Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' SHOCKING TO THINK WE BELIEVED '

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:00 pm

On the supporters' club coach, heading home. Very disappointing tonight. Hope the season does not just peter out.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:01 pm

Will be listening to see if you sing the Slade song on Saturday Carl :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:28 pm

We have been lucky to get the points we have no way near good enough and with the summer departures it will only get worse can see many not renewing STs next season it's not really worth it with the shite we play and the club having to give away the tickets anyway.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Well, that is the danger of playing sides with nothing to play for. They can already be on holiday in their heads, but more often than not, they play with freedom and end up getting positive results.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:55 pm

I don't think it was shocking we believed it, it was well within our grasp, and the way we had played at the time backed it up, but the last 2 or 3 games, when we needed it to carry on, backfired :(

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:08 pm

What a lot of dogs poo, Slade's a bigger dummy than me!

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:44 am

club is run by baboons !!!!!!!!! :sladeout: :lol: :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:30 am

We were never going to get promoted under Slade this season, or any season for that matter. You cant carry a tactically naiive manager. The only people I feel sorry for are those deluded fans who actually thought we were going up.

StT.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:47 am

llan bluebird wrote:I never believed....... :(

Nor me, or anyone else I know who watches us, just a dozen or so people on this forum I reckon...

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:06 am

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:We were never going to get promoted under Slade this season, or any season for that matter. You cant carry a tactically naiive manager. The only people I feel sorry for are those deluded fans who actually thought we were going up.

StT.

I agree.
It's ok being optimistic and dreaming like lots on here but I prefer to be realistic and never believed in the play offs under Slade.
The biggest joke has been the posters who have changed their opinion of him several times this season and have been unable to understand the man and his failings.
I'm hoping for a fresh start and new manager next season but strongly believe he'll be offered a new contract.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:52 am

That's the biggest fear,Slade re appointed and another wasted season,the end of the parachute payments getting closer.

Crowds and season tickets going down if you discount the ones given away for free it's not looking good.

Some big teams coming down next season also we will do well to get top 1/2.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:54 am

I think we need to bite the bullet next season and get someone like Ross McCormack back. Someone who is used to scoring 20 goals in the Championship - even for sides that don't get promoted. The purchase cost can be covered by offloading the loan players.

In some respects I think we have outperformed this season but, on the other hand, it just shows the difference one player may have made

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:38 am

The results over the past 4 games are disappointing and there can be no argument about that.

However, our biggest problem this season has been the lack of a decent striker. For the past 18 months we have operated under cost cutting austerity which made bringing in new players difficult. VT rightly pointed out that we already had a cupboard full of strikers in Doyle, Ravell, Mason, Jones, Le Fondre and Macheda. Surely one of them could find the back of the net?

With typical Cardiff City luck the answer was no for various reasons. In January things got worse with a transfer embargo and we had to employ a sticking plaster approach with some decent loan signings and a winger operating upfront.

Ultimately this cost us despite the initial success with the Pilkington/Lex experiment because it petered out once the scouting reports of the teams were about to play worked out AP could be nullified by using the offside trap.

Dropping O'Keefe (and substituting him) were poor decisions and I hope that the reason was based on fitness rather than Gunnar kicking up a fuss and being picked to keep him quite.

That said I think a bigger impact on the team is Tom Lawrence being benched. Our best performance recently was the Brighton game where our forward line looked balanced with TL (Right) AP (Centre) Whittingham (Left). Once Noone is brought in he plays right but cuts in on his left foot too often and the attack breaks down. I would prefer him on the left and see him go past the full-back more often and deliver a decent cross.

When you look back on the season with all the self inflicted mistakes, the awful refereeing decisions and the shambles at the club it is amazing we are 7th!

On the basis that a new manager doesn't guarantee success (unless he is given a huge transfer budget) I am willing to give Slade the benefit of the doubt, but expect him to rectify the glaring mistakes he has made this season and that includes telling the players where and when to play and not just taking the soft options to keep some players happy.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:37 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:The results over the past 4 games are disappointing and there can be no argument about that.

However, our biggest problem this season has been the lack of a decent striker. For the past 18 months we have operated under cost cutting austerity which made bringing in new players difficult. VT rightly pointed out that we already had a cupboard full of strikers in Doyle, Ravell, Mason, Jones, Le Fondre and Macheda. Surely one of them could find the back of the net?

With typical Cardiff City luck the answer was no for various reasons. In January things got worse with a transfer embargo and we had to employ a sticking plaster approach with some decent loan signings and a winger operating upfront.

Ultimately this cost us despite the initial success with the Pilkington/Lex experiment because it petered out once the scouting reports of the teams were about to play worked out AP could be nullified by using the offside trap.

Dropping O'Keefe (and substituting him) were poor decisions and I hope that the reason was based on fitness rather than Gunnar kicking up a fuss and being picked to keep him quite.

That said I think a bigger impact on the team is Tom Lawrence being benched. Our best performance recently was the Brighton game where our forward line looked balanced with TL (Right) AP (Centre) Whittingham (Left). Once Noone is brought in he plays right but cuts in on his left foot too often and the attack breaks down. I would prefer him on the left and see him go past the full-back more often and deliver a decent cross.

When you look back on the season with all the self inflicted mistakes, the awful refereeing decisions and the shambles at the club it is amazing we are 7th!

On the basis that a new manager doesn't guarantee success (unless he is given a huge transfer budget) I am willing to give Slade the benefit of the doubt, but expect him to rectify the glaring mistakes he has made this season and that includes telling the players where and when to play and not just taking the soft options to keep some players happy.

All the points you have mentioned are valid, and in every case is down to weak and poor management decisions. I am not calling for the manager to be sacked as the team is higher than i expected it to be at the start of the season. However, you get what you pay for, Slade came cheap and that is why I never believed we would get a sniff as far as promotion was concerned. He does'nt appear to learn anything from his mistakes, and |I see no reason after the years he has spent in management why anything is likely to change now. If Tan is looking for another season or two of consolidation without spending anything, then Slade is probably as good as anyone else right now. If he is looking at pushing forward and mounting a serious promotion challenge, then he will have to appoint a new manager because Slade will not take this club to the next level in a million years.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:32 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:The results over the past 4 games are disappointing and there can be no argument about that.

All the points you have mentioned are valid, and in every case is down to weak and poor management decisions. I am not calling for the manager to be sacked as the team is higher than i expected it to be at the start of the season. However, you get what you pay for, Slade came cheap and that is why I never believed we would get a sniff as far as promotion was concerned. He does'nt appear to learn anything from his mistakes, and |I see no reason after the years he has spent in management why anything is likely to change now. If Tan is looking for another season or two of consolidation without spending anything, then Slade is probably as good as anyone else right now. If he is looking at pushing forward and mounting a serious promotion challenge, then he will have to appoint a new manager because Slade will not take this club to the next level in a million years.

Paying over the odds for a manager has been tried (OGS) and failed miserably. For what we pay Slade compared to other Championship managers and in return we get 7th place is excellent value for money. I fear sacking Slade and replacing him with someone who will only achieve the same table position or less and cost us far more money like Dave Jones did.

I'm willing to have a leap of faith and give RS another season. However, that comes with an expectation that he learns from his mistakes and stops taking weak decisions.

His moto for next season has to be "Fortune Favours the Bold"

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:52 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Paying over the odds for a manager has been tried (OGS) and failed miserably. For what we pay Slade compared to other Championship managers and in return we get 7th place is excellent value for money. I fear sacking Slade and replacing him with someone who will only achieve the same table position or less and cost us far more money like Dave Jones did.

I'm willing to have a leap of faith and give RS another season. However, that comes with an expectation that he learns from his mistakes and stops taking weak decisions.

His moto for next season has to be "Fortune Favours the Bold"

Rusell Slade is 55 years old, he isn't going to come to Jesus and see the light. He is what he is and thats it. The small 14 man real squad showing extreme loyalty to the "group" is what he is about. It worked with Liverpool in the 80's, but that era has long gone.

If you can't change the people then change the people.

In Ole we choose a big money name rather than a big money manager. There are many others we could choose.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Learn from his mistakes, highly unlikely as he hasn't shown anything but stubbornness and old fashioned ways.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:38 pm

I have said all along we wouldn't do it. Slade has never won a promotion and that was in the lower leagues as well. So he was never going to do it with us.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:48 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:We were never going to get promoted under Slade this season, or any season for that matter. You cant carry a tactically naiive manager. The only people I feel sorry for are those deluded fans who actually thought we were going up.

StT.

I agree.
It's ok being optimistic and dreaming like lots on here but I prefer to be realistic and never believed in the play offs under Slade.
The biggest joke has been the posters who have changed their opinion of him several times this season and have been unable to understand the man and his failings.
I'm hoping for a fresh start and new manager next season but strongly believe he'll be offered a new contract.

Yeah can't stand them posters. ;)