Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Name one side bigger than us....

Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:26 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Aberbeeg Blues wrote:The reason I asked the question is I personally can’t think of one. Doesn’t mean to say there isn’t one.

i cant either...massive under achievers and have been for decades...

Totally agree with you :bluebird: :bluebird:

Potentially we are a Top 10 Premier League crowd puller, but would need at least 5 yrs up there. :bluebird:

I mentioned Sunderland but theyve spent beyond yrs up there, but virtually winning nothing in the last 40,thats why i mentioned them.

Thanks for making me feel older than usual this morning, I remember watching the FA cup final they won. :old: :old: :old:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:36 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Aberbeeg Blues wrote:The reason I asked the question is I personally can’t think of one. Doesn’t mean to say there isn’t one.

i cant either...massive under achievers and have been for decades...

Totally agree with you :bluebird: :bluebird:

Potentially we are a Top 10 Premier League crowd puller, but would need at least 5 yrs up there. :bluebird:

I mentioned Sunderland but theyve spent beyond yrs up there, but virtually winning nothing in the last 40,thats why i mentioned them.

Thanks for making me feel older than usual this morning, I remember watching the FA cup final they won. :old: :old: :old:

:lol: :thumbright:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 pm

I think that being in the shadow of Rugby from 1970-2000 hindered our progression and support big time. Large crowds then only turned up for the big games.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Agreed the rugby has always hindered us as a club

Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:38 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:Agreed the rugby has always hindered us as a club

In the 1970’s and 1980’s but now.

If we are winning rugby soon becomes 2nd :bluebird:

But then Bristol have two football clubs and Bristol Rugby

Bradford City have Bradford Northern

etc

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:07 pm

Wigan massive rugby league town but they still managed years in premier league and fa cup win .leeds also rugby league massive.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:26 pm

Plymouth fans are always telling me they are a sleeping giant.
Only averaged 13-14k during their Championship period.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:Sunderland fall into the same category as Newcastle. They both have many many more seasons in the top flight than ourselves. Which makes them a lot more “successful” than us.

My question was name a bigger club than us who have had LESS success than ourselves.

And they've both won the League and FA Cup.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm

ThomasC wrote:Nottingham Forest. We've had more prem seasons than them I would have thought. Similar sized clubs

Forest won the League, 2 European Cups and a few League Cups.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:46 pm

For me the answer to the original question is Bristol City. They come from a bigger City but have not had many seasons in the top flight, less than us. They had 8 seasons in Division 1, 5 of those in the early 1900s and 3 in the late 1970s. They got to one FA Cup Final and lost and only to the Semi Final of the League Cup. So we have done much better than them.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10 pm

I don't think their fanbase is bigger than ours they like Swansea have never had crowds in excess of 30000 in their history.we've managed 40000/ 50000 crowds on quite a few occasions in our history.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:42 pm

Look at how schools in 70’s and 80’s obsessed with promoting Rugby and no football facilities.
How many times have City been shafted to Fri night and Sunday 12pm kick off because Rugby had Sat pm preference.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:32 pm

Yeah, I went to Whitchurch and football wasn’t allowed in games, so a load of us refused to do anything.. now they’re touting Gareth Bale. Disgusting eggers.. they used to field 5 rugby teams on a Saturday morning in the 70s/80s.. struggle to raise 1 now... good enough