Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Where have they gone?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:46 pm

I noticed the corporate boxes were deserted also.....
My company have had a box for the last 4 seasons but were quoted £28, 000 for this season for 13 seats and somewhere warm to sit at half time......all food and drink you have to pay for and you have to fetch it yourself from the bar!!
They decided not to renew.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:47 pm

I noticed the corporate boxes were deserted also.....
My company have had a box for the last 4 seasons but were quoted £28, 000 for this season for 13 seats and somewhere warm to sit at half time......all food and drink you have to pay for and you have to fetch it yourself from the bar!!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Tan has destroyed it for me. I will be back as ccfc us a drug and I need my fix but for the moment I'm staying away from ccs.

It could be asked if we got 20000 today why didn't we get crowds like that at ninian where there was a good atmosphere. I'm proud to have been part of the club when we had a hardcore of 2-3000.

We didn't get crowds like that at Ninian Park, because we weren't consistently competitive, at a high enough level, at least not since the sixties and early seventies, when we used to get far bigger crowds than we've had over the last few years at Ninian Park and at the new stadium!

We've been spoilt in terms of quality on the pitch over the last few years, had several Wembley appearances and a season in the Premier League, which has increased our match day support, but nothing like the level of the sixties and early seventies!

I see where you are coming from but disagree! To me you support your team regardless of the division they are in. I have followed ccfc for 34 years and been an exile since 1989. I have seen us play over 130 different teams and visited over 40 grounds in the process. The reason I'm avoiding home games this season is that the last 2 years have been awful. Seeing us at home in red against famous clubs such as forest, Liverpool and man utd is totally wrong for me. Our club is lucky to have 20000 home fans at the moment. Tan deserves a fan base of 50-60 fans.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm

sgd666 wrote:I noticed the corporate boxes were deserted also.....

A very interesting, & probably obvious point. If the corporate side of the business feels its to expensive, what chance for the average working person? Prices were set with the expectation of another season in the Premier league right?

There was never a plan B price structure, just in case of Championship football???

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:38 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:If you compare today's attendance of 20749, against our first home game two seasons ago (Aug 17, 2012), the first season of our re brand, & ironically v Huddersfield Town which was 21127, we see a slight decrease of 378 fans (-1.8%), bearing in mind that that game was a Friday night fixture too. Very similar stats in my opinion.

2012 was a Friday night 19.45 kick off so I don't think you can compare.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Just left the Stadium I cannot believe how empty the Grandstand and Premier seats were today in fact the Premier seats were virtually deserted and the the corners of the Canton Stand were empty and for the first time since the stadium opened, there were empty seats all over the place in the Ninian Stand near me?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145831 :ole:

As long as those who were there enjoyed it then who gives a toss about missing fans? We are no different to any other club in that success will attract glory fans. I have to say I enjoyed today more than most games in the last 6 months....almost like the pressure is off us and we can get back to normal again.
Ive moved from the borefest of the Ninian to the Canton, you can get a drink, food and a pee in record time and you can actually get out in seconds....and the new stand is amazing. All we need now is a return to blue and I could be the happiest since 92/93. :lol:

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 pm

Hoochie Coochie Blues wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:If you compare today's attendance of 20749, against our first home game two seasons ago (Aug 17, 2012), the first season of our re brand, & ironically v Huddersfield Town which was 21127, we see a slight decrease of 378 fans (-1.8%), bearing in mind that that game was a Friday night fixture too. Very similar stats in my opinion.

I know, that was the relevant point I was making. Almost like off like figures,,,both first home games of the season, both against the same team, in the Championship, played one day apart, all be it on different days. What would you compare today's attendance with?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:33 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
Hoochie Coochie Blues wrote:

I know, that was the relevant point I was making. Almost like off like figures,,,both first home games of the season, both against the same team, in the Championship, played one day apart, all be it on different days. What would you compare today's attendance with?

Second thoughts I think your right Rick. :thumbup:

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:59 am

I've tried, but I just don't enjoy it any more. So I don't go. Or even watch on TV.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Tan has destroyed it for me. I will be back as ccfc us a drug and I need my fix but for the moment I'm staying away from ccs.

It could be asked if we got 20000 today why didn't we get crowds like that at ninian where there was a good atmosphere. I'm proud to have been part of the club when we had a hardcore of 2-3000.

Me too....priceless experiences :bluescarf:

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Its no longer possible to buy upper tier tickets for the grandstand on the eticketing webiste.....that MAY be a factor there.....

Also, as for empty corners, nothing new....i sit at the front of the ninian and can always migrate to a corner to keep dry when needed - last year aside!

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:09 pm

Hoochie Coochie Blues wrote:Let's be honest here.....with all the rebrand stuff going on it wasn't pleasant last season.

Anti tan songs pro Malky songs.....nothing too do with what was going on on the pitch.

People want to enjoy they're football days......don't blame em if I'm honest and it's to expensive.

agree with you......ok it was quiet yesterday but tbh id prefer quiet to all that sour negative crap last year..you know the stuff that doesnt effect the team...like any player or manager would ever get away with saying it does effect them

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 am

I think a lot of fans have become disenchanted by the obsession with blue shirts and the anti-Tan rhetoric> As a result there has been less support for the club and the team resulting in a poorer experience attending matches.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:24 am

There's an eldery gent sitting next to me this season who moved over from the Premier seating to the new stand for this season, he was telling me the price was put up £400 for his seat hence he is no longer over there, price went from £800 to £1200 (consension) according to him!

Perhaps that's something to do with it.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:33 am

Level 4 (previously Premier Club) and Level 3 Premier Club (formerly Diamond Seats) have had a big increase in seating pricing and a membership fee for Level 3 of £1250 - the extra premium just isn't worth it for what you get. Ok you get a padded seat and a programme and perhaps a team sheet if you get to the ground early enough. Not to mention factoring in an increase for Championship football. Those seats are going to be empty for a while or at least until we go back up to premiership.

I have moved elsewhere in the ground and its almost the same view but have saved a bundle this year. The end of the price freeze for next season will also reduce the numbers again next year in my view anyway, regardless if we go up / stay in the championship or even get relegated.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:Just left the Stadium I cannot believe how empty the Grandstand and Premier seats were today in fact the Premier seats were virtually deserted and the the corners of the Canton Stand were empty and for the first time since the stadium opened, there were empty seats all over the place in the Ninian Stand near me?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145831 :ole:

Dunno where they all were but the traffic was much quieter so the bus got to the ground with ease, there were no queues at the bar 20 mins before kick off, no queues for the toilet before kick off, got out of the ground and straight on a bus, back in town by 5:30! Oh and people didn't seem to want to take pics of every Huddersfield player that came near them, unlike last season! What a difference the championship makes!

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:24 am

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:Annis,
They are the 7,000 plastics and they'll be back in April if we are in the top two.
StT.

I aint a plastic had a season ticket for 13 years, but this year i cant have one as i cant afford it and i work most Saturdays.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:32 am

My wife and I spent 5 years in the Premier Lounge and now we are in the new stand.
Half the price and a far better view.
The Premier Lounge is now full of the old and infirm who need to be looked after :) The prawn sandwich brigade will return next year when we are promoted.
We have 8 free tickets for the Premier Lounge as part of our compensation package for paying a grand each joining fee but I think we will watch all matches from the Ninian Stand as we can shout in there without being given strange looks!
PS We are not part of the prawn sandwich brigade having supported City since 1966 and over time been in all of the stands at Ninian. I even attended all of Citys matches home and away one year in the 80s

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:58 am

Sometimes you have to accept that people have other views that differ from your own. I just don't see supporting Cardiff as a trend, to be discarded if Steven Gerrard is not visiting this season.

Some people like football only a little bit. Whereas most of us on this forum love it! :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:34 pm

every club has some fans that are there just to watch premier league football, and they've just decided that £600 odd is poor value for championship football.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:12 pm

look on the bright side.........never had to que up once for a pint in the borough before the game.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

We didn't get crowds like that at Ninian Park, because we weren't consistently competitive, at a high enough level, at least not since the sixties and early seventies, when we used to get far bigger crowds than we've had over the last few years at Ninian Park and at the new stadium!

We've been spoilt in terms of quality on the pitch over the last few years, had several Wembley appearances and a season in the Premier League, which has increased our match day support, but nothing like the level of the sixties and early seventies!

I see where you are coming from but disagree! To me you support your team regardless of the division they are in. I have followed ccfc for 34 years and been an exile since 1989. I have seen us play over 130 different teams and visited over 40 grounds in the process. The reason I'm avoiding home games this season is that the last 2 years have been awful. Seeing us at home in red against famous clubs such as forest, Liverpool and man utd is totally wrong for me. Our club is lucky to have 20000 home fans at the moment. Tan deserves a fan base of 50-60 fans.

Meant to reply earlier to your response, but have been busy over the last few days, however:-

I can also see where you're coming from and I've been following Cardiff a fair bit longer than you! :old:

To say that you support your team regardless of the division they are in is very admirable, but as we've seen from our dark days in League 2, or the old Division 4, where we were lucky to get a couple of thousand supporters through the turnstiles, the remainder of our support don't agree with your philosophy!

Your decision not to attend games due to the re-brand is a separate issue, as it's all about choice IMO and people can choose where to spend their money and what level of football is a deal breaker for them, much the same as when people decide which type of book to read, or which film they choose to see in the cinema!

I know a fair few of our fans travel further than myself, but personally I travel a near round 200 miles to get to our home games, where I've only missed one home game in 6 seasons. I've been travelling to away games for a few years and whilst I can't remember exactly how many I've been to in previous seasons, I've done 15 away games last season and the same the previous season!

Whilst I'm more than happy to travel back and fore for Championship level football and would still do it for League One level football, I played a decent level of football myself and there's no way I'd travel back and fore Cardiff to watch us in League 2, although I respect those who would, or did back in the day!