Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: IS IT THE MANAGER OR THE PLAYERS FAULT?

Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm

The easiest way for touches in the penalty area is direct. I like direct football but loads and I mean load moaned about "style" .

With time to reflect

11 points better off than last season, we'd be neck and neck with QPR
The championship is returning to normality after last season's madness of small well-run clubs over-achieving and poorly run "bigger" clubs ditching costs at the expense of common sense

Hindsight is 20/20. This division is a pace and power league, British football is but the premier adds quality. IMO Bulut thought we could out-pass teams through systems, but its not working and he doesn't have the players to do anything about it.
Leaving Davies in Belgium and not getting a defending left back was madness, we need pace out wide so basic hacks out of defense may turn into something.

So the question is, Bulut seems a bright bloke, does he stay and reflect to change direction next season subtly or do we start all over again?

We need to stick with him and accept he is not the messiah........He is a (you know the rest)

Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:17 pm

llan bluebird wrote:The easiest way for touches in the penalty area is direct. I like direct football but loads and I mean load moaned about "style" .

With time to reflect

The championship is returning to normality after last season's madness of small well-run clubs over-achieving and poorly run "bigger" clubs ditching costs at the expense of common sense

Hindsight is 20/20. This division is a pace and power league, British football is but the premier adds quality. IMO Bulut thought we could out-pass teams through systems, but its not working and he doesn't have the players to do anything about it.
Leaving Davies in Belgium and not getting a defending left back was madness, we need pace out wide so basic hacks out of defense may turn into something.

So the question is, Bulut seems a bright bloke, does he stay and reflect to change direction next season subtly or do we start all over again?

We need to stick with him and accept he is not the messiah........He is a (you know the rest)

If last year is a measure of comparison, then we're in big problems. That season should be forgotten about.

Let's look at some meaningful stats:

- Our 2 top goalscorers are defenders. NG with 5 then Goutas with 4 (tied with Grant)
- Etete is our highest 'Shots on Target per 90 min' with 1.1. NO OTHER PLAYER is >1 with Robinson second at 0.8
- Rubin Colwill leads out 'Shots per game' with 2.6. Our most prolific hitting the target, Etete, is 2.4

Conclusion: Shoot more!!

- Possession won in final 3rd per 90 min is led by Etete. 1.5 times per game on average. All the rest of the squad are 1 or below.

Conclusion: We're too deep!! Press!!

- We then concede more (1.4) than we score (1.2) per game.
- Bang on mid table for number of clean sheets at 8 (first positive of this post)
- 23rd out of 24 for Touches in Opposition Box
- 21st for Number of corners
- 23rd out of 24 for Fouls per match.

I don't know what others make of these, but a back 6 clearly isn't helping action in the final third!

Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:32 pm

Einstein wrote:Do you create a system and then try to fill it with the players you have....

Or

Look at your players and then develop a system to suit what you have....

Warnock does the latter, I tend to agree with him. For example we don't have enough pace in our wingbacks

I was going to say the same.

To add... I'm a big fan of get all your best players on the pitch. Colwill, Ramsey, Turnbull. Can probably play all 3 with a solid back 4.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:36 pm

SB 1927 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:The easiest way for touches in the penalty area is direct. I like direct football but loads and I mean load moaned about "style" .

With time to reflect

If last year is a measure of comparison, then we're in big problems. That season should be forgotten about.

Let's look at some meaningful stats:

- Our 2 top goalscorers are defenders. NG with 5 then Goutas with 4 (tied with Grant)
- Etete is our highest 'Shots on Target per 90 min' with 1.1. NO OTHER PLAYER is >1 with Robinson second at 0.8
- Rubin Colwill leads out 'Shots per game' with 2.6. Our most prolific hitting the target, Etete, is 2.4

Conclusion: Shoot more!!

- Possession won in final 3rd per 90 min is led by Etete. 1.5 times per game on average. All the rest of the squad are 1 or below.

Conclusion: We're too deep!! Press!!

- We then concede more (1.4) than we score (1.2) per game.
- Bang on mid table for number of clean sheets at 8 (first positive of this post)
- 23rd out of 24 for Touches in Opposition Box
- 21st for Number of corners
- 23rd out of 24 for Fouls per match.

I don't know what others make of these, but a back 6 clearly isn't helping action in the final third!

100% agree we are too deep at home, away it works but home is painful.

We can't press with Etete, Colwill, Rambo, Meite, Tanner, Turnbull, Bowler as they are either too slow, unfit or injury-prone.

Increasingly losing our only genuine 8 kills us, especially with Rambo and Dowda's sitting in the stands.
Wintle and Siopis are sitters patrolling in front of the back 4 stealing ball or mopping up. They hold onto the ball waiting to give it to someone with a different skillset. Ralls has dropped back as his injuries take hold but fundamentally this is a product of Warnock and his first thought is to get the ball forward quickly. We have no replacement for Ralls, every time he is not on the park we struggle.

Bulut doesn't trust Colwill in that "8" role because he can't get around the park and snuff out trouble as well as create. But thats what I thought Turnbull was going to be, he won't be as aggressive as Ralls but a little more technical.

How many players would be starters in any other club around midtable ?
NG,Goutas, Siopis, Grant, O'Dowda ?
Maybe's - McGuiness, Colwill
Not mentioning Rambo & Ralls

9 from a squad of 22 is telling

Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:40 pm

Thing is if we play Wintle/Ralls & Sip, i dont mind if Ramsey/Colwill dont do as much defensive work because we had 4 defenders and 2 mids to cover, thats more then enough.

We have no pace so when we win the ball in our own half we cant get back out and end up turning it over.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:43 pm

This topic was started in February, its September tomorrow and SOD all has changed, were still a shite team with this idiot in charge.

Ive NEVER rated Bulut and im glad the majority are finally seeing it now. Thanks for everything Erol but enoughs enough.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:58 pm

It Erol's fault, this is very much his team now and he is in charge of motivating these players but can't.

We'll never have a proper dressing room and players with that never say die attitude so long as Bulut is at the helm.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:47 pm

Players can be blamed up to a point, but this is four games now.

The manager has to take responsibility for his tactics which clearly aren’t working.

He has to change the tactics but I don’t see that happening so he needs to go.

Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:19 pm

At the end of the day it’s the managers fault,surprised he kept same team and tactics but it didn’t work unfortunately.Whats not helping him is so many players are off form or lacking confidence (Ng ODowda Siopis Goutas Howarth).
I’ve said in another thread I believe he tried to stay in the game and hopefully win it with the subs again.
At home we need to be on the front foot from the off.