Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Famous Relatives

Tue May 18, 2010 8:18 am

Anyone have any famous relatives they know of?

I found out yesterday that Eddie Thomas, Welsh boxer from Merthyr who won european welterweight title, is my 3rd cousin :ayatollah:

You might have seen a statue of him in Merthyr: http://www.aberdareblog.co.uk/wp-conten ... thyr-1.jpg

Can't believe it, wish I had a chance to meet him!

Re: Famous Relatives

Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 am

No one that famous...

My mums cousin was married to a footballer from Cyprus who played for Wrexham... can't remember the name..

Uncle has played for Wales in zee rugby and captained the Wales B team

Thats it

Tue May 18, 2010 8:29 am

baker wrote:Anyone have any famous relatives they know of?

I found out yesterday that Eddie Thomas, Welsh boxer from Merthyr who won european welterweight title, is my 3rd cousin :ayatollah:

You might have seen a statue of him in Merthyr: http://www.aberdareblog.co.uk/wp-conten ... thyr-1.jpg

Prove it. That is all

Tue May 18, 2010 8:36 am

Bigbluebird wrote:

Prove it. That is all

Okay.. I'll get my grandmother who told me to sign up on this forum and to tell you..?

Tue May 18, 2010 8:41 am

baker wrote:
Bigbluebird wrote:

Prove it. That is all

Okay.. I'll get my grandmother who told me to sign up on this forum and to tell you..?

Cheers. Make sure she goes on the introduction thread first mind.. :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 10:53 am

burt millichip, ex chairman of the FA :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 11:01 am

1 of my Mother's Uncles played football for Portsmouth and Wales back in the 1950's ............... not sure of his 1st name but his surname is Cook ! :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 11:26 am

My Second Cousin rode in the 1973 Grand National, leading Red Rum at one stage...

...before the obilitary fall :lol:

Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 am

Martyn1963 wrote:1 of my Mother's Uncles played football for Portsmouth and Wales back in the 1950's ............... not sure of his 1st name but his surname is Cook ! :ayatollah:

That must be Frederick [fred] Cook, born Aberdare 1902, died Leicester 1966. A favorite at fratton park, he played for Pompey for seven seasons. He was dubbed 'little Cookie' by Pompey fans & was judged the best player in the 1929 FA cup final v Bolton.
He won eight caps for Wales, [1925-1932]. During the WW2 he served in the RAF as a p.t. instructer.

Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am

Baker, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a third cousin! That alone has made this thread worthwhile because I have learnt something new!

Tue May 18, 2010 11:41 am

Zabier wrote:Baker, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a third cousin! That alone has made this thread worthwhile because I have learnt something new!

Course there is!

That means he was my great grandmother's cousin :lol:
All of our family is close though, my grandmother says that when I was a toddler (2) in 1994 I went to visit Eddie who was mayor of Merthyr at this time, 3 years before his death. Obviously I can't remember, just gutted I couldn't have met him later on in my life!

Tue May 18, 2010 11:53 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
Martyn1963 wrote:1 of my Mother's Uncles played football for Portsmouth and Wales back in the 1950's ............... not sure of his 1st name but his surname is Cook ! :ayatollah:

That must be Frederick [fred] Cook, born Aberdare 1902, died Leicester 1966. A favorite at fratton park, he played for Pompey for seven seasons. He was dubbed 'little Cookie' by Pompey fans & was judged the best player in the 1929 FA cup final v Bolton.
He won eight caps for Wales, [1925-1932]. During the WW2 he served in the RAF as a p.t. instructer.

thats the very man yeah , didnt think it was that long ago tho . Maybe he was my Gran's uncle then rather than my Mam's ?

Tue May 18, 2010 11:59 am

Billy Liar is my Dad :old:

Tue May 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Johnathon Owen (the cardiff fan) is my dads cousin :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 12:09 pm

baker wrote:
Zabier wrote:Baker, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a third cousin! That alone has made this thread worthwhile because I have learnt something new!

Course there is!

That means he was my great grandmother's cousin :lol:
All of our family is close though, my grandmother says that when I was a toddler (2) in 1994 I went to visit Eddie who was mayor of Merthyr at this time, 3 years before his death. Obviously I can't remember, just gutted I couldn't have met him later on in my life!

Has your Grandmother signed up yet ? :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 2:17 pm

my grand father played for pontypool utd for years, also played the all blacks.