 7 of those on that list some sold others on loan. Last I heard 3 incoming very soon as one would say the plates are spinning and it’s if we can keep them spinning!

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:34 pm

Don Keydick wrote:

Maybe if he could stay fit, but we don't want a player who will only give you 10 to 15 games a season. We've had too many crocks and still have two on the books. Surprised he's keeping Murphy as he's not showing consistency, Whyte and Glatzel a surprise too.

This is just a retained list all under contract. If MM wants to get money for them he has to retain them. With murphy and glatzel if he realeased them we would not get a penny. Just because any player is on the retained list does not mean that MM wants to keep them.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:35 pm

Sven wrote:In order...

Very sad (Sol)
Expected and wish him the very best (Bennett)
A make-weight to cover positions in the squad (Williams)

Wish them all the best going forward and hope (but I no longer expect) Sol comes back in some capacity, as I think we'll be missing a trick... :clap:

Chris, he wanted to much and to keep playing. Never going to happen with a new centre back coming in. Money, age and injuries are going to rule clubs from now on.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:35 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Nor me.

£50,000 wasted

Absolute waste of money. MM sanctioned?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Don Keydick wrote:

All 3 are under contract so wouldn't be on the released list but all are no doubt available along with others such as Vassell, Pack, Tomlin etc who we are unlikley to be able to move on due to their wages/injury records.
Last edited by bluelover on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:36 pm

bluebirdoct1962 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:07 pm

MM indicated that the ready made replacement for Harry Wilson was Williams.

Yes, but he must have had a few to drink before saying it. :laughing6:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

This is just a retained list all under contract. If MM wants to get money for them he has to retain them. With murphy and glatzel if he realeased them we would not get a penny. Just because any player is on the retained list does not mean that MM wants to keep them.

Spot on Roger, I’m excited about what’s developing.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:38 pm

We need Vassell gone ASAP too , tricky mind another shot bit of business by the club.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:54 pm

Don Keydick wrote:

they are under contract so have to be retained...