Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who gets your vote on July 4th?

You may select 1 option

View results

Re: O/T General Election on July 4th

Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:43 pm

Great I absolutely can’t stand Sunak

Latest Poll shows Sunak's Tories will face a devastating defeat in the upcoming elections and could end up with just 66 seats, ceding a 302 majority to Labor in UK parliament in next week's elections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Great I absolutely can’t stand Sunak

Latest Poll shows Sunak's Tories will face a devastating defeat in the upcoming elections and could end up with just 66 seats, ceding a 302 majority to Labor in UK parliament in next week's elections.

From Roland Rat to Flip Flop Starmer. It really is an AIDS or Ebola election.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:56 pm

Jock wrote:

From Roland Rat to Flip Flop Starmer. It really is an AIDS or Ebola election.

Your right, both are NO good.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:06 pm

If the Reform party hold there form then yes I can see this happening. It happened to John Major, he was expected to hand Labour a 80 seat majority but Tactical Voting (TV) handed Labour a record 189 seat majority. Thing with this TV is people voted for the candidate that was going to defeat the Conservative candidate. So if say it was the Liberal candidate who was going to defeat the Conservative then everyone but a Conservate votes voted for the Liberal. TV could be a bit different this time.

With the emergence of the Reform party they will take quite a few disgruntled Tory votes leaving the door open for whoever was going to come 2nd in a Conservate constituency. Although everyone is saying its going to be a big Labour majority I am not sure. A Labour majority yes but not a landslide.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:54 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

If the Reform party hold there form then yes I can see this happening. It happened to John Major, he was expected to hand Labour a 80 seat majority but Tactical Voting (TV) handed Labour a record 189 seat majority. Thing with this TV is people voted for the candidate that was going to defeat the Conservative candidate. So if say it was the Liberal candidate who was going to defeat the Conservative then everyone but a Conservate votes voted for the Liberal. TV could be a bit different this time.

With the emergence of the Reform party they will take quite a few disgruntled Tory votes leaving the door open for whoever was going to come 2nd in a Conservate constituency. Although everyone is saying its going to be a big Labour majority I am not sure. A Labour majority yes but not a landslide.

Reform will certainly take a lot of votes off the Tories. The announcement today that Farage is more heavily involved will help Reform. Whether you love him or hate him, there are few better communicators than Farage.

They will also take some votes from Labour, but nowhere near what they will take off the Tories.

Like I said in an earlier post, I have been out campaigning every day since Sunak called the election and we (Labour) are seeing a lot of support. The picture will be different in other parts of the country obviously but this is what I’m hearing in Worcester - a place we have to win to win the election.

There was a poll today that put Labour on a 194 seat majority. I will say here and now that I don’t see that happening. I think that is far too high and difficult to imagine it being the case on polling day.

I can see one of two things happening.

The first is a Labour majority of 50-60, which I would be satisfied with considering I said after 2019 that we had no chance of competing until 2029.

Either that or a shock hung Parliament with Labour as the largest party.

The Tories can’t win this election and I don’t think they are even trying to, they’re just trying to minimise their losses.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:32 pm

I got my wife in 97 a lifelong (family) Tory voter to vote for Blair as even she couldn't vote for Major at that time. Blair was new, fresh, and with Mandy and Gordon Brown was a decade ahead of the Tories in terms of focus groups and messaging.

27 years later Starmer, the Blair tribute act doesn't evoke the same types of feelings. Those who voted labour last election (32%) will still vote for them, but they can't guarantee the 10% floating vote game changers.

Farage throws the cat amongst the pigeons with that 10%. My wife can't vote for Starmer, but is unforgiving over how the tories have behaved over the last four years,Reform may well be her answer now as Farage sucks media attention and is a seasoned performer whereas Sunak & Starmer are boring technocrats.

The same can be said in Scotland where the SNP's self-destruction is akin to the Tories, so labour should be getting a lot of Scottish seats

I can see 30~50 seats majority for labour, with those on the right moaning about FPTP as reform will get bucketloads of votes with little to show from it.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:36 pm

The YouGuv poll showed the expected landslide that Labour could secure. It is even more impressive when one views the 2019 and 2024 maps and further consider the Conservatives usually look like they have more of the nation by vitue of their prominence in rural rather than urban constitiencies

'Boris to the rescue' next? I'll wager some will call for it! :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:26 pm

FB_IMG_1716930560994.jpg

Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:02 pm

And if the election was tomorrow that poll would probably be accurate but there's many a slip between cup and lip as they say and although he won't be getting my vote I was impressed with Farage today. They'll get a real bump which will show up by the next poll and may well yet have an influence on the outcome after all.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:11 pm

Nigel Farage’s announcement on Monday to run as a candidate for Reform UK in this general election is a move that has the capacity to both reset and re-align the Conservative Party.

Despite having stood to be an MP unsuccessfully seven times, he is more of a household name than some Conservative ministers. Many Conservative campaigners and strategists feared him standing for Reform UK, worried that he might split the vote in some seats that the Conservatives are trying to hold on to - or even ones where they’ve previously enjoyed a pretty safe majority.

While they won't admit it publicly, some in the Labour camp are privately delighted at the news of his campaign for exactly this reason.

This is the first way Mr Farage has the potential to "reset" the Conservative party - by potentially denying it seats.

A poll that was published just minutes after Mr Farage announced his candidacy (and so were carried out some time before), suggests that Reform UK are not currently on course to win any seats, external. Of course this is just one poll, the usual caveats apply, other polls may vary.

But even if they don't win seats, if the right-wing vote is splintered in some constituencies, especially those that are more marginal, that could spell quite severe trouble for the Conservative party.

Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:31 pm

We need to change the voting system to proportional representation like they have on the continent, then Reform may have a bigger say in things. They talk about issues that concern most, yet the other parties ignore. I'm not sure if Labour would change the voting system though, here's hoping.

Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:17 am

The “but Labour are as bad as the Tories” is a lazy excuse not to critically think in my opinion. A lot has changed since they were last in power.

If you honestly think that’s the case then vote elsewhere but I don’t see how anyone can honestly look at the years of corruption, incompetence and lies and not think any kind of change is needed.

I’m one of the “they’re all pretty much in it for themselves” camp, but so will vote for the ones that I think have some empathy and compassion for the working man. Who that is I’m unsure of yet.

Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:38 am

Underhill1927 wrote:The “but Labour are as bad as the Tories” is a lazy excuse not to critically think in my opinion. A lot has changed since they were last in power.

If you honestly think that’s the case then vote elsewhere but I don’t see how anyone can honestly look at the years of corruption, incompetence and lies and not think any kind of change is needed.

I’m one of the “they’re all pretty much in it for themselves” camp, but so will vote for the ones that I think have some empathy and compassion for the working man. Who that is I’m unsure of yet.

The working man would have to be wearing a frock before Labour showed him any compassion.

Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:42 am

Jock wrote:
Underhill1927 wrote:The “but Labour are as bad as the Tories” is a lazy excuse not to critically think in my opinion. A lot has changed since they were last in power.

The working man would have to be wearing a frock before Labour showed him any compassion.

That’s extreme haha.

Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:42 am

Jock wrote:

That’s extreme haha.

Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:44 pm

Reform are now more for the working man than any of the main stream parties .labour and tories are practically the same tbh .

Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:18 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Reform are now more for the working man than any of the main stream parties .labour and tories are practically the same tbh .

I’d rather the Tories over Farage and his right wing fools.

Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:21 pm

wez1927 wrote:

I’d rather the Tories over Farage and his right wing fools.

Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:37 pm

Hate sunak but he battered starmer in the debate tonight ,if your a pensioner or take a pension you should be worried about taxes labour are going to put on you .

Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:41 pm

wez1927 wrote:Hate sunak but he battered starmer in the debate tonight ,if your a pensioner or take a pension you should be worried about taxes labour are going to put on you .

Likewise if you’re under 50 you’d be worried about a Tory government.

I’d call it a draw tonight. That’s good for Sunak because he stops the tide a bit. Labour also happy because they haven’t had a big gaffe that would cost them votes.

One poll says 51-49 to Subak, another that says 52-48 to Starmer on tonight’s debate - that backs up my view that it was probably a draw.

Won’t make much difference to the election result, because it was so close.

Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:14 pm

At least Sunak answered the questions directly. KS NEVER did. Why? He really does not have a plan. BUT undoubtedly he WIL raise taxes. Then all who voted for him and change will moan for the next 5 years. Starmer and Raynor the dream team :banghead:

Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:52 am

Brezza wrote:At least Sunak answered the questions directly. KS NEVER did. Why? He really does not have a plan. BUT undoubtedly he WIL raise taxes. Then all who voted for him and change will moan for the next 5 years. Starmer and Raynor the dream team :banghead:

He does have a plan but he daren't tell you before he is elected, as it involves hitting the hardworking... :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:16 am

Sven wrote:
Brezza wrote:At least Sunak answered the questions directly. KS NEVER did. Why? He really does not have a plan. BUT undoubtedly he WIL raise taxes. Then all who voted for him and change will moan for the next 5 years. Starmer and Raynor the dream team :banghead:

He does have a plan but he daren't tell you before he is elected, as it involves hitting the hardworking... :ayatollah:

Yes Sven I'm seeing similar posters like this right across the media.

Our age have come cynical with these politicians over the years and I do feel their is an air of change wanted. However, if one happens it will be very false. Not because its the change we don't want but because it will return a Government, Labour landslide, that we definitely don't want.

Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:24 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Sven wrote:

Our age have come cynical with these politicians over the years and I do feel their is an air of change wanted. However, if one happens it will be very false. Not because it’s the change we don't want but because it will return a Government, Labour landslide, that we definitely don't want.

Change needed and wanted but not going to happen when we’re governed by Globalist shills. Off shoring has to stop for a fairer society but Starmer won’t touch it, Sunak is up to his armpits in it, so he’s happy with the status quo. Time for Revolution and public executions. Personally I’d like Johnathan Ashworth topped first, because he boils my piss.

Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:16 am

Jock wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
Sven wrote:

Our age have come cynical with these politicians over the years and I do feel their is an air of change wanted. However, if one happens it will be very false. Not because it’s the change we don't want but because it will return a Government, Labour landslide, that we definitely don't want.

Change needed and wanted but not going to happen when we’re governed by Globalist shills. Off shoring has to stop for a fairer society but Starmer won’t touch it, Sunak is up to his armpits in it, so he’s happy with the status quo. Time for Revolution and public executions. Personally I’d like Johnathan Ashworth topped first, because he boils my piss.

:lol:

Can't see that doing any harm.

Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:30 pm

latest poll Labour 40 Tories 19 Reform 17
Perhaps Sunak should be attacking Farage.
Reform UK is shaking up the general election campaign pulling to within two points behind the Tories in a shocking YouGov poll.

The latest survey conducted just before the ITV debate has put Labour leading the race with 40%, the Tories on 19%, Reform UK on 17%, the Liberal Democrats on 10% and the Greens on 7%.

If that wasn’t enough nightmare for Rishi Sunak, he is being investigated by the UK’s official statistics regulator for his claim that Labour will hike household taxes by £2,000.

Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:46 pm

Leaders use D-Day anniversary to make veterans pledges -

Political leaders are marking the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings by setting out their electoral offer to veterans and members of the armed forces.

The Conservatives say they would cut the cost of a veterans' railcard by a third and keep in place tax breaks for employers of veterans.

Labour has committed to setting up a new commissioner to speak for members of the armed forces.

Commemorations are taking place all week to pay tribute to those who took part in the D-Day landings - the military operation which began the campaign to liberate north-west Europe from Nazi occupation.

Today, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer attended an event in Portsmouth held for the 80th anniversary of the operation.

Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:49 pm

stickywicket wrote:latest poll Labour 40 Tories 19 Reform 17
Reform UK is shaking up the general election campaign pulling to within two points behind the Tories in a shocking YouGov poll.

The latest survey conducted just before the ITV debate has put Labour leading the race with 40%, the Tories on 19%, Reform UK on 17%, the Liberal Democrats on 10% and the Greens on 7%.

If that wasn’t enough nightmare for Rishi Sunak, he is being investigated by the UK’s official statistics regulator for his claim that Labour will hike household taxes by £2,000.

The investigation by the statistics regulator is very much merited and Sunak's "performance" in the debate now pales into pathetic due to him knowingly lying about fabricated figures. Many people will see that as desperation and he should never be believed again.

Some people say that Sunak and Starmer are two cheeks of the same arse. If that's the case then Farage is the arsehole in the middle. Farage is a hateful extreme right winger who has no interest in Clacton, the Reform Party or the UK. The only thing making Farage throw his lot in with Reform is that it gives him the vehicle whereby he can bring about the decimation and humiliation of the Tory Party at the election. This has been his overriding aim in life ever since the Tories expelled him for extremism. Neither he or Reform will win a single seat but he will ensure a landslide victory for Labour at the Tories expense by splitting the Tory vote wherever Reform stands - a Tory vote shared is a Tory vote halved. With no seats but the Tories decimated and job done for Farage; I expect him to declare himself as not electable in the eyes of the UK electorate shortly after the election and to be on the plane back to his mentor Donald Trump shortly thereafter; who unfortunately is a right wing extremist who does have a good chance of power in the USA.

Me - I will just stay loyal to my working class roots on the back of 30 years in coal mining and vote Labour - only choice to me. :old: :old:

Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:07 am

blemmy wrote:

The investigation by the statistics regulator is very much merited and Sunak's "performance" in the debate now pales into pathetic due to him knowingly lying about fabricated figures. Many people will see that as desperation and he should never be believed again.

Some people say that Sunak and Starmer are two cheeks of the same arse. If that's the case then Farage is the arsehole in the middle. Farage is a hateful extreme right winger who has no interest in Clacton, the Reform Party or the UK. The only thing making Farage throw his lot in with Reform is that it gives him the vehicle whereby he can bring about the decimation and humiliation of the Tory Party at the election. This has been his overriding aim in life ever since the Tories expelled him for extremism. Neither he or Reform will win a single seat but he will ensure a landslide victory for Labour at the Tories expense by splitting the Tory vote wherever Reform stands - a Tory vote shared is a Tory vote halved. With no seats but the Tories decimated and job done for Farage; I expect him to declare himself as not electable in the eyes of the UK electorate shortly after the election and to be on the plane back to his mentor Donald Trump shortly thereafter; who unfortunately is a right wing extremist who does have a good chance of power in the USA.

Me - I will just stay loyal to my working class roots on the back of 30 years in coal mining and vote Labour - only choice to me. :old: :old:

Nonsense, reform will take votes off Labour as will the workers party , the election before 2019 the brexit party ie reform now took more votes off Labour than the tories. Reform will win seats this time the momentum is massive for them atm , farage is 10 points up in Clacton already ,

Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:26 am

wez1927 wrote:
blemmy wrote:

Nonsense, reform will take votes off Labour as will the workers party , the election before 2019 the brexit party ie reform now took more votes off Labour than the tories. Reform will win seats this time the momentum is massive for them atm , farage is 10 points up in Clacton already ,

Hmm, lets hope the electorate will hold their nerve this time.