Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Centre Back Partnership

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:37 pm

SO, when all are back from injury and suspension, who would you have as the centre-back pairing?

Personally I would have Gyepes and Hudson.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. Isn't it nice that we are gettin people BACK from inury at this time of the season, rather than having players leaving the squad through injury or simply them being exhausted.

IF we get into the play-offs (I won't accept we are there until is mathematically impossible to not be, after last season) then we may have a full strength, FRESH(ish) squad to choose from...Exciting times!!

Re: Centre Back Partnership

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:50 pm

I'd go with Hudson and Gerrard purely because they seem to know each other game better........but at the end of the day your right its great to have people coming back at this time of the season and it puts us in a great situation. :ayatollah:

Anyone got any stats on the pairings at CB and who how many goals they have conceded per game?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

Its great too have an option for a change.
Dont forget about Blake, he was brilliant there

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Don't get me wrong, Blake has been a beast so far, but even he will be the first to admit his preferred role is in the centre of the park. Which then leads to the question of who plays there? McPhail and Ledley would be first choice I imagine but then we have Blake to come on, Rae and the forgotten man Taiwo!

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:11 pm

The Jackel wrote:Don't get me wrong, Blake has been a beast so far, but even he will be the first to admit his preferred role is in the centre of the park. Which then leads to the question of who plays there? McPhail and Ledley would be first choice I imagine but then we have Blake to come on, Rae and the forgotten man Taiwo!

The only ones there too give Jones a headache is Macca, Ledley and Blake

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Loovens and Johnson :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 pm

i would go with whoever is in form,mostly everyone has stepped up to the plate when called upon,long may it continue,i dont care about names or reputation,whoever is playing well should keep the shirt

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 pm

With these players coming back I just hope they get a few games in to get their sharpness back. Ledley should be back ot his best soon and so will Etuhu after what I saw of him at Forest. Burke is one of those guys who will look like he has never been away. Hudson well its getting close to the play offs. I just hope we qualify soon for them so we can concentrate on getting him back to match sharpness.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:11 pm

I would have King Kev and Gerrard, if Kev's fit. The only time I've felt any confidence at set pieces is when these two played together. While Darcy has played well he's just too short, I would use him at right back.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:20 pm

gup-1 wrote:i would go with whoever is in form,mostly everyone has stepped up to the plate when called upon,long may it continue,i dont care about names or reputation,whoever is playing well should keep the shirt

Here Here :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:05 am

It has to be one of Gyepes or Hudson just so we have some height in the middle. If DJ ever goes with 4-3-3 again to combat Swansea's formation I would like to see Darcy Blake operating in front of the back four, he is a natural for that position.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 am

depends who we were playing.

Swansea/Forest - you need movement and ability to play on the ground
Leicester - If Howard is there an aerial battle

Just be good for DJ to have the selection problem. I trust him to get it right.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:32 am

squashed grapes wrote:depends who we were playing.

Swansea/Forest - you need movement and ability to play on the ground
Leicester - If Howard is there an aerial battle

Just be good for DJ to have the selection problem. I trust him to get it right.

Exactly right, we need to cater for the problems our opponents might cause us. If we're playing against a quick attacking pair then we'll need the pace of Blake and Gerrard but if we're playing against a team with lumbering oafs up front then we need Hudson and Gyepes/ Gerrard. Either way I'd have Gerrard there. I'd probably say Hudson might sneak it but unless he proves his form in training, that shirt is Blake's. I still feel Gyepes has moments of being a liability. He switches off too much for my liking. Great 90% of the time but there's that 10% of Titus Brambleness in his game.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:42 am

I think with Darcy Blake playing a holding role in front of the back four, DJ could have whichever
pairing he liked. Blake is perfect for it. I would then sacrifice McPhail who just doesnt give us
enough in my opinion. He's no tackler, no grafter and doesnt get enough goals. But with Blake
sat in the hole, Ledley and Whittingham will both be free to make late surges into the box.
Particularly Whitts who is in the best goalscoring form of his life.

Whittingham, Burke, Chopra, Bothroyd (and Ledley to an extent) going at the opposition is a
mouth-watering prospect, and with a very clever, technically sound footballer like Darcy Blake
waiting to tidy up behind them in a Makelele like role.....

Is it just me, or should I be the manager?? :lol:

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:45 am

gup-1 wrote:i would go with whoever is in form,mostly everyone has stepped up to the plate when called upon,long may it continue,i dont care about names or reputation,whoever is playing well should keep the shirt

agreed.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 am

taffyapple wrote:I think with Darcy Blake playing a holding role in front of the back four, DJ could have whichever
pairing he liked. Blake is perfect for it. I would then sacrifice McPhail who just doesnt give us
enough in my opinion. He's no tackler, no grafter and doesnt get enough goals. But with Blake
sat in the hole, Ledley and Whittingham will both be free to make late surges into the box.

Whittingham, Burke, Chopra, Bothroyd (and Ledley to an extent) going at the opposition is a
mouth-watering prospect, and with a very clever, technically sound footballer like Darcy Blake

i have just spat my coffee over my keyboard.

Mcphail drop him - mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think you will find our recent run coincides with Mr Mcphail reappearing. He is the only cultured footballer at the club. He keeps possession and is Chopras best asset.

Oh no sir Mcphail starts and probably should be skipper.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:30 am

i would put hudson and gerrard in, with darcy either in midfield or at full back ,he definetley deserves to keep his place in the team :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:42 am

mcphail is our key player without him our clock does not tick,his vision and weight of pass is a class above.he dictates everything good we do.You supplement him by playing a tackler with energy+pace(not RAE).

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:29 pm

The only ones there too give Jones a headache is Macca, Ledley and Blake[/quote]

Dont think Darcy will ever be a Championship center midfield, think he should challenge for center half or full back position, a useful squad member though :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 pm

I think the best pairing could be Hudson and Blake but I wonder if it's a bit late to be trying that out for the first time.

Hudson was playing extremely well before he got injured and gives us the added height that we have missed on corners (both ends) and long balls into the box. Blake is quick enough to make up for any lack of pace and with Super Kev back too that will only help with that side of things.

Whatever his first choice pairing is, DJ needs to give Hudson a few games now, just in case of injuries, etc. between now and the end of the season.

As others have said, nice to have a few options :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Gerard is now first choice for me. Blake possibly, but failing that, Gyepes

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:01 pm

squashed grapes wrote:
taffyapple wrote:I think with Darcy Blake playing a holding role in front of the back four, DJ could have whichever

i have just spat my coffee over my keyboard.

Mcphail drop him - mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think you will find our recent run coincides with Mr Mcphail reappearing. He is the only cultured footballer at the club. He keeps possession and is Chopras best asset.

Oh no sir Mcphail starts and probably should be skipper.

You telling me I'm sacked? :x

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Blake has been fantastic filling in at centre back - however I do feel he lacks a bit of height for that position.

With Rae out for the season Blakey will have a part to play in midfield from here on in! :P

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:40 pm

[quote="gup-1"]mcphail is our key player without him our clock does not tick,his vision and weight of pass is a class above.he dictates everything good we do.You supplement him by playing a tackler with energy+pace(not RAE).[/

spot on totally agree mate .