Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Updated " Wrexham promoted to the EFL "

Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:01 pm

It's not much of a jump for the two lads to "sell" the club to an American consortium of like-minded friends to increase the funds and reduce their liability.

The two lads can still be front and centre. A consortium of 10 people each throwing in £5 mill probably does the trick all the way to the championship.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:21 pm

llan bluebird wrote:It's not much of a jump for the two lads to "sell" the club to an American consortium of like-minded friends to increase the funds and reduce their liability.

The two lads can still be front and centre. A consortium of 10 people each throwing in £5 mill probably does the trick all the way to the championship.

It's what Reynolds does with all his companies. Sold Aviation to Diaggio and sold Mint Mobile to EE. Kept a percentage for himself and stayed on the board.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:36 pm

mugsy wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
mugsy wrote:
royalblue wrote:The higher up they go the owners will realise the reality of owning a football club is not so easy after all. Easy to spend some cash and win the National league as no other teams have funds. Fair play to them tho they currently have massive media coverage.
In my opinion Newport's promotion back to the football league was a much bigger achievement. They dropped further below what's now the National league they lost their ground they were virtually non existent and didn't have the investment Wrexham had and no where near the same media coverage. With Wrexham it's all about the Hollywood owners.
I am happy for Wrexham good to see them back but just saying hope these owners understand its not all easy sailing. Like we say about our owners you need people running the club that understand football otherwise it doesn't end well. Promotion back to the football league is the easy part.

Spot on - we will see if the owners are amazing as Annis says they are if and when they get to Division 1 and their plaything gets a lot more expensive. My forecast is it will all end in tears. If Wrexham had all this money pumped in by a wealthy British businessman, Wrexham winning the Nationsl League would have hardly caused a ripple in the media - it is only because of the Holywood connection that has caused all this fuss. Fingers crossed Notts County go up via the play offs.

Read a few comments like this and to be honest it sounds a bit like sour grapes and envy.

Their club is on the way up, and ours in on the way down - even if we don't go down, doesn't change the fact we're on a downwards trajectory with our ownership.

You can't tell me it's unrealistic they get to the Championship under these two brilliant owners when the likes of Burton, Wycombe, even Wigan who haven't got a pot to piss in have been promoted from League One in recent years.

I say good luck to them and I'm pleased for them.

Agree about Notts County though - and Ryan Reynolds said last night they're "all rooting for Notts County".

I reiterate my point if there was not the Holywood connection, there would not be this blanket coverage and it would not make the news and be considered an amazing achievement. It is another Salford and will eventually wither on the vine.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:39 pm

royalblue wrote:
mugsy wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
mugsy wrote:
royalblue wrote:The higher up they go the owners will realise the reality of owning a football club is not so easy after all. Easy to spend some cash and win the National league as no other teams have funds. Fair play to them tho they currently have massive media coverage.
In my opinion Newport's promotion back to the football league was a much bigger achievement. They dropped further below what's now the National league they lost their ground they were virtually non existent and didn't have the investment Wrexham had and no where near the same media coverage. With Wrexham it's all about the Hollywood owners.
I am happy for Wrexham good to see them back but just saying hope these owners understand its not all easy sailing. Like we say about our owners you need people running the club that understand football otherwise it doesn't end well. Promotion back to the football league is the easy part.

Spot on - we will see if the owners are amazing as Annis says they are if and when they get to Division 1 and their plaything gets a lot more expensive. My forecast is it will all end in tears. If Wrexham had all this money pumped in by a wealthy British businessman, Wrexham winning the Nationsl League would have hardly caused a ripple in the media - it is only because of the Holywood connection that has caused all this fuss. Fingers crossed Notts County go up via the play offs.

Read a few comments like this and to be honest it sounds a bit like sour grapes and envy.

Their club is on the way up, and ours in on the way down - even if we don't go down, doesn't change the fact we're on a downwards trajectory with our ownership.

You can't tell me it's unrealistic they get to the Championship under these two brilliant owners when the likes of Burton, Wycombe, even Wigan who haven't got a pot to piss in have been promoted from League One in recent years.

I say good luck to them and I'm pleased for them.

Agree about Notts County though - and Ryan Reynolds said last night they're "all rooting for Notts County".

I reiterate my point if there was not the Holywood connection, there would not be this blanket coverage and it would not make the news and be considered an amazing achievement. It is another Salford and will eventually wither on the vine.

Surely that's the point of this experiment or whatever it is. The blanket coverage is what is getting them the following, the shirt sales and a global following.

New football business models that utilise large social media profiles and worldwide exposure like this could be the way forward. No longer will small clubs be hampered by the size of their crowds.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:55 pm

Seen them on one of the national morning news shows here in the US this morning at least twice. Of course it's because of the Hollywood connection, so what, we can only dream of coverage like that as well as an owner who cares as much.

The coverage can only be good for Wales as well, doesn't matter how it ends eventually, it's the here & now that matters today.

Seems like everyone up there is pulling for Notts County as well & they deserve it.