Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ‘ Mick Harford / Mark McGuinness ‘

Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:14 am

The fact that we'd look to sell a 23 year old who is already on the verge of being a Premiership level player, in order to fund signing more aging injury prone frees on big wages says it all about how the club is run.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:47 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I feel like this is brilliant business by the club, if we get anything over £5m. He’s obviously not first choice in the managers eyes, and to be getting a good sum for him is a bonus. I believe Goutas and Chambers are better than him, and if the money is reinvested then it’s a no brainer.

Completely agree with this.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:54 am

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:
Nickoblue23 wrote:If he was so easily replaceable then a team chasing promotion wouldn't be desperate to sign him.

Just putting it out there by everyone's opinion he's a top pro, leader and very popular in the group.

Not so easily replaceable. You've also got look at what it says to the rest of the squad that we're willing to sell our best player with high potential to a rival.

Doesn't look good on our own ambition.

Lastly if these players are so easily replaceable, we haven't replaced Kieffer Moore with 3 years of trying.

Gutted if he goes but very disappointed in the club to sell to another championship club as it looks terrible.

Spot on. This deal stinks. Luton are a tin pot club. What do we aspire to be as the Welsh capital's football club?

But run way way better than us with home crowds of 9,500-10,500

Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:26 am

barnet blue wrote:The fact that we'd look to sell a 23 year old who is already on the verge of being a Premiership level player, in order to fund signing more aging injury prone frees on big wages says it all about how the club is run.

It's good business. These buy lows/sell big are something we have been terrible at over recent years. We are still in debt. Sometimes this has to happen.

I can't see him making the prem, and don't think he's as good as others make him out to be.

I'd prefer not to sell, but understand why. It shows maturity if anything (again, something we haven't shown for years - but is very much a one-off).

Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:47 am

Don't necessarily want to sell him, but ultimately if the right price comes in then we need to take it.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:53 am

It’s been 2 weeks of negotiations:

The Media / Dalmans:

It’s going to be put out Mark McGuinness is being Sold for up to £10mill

First that includes his New Contract for a min 3 yrs where his wage has nearly tripled.
Signing on fee of nearly £800,000

£2mill if Luton are promoted to Premiership

If he plays 25 matches this season another £1mill

25% going to Arsenal

City will originally net about £4.5mill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Mick Harford / Mark McGuinness ‘ The Deal Worth up t

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:14 pm

To me, if the Club can bank £5m from this sale then it's good business. I think McGuiness is too slow to develop into a Premiership player while his concentration level will develop, at present he is always good for a mistake in each game he plays. If we can find a replacement centre half and a striker I would be happy.

Re: Mick Harford / Mark McGuinness ‘ The Deal Worth up to £1

Good deal for city and mcguiness, hopefully the new Norwegian lad is just as good or if not better .

Re: ‘ Mick Harford / Mark McGuinness ‘ The Deal Worth up t

Stuck in the 70;s wrote:To me, if the Club can bank £5m from this sale then it's good business. I think McGuiness is too slow to develop into a Premiership player while his concentration level will develop, at present he is always good for a mistake in each game he plays. If we can find a replacement centre half and a striker I would be happy.

Got to agree with you .

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:It’s been 2 weeks of negotiations:

The Media / Dalmans:

First that includes his New Contract for a min 3 yrs where his wage has nearly tripled.

25% going to Arsenal

We signed McGuinness as a free agent and had to pay a compensation fee to Arsenal due to his age. As his contract was expired there is absolutely no way they could have a sell on clause. So I’m not sure where that has come from.
That being said even if there was a 25% sell on fee and we’re still getting £4.5m before add on’s it’s still great business.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:23 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:

The Media / Dalmans:

25% going to Arsenal

We signed McGuinness as a free agent and had to pay a compensation fee to Arsenal due to his age. As his contract was expired there is absolutely no way they could have a sell on clause. So I’m not sure where that has come from.
That being said even if there was a 25% sell on fee and we’re still getting £4.5m before add on’s it’s still great business.

Well they are getting 25% that’s true

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:27 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
BaltimoreBlues wrote:I just don’t understand if we are selling him, it just makes no sense. We desperately short at CB, and if true looking into signing a CB, which let’s be honest will probably be a cheap option. If we had any ambition we would be thinking of keeping a player especially at his age.

£3-4m quoted for our new centre back.

So after arsenal take their cut, we're left with £4.5m and we're paying £3-4m for a replacement who's never played a game in this country, that's great business..........NOT :banghead: :banghead:

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

The Media / Dalmans:

25% going to Arsenal

I understand you’ve been told that but if he was not contracted to Arsenal then it’s actually impossible for them to have a sell on fee.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:29 pm

Damned if do damned if font springs to mind... but personally he doesn't have ability to play out from back safely... maybe he'll suit Luton better... let's hope money is well spent especially on a forward.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

The Media / Dalmans:

25% going to Arsenal

I understand you’ve been told that but if he was not contracted to Arsenal then it’s actually impossible for them to have a sell on fee.

No point debating with you as I am told from a very Senior City Official.

Listen I would rather say we came away with more so I could demand we spend more, but We Net £4.5mill and will get more if Luton promoted and McGuinness plays so many games.

Good deal if we buy a Quality Striker

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:33 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Damned if do damned if font springs to mind... but personally he doesn't have ability to play out from back safely... maybe he'll suit Luton better... let's hope money is well spent especially on a forward.

Spot on Allan

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:36 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

The Media / Dalmans:

25% going to Arsenal

No point debating with you as I am told from a very Senior City Official.

Listen I would rather say we came away with more so I could demand we spend more, but We Net £4.5mill and will get more if Luton promoted and McGuinness plays so many games.

Good deal if we buy a Quality Striker

Yes we certainly need to be reinvesting it straight away. Although quite a bit it going on the Centre Half who by all accounts is a steal for the price we’re getting him, and definitely an upgrade on McGuinness. All in all this is a superb bit of transfer business.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:40 pm

Need to spend some of the money on a striker.

But don’t see this ever reaching £10m, some of it is if Luton go up and that won’t happen this season. They’re not even targeting promotion.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 12:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Damned if do damned if font springs to mind... but personally he doesn't have ability to play out from back safely... maybe he'll suit Luton better... let's hope money is well spent especially on a forward.

Spot on Allan

Annis as you put its been on cards him going for ages got to question why? don't believe its just DM wanted to sell him maybe bulut sees him
as a weak link to implement playing out from back I certainly thought he was... whilst hhinks are bad at moment there's enough signs (creating chances attacking inentions) to believe it will improve especially if couple more players arrive...

Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:14 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Need to spend some of the money on a striker.

But don’t see this ever reaching £10m, some of it is if Luton go up and that won’t happen this season. They’re not even targeting promotion.

Agree 1 in 4 chance at best according to the bookies so not exactly nailed on. Luton can afford to be very generous with type of on as they know its unlikely and if it happens its a drop in the ocean to what they will earn

Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:33 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Need to spend some of the money on a striker.

Ned,

Correct City are not getting NO where near this £10mill.

It’s wages, signing on fee, agent, promotion, appearances etc

Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:44 pm

Let's hope McGuiness stays relatively injury free this season as he's suffered quite a few in the last few seasons.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:15 pm

Good deal for us if the figures are correct

Good luck to the guy always gives 100%

Not sure about this 25% to Arsenal? He wasn’t contracted to Arsenal so not sure if that can be correct?!

Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:33 pm

Looks as though he did join from Arsenal looking back at some articles, however there’s no mention of a fee. So likely we had him for free with 25% sell on.

So looks as though we’re getting about £4.5m for this up front, which for a free transfer is excellent business, no two ways about it. But I can’t help but think he’s worth more to us than £4.5m.

As said above, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Mick Hartford ex Luton Town manager now shareholder and advisor has been looking after Mark McGuinness and setting up the deal.

McGuinness never asked to leave, he’s been virtually told he’s on his way.

It’s not 100% sealed but Luton are desperate for a good defender.

It reminds me of Kieffer Moore deal to Wolves we’ve sold you, but Wolves would not pay the whole £7mill upfront and it fell through.

But i believe tomorrow it will be done and finalised.

It’s been 2 weeks of negotiations:

The Media / Dalmans:

It’s going to be put out Mark McGuinness is being Sold for up to £10mill / Luton paying that:

First that includes his New Contract / Wages for a min 3 yrs where his wage has nearly tripled.

Agents Fee

25% going to Arsenal

Conversely, we paid nowhere near the £6m reported for Gary Madine. Significant add ons were included in the whole transfer fee agreement which also included wages and signing on fee, appearance and goals triggers. We also received a significant promotion bonus from Sheffield United at the time.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:05 pm

Been thinking about this.

Bulut said Top 2 worse Top 6

Tan / Dalman expect at least Top 6

I then say if we really are intending on Promotion you don’t sell one of your best players

Mark McGuinness

One of our best defenders and still young
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:07 pm

It's a shame to lose him as I believe he will get better and will iron out the big mistakes.

Good deal all round I think. Wish him bets of luck in his career I once believed a future city captain in making but with the 2 new centre backs coming in and some change for a striker you can't complain the club selling an asset

Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:50 pm

How is 25% going to Arsenal? Sure we signed him on a free transfer, unless someone can bring up any articles indicating a sell on fee when we signed him?

Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:37 am

No sell on fee in his contract. He renewed it with us last year. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:41 am

Bluebird_87 wrote:No sell on fee in his contract. He renewed it with us last year. :ayatollah:

Mmm I see your point but that depends I reckon. Arsenal may have put a clause in the original contract stating the sell on WHENEVER he’s sold.
Personally I can’t remember a sell on when he originally joined us; that doesn’t mean there wasn’t one mind.