CB: Gerrad
LB: Kennedy

left midfield: Whitts
attacking midfield: McPhail
defensive midfield: Blake
right midfield: Ledley

centre forward: Bothroyd
inside forward: Chopra

Basically i've dropped the out of form Burke, pushed Blake into a defensive midfield role, pushed Ledley out wide and brought Gerrad into the centre half spot.

Why? Because Blackpool's main threat to us will come from them running at us in midfield. However, as we saw against Middlesborough, Blake is superb in destroying the opposition in midifeld. This formation would also mean we would have two proper centre halves in place, and still plenty of creativity further up the field. Go on DJ, give us a strong spine down the middle, lets not allow the Blackpool midield to get on top.

Re: Our strongest formation would look like this:

Mon May 17, 2010 10:53 pm

I would be surprised to see if Jones does this.

I think Blake may be on the bench if Gerrard is fit.

Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 pm

bwoodblue wrote:I would be surprised to see if Jones does this.

I think Blake may be on the bench if Gerrard is fit.

I agree with you - DJ is reluctant to change things around. I just think given Blackpool's strong central midield we need to break up their play a bit and Blake is just the man for the job. Besides if we're chasing the game we can always bring the half fit Burke on for the last 20 mins or so.

Tue May 18, 2010 6:31 am

Ninianboy I agree. Blake must play in my opinion, or we will get over run in the middle of the park. :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 8:27 am

Unlike Leicester who hit the ball into our box with great effect from both set piece and open play, Blackpool will try to pass their way through the middle of the park.

We need someone to disrupt them before they reach our centre halves and the best man to do that is Blake.

Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am

:lol:

i genuinely think you'd rather blake play dm on saturday than see cardiff win

it's great to see darcy proving he's an asset but boro apart he was shite in the middle

Tue May 18, 2010 9:32 am

Saturday is not the time to stick Darcy in the middle. Don't see him as a midfielder no more but is a very good centre back. No changes for Saturday needed

Tue May 18, 2010 9:40 am

bluebirdtom wrote::lol:

i genuinely think you'd rather blake play dm on saturday than see cardiff win

it's great to see darcy proving he's an asset but boro apart he was shite in the middle

Wasn't he MOTM while playing in midfield against Bristol City too?

Tue May 18, 2010 9:42 am

blooobirds wrote:Saturday is not the time to stick Darcy in the middle. Don't see him as a midfielder no more but is a very good centre back. No changes for Saturday needed

Burke is looking below par at the moment, Gerrad is back fit and we know that Blackpool like to pass it through the middle, so an ideal time to tweak the side IMHO.

Blake is ideally equiped to destroy the opposition's midifield creativity.