Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Trust AGM last night -------- any feedback ?

Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 am

Anyone heared how things went last night ? :ayatollah:

Re: Trust AGM last night -------- any feedback ?

Tue May 18, 2010 9:02 am

yer they talked and talked and talked, then they went home, pointless :lol:

Tue May 18, 2010 9:05 am

Martyn1963 wrote:Anyone heared how things went last night ? :ayatollah:

Martyn Just had this PM off Mike Roderick

Hi Tony,

Good meeting last night but very poorly attended (only just had a enough for a quorum). Under AOB, I gave your apologies as that was the only opportunity to do so. There was a good discussion about sub-groups and appeals for people to get involved. At the moment the only recognised sub-groups are the Community and Fred Keenor groups but there was a widespread recognition that we need at least 2 more - Membership and Communication.

We will have a Board meeting next week (probably Tuesday) when we will set the new groups up and define their scope. I'll let you know the meeting details and if you're available to come, please do so.

Mike

Tue May 18, 2010 9:11 am

Membership and communication seems key to the future of the Trust as good and viable communications will lead to better or retained memberships , lets just hope that Mike can sort of sum up and take on board and put to the Trust board the feelings of the fans and try and get some direction or aims of the Trust . Otherwise memberships will dwindle and more and more individuals will ctiticise the purpose of the the Trust , as a member I am still unsure of the exact aim or purpose of what they are trying to achieve but I will support and NOT slag off ! :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 am

Martyn1963 wrote:Membership and communication seems key to the future of the Trust as good and viable communications will lead to better or retained memberships , lets just hope that Mike can sort of sum up and take on board and put to the Trust board the feelings of the fans and try and get some direction or aims of the Trust . Otherwise memberships will dwindle and more and more individuals will ctiticise the purpose of the the Trust , as a member I am still unsure of the exact aim or purpose of what they are trying to achieve but I will support and NOT slag off ! :ayatollah:

Very much my feelings Martyn. I think the Trust has been given a lot of good faith in the past which frankly it doesn't deserve. There also needs to be a new outlook by the Trust Board that every member counts and that Judgemental attitudes are a thing of the past. I personally want to see an end of the animosity some of the TB have towards members of this message board.

The arguements about Annis successful (and fatally damaging to Ridsdale) protest march are now history, but the lessons learn't are not. In future the Trust should get closer to it's membership and listen to what they want and not the what the club chairman wants as has happened recently.

I think the membership and patrons of this message board in particular have more than done enough to co-operate with the Trust and give it a leap of faith, it is now up to them to move closer towards us.

Tue May 18, 2010 10:26 am

Communication is key. As it is in football. The Trust need to take a new approach and start listening to the fans, not guiding them. If they can start to do that, which from what I've heard they are, then they can still be a positive group.

Tue May 18, 2010 10:33 am

Zabier wrote:Communication is key. As it is in football. The Trust need to take a new approach and start listening to the fans, not guiding them. If they can start to do that, which from what I've heard they are, then they can still be a positive group.

they cannot spread their gospel by basing every meeting in the duke of clarence in cardiff.
they need to promote and then publicise meetings in other area's.
take a look at their database of membership and hold meetings where there are significant numbers of members based.
hold meetings in different places on a rota basis so people can get used to knowing where and when the meeting comes to their area.

Tue May 18, 2010 11:50 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Martyn1963 wrote:Membership and communication seems key to the future of the Trust as good and viable communications will lead to better or retained memberships , lets just hope that Mike can sort of sum up and take on board and put to the Trust board the feelings of the fans and try and get some direction or aims of the Trust . Otherwise memberships will dwindle and more and more individuals will ctiticise the purpose of the the Trust , as a member I am still unsure of the exact aim or purpose of what they are trying to achieve but I will support and NOT slag off ! :ayatollah:

Very much my feelings Martyn. I think the Trust has been given a lot of good faith in the past which frankly it doesn't deserve. There also needs to be a new outlook by the Trust Board that every member counts and that Judgemental attitudes are a thing of the past. I personally want to see an end of the animosity some of the TB have towards members of this message board.

The arguements about Annis successful (and fatally damaging to Ridsdale) protest march are now history, but the lessons learn't are not. In future the Trust should get closer to it's membership and listen to what they want and not the what the club chairman wants as has happened recently.

I think the membership and patrons of this message board in particular have more than done enough to co-operate with the Trust and give it a leap of faith, it is now up to them to move closer towards us.

hi Tony,

just wondering on what facts this statement is based?

Tue May 18, 2010 1:23 pm

Llanishen wrote:

hi Tony,

I'd say Ridsdale's demeanour afterwards and indeed in the weeks after showed it was a success.

What facts to the contrary would you be able to give?

Tue May 18, 2010 1:41 pm

you say " the Trust " never backed the march , well maybe the Trust committee didnt but Im a Trust member and I marched . Judging by the lack of support for the Trust elections based on the figures who may have voted it wouldnt have made cock all difference to the numbers anyway , Trust members who wanted to march did and those that didnt just didnt . Infact compared to an attendance of over 26,000 last weds then quite a lot of people didnt march . :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Llanishen wrote:

hi Tony,

Hi Llanishen

The facts are that over 2,000 fans attended the march which is twice the size of the present membership of the Trust. Also the March received praise from both Steve Borley and TG which is significant considering its obvious message via the banners/effigies was to remove the present Chairman.

There is circumstantial evidence contained in at least 2 WalesOnLine articles (one by Terry Phillips Ridsdale's right-hand man) which stated that Ridsdale was quitting because of the pressure exerted by supporters through a combination of Emails/texts and the protest march which left his position untenable.

I accept that there is much more such as Ridsdale's own incompetence and the Malaysian determination to get rid of him, but I think it is well within reason to state that the protest march was a success.

I have never bought into the idea that the march was a failure because ‘only’ 2,000 of the 20,000 attendance against Middlesbrough took part. Indeed when you do the real maths nearly 12% of the attendance took part (because 2-3,000 season ticket holders fail to attend every home game) which is an incredible effort for the first attempt.

Finally IMO it is absolutely wrong to assume that the remaining 15,000 fans (many of whom are children) are all pro-Ridsdale because they did-not attend. If there was that level of support for Ridsdale then by now it would be reasonable to assume they would have organised their own counter-march.

It’s all about opinions but that’s mine.

Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:you say " the Trust " never backed the march , well maybe the Trust committee didnt but Im a Trust member and I marched . Judging by the lack of support for the Trust elections based on the figures who may have voted it wouldnt have made cock all difference to the numbers anyway , Trust members who wanted to march did and those that didnt just didnt . Infact compared to an attendance of over 26,000 last weds then quite a lot of people didnt march . :ayatollah:

these are ridiculous arguments about figure's now martyn.
people will counter that more than three times the trust membership marched.
the one thing that is certain as far as i am concerned is that the trust would never flourish while ridsdale was still calling the tune at the club.
Any show of dissention against the riddler and the trust would have been out of the stadium like a shot just the same as he removed annis's books from the club shop.
i think the trust should be given 12 months from when the riddler leaves to establish themselves with fans and the new shareholders and then people can form an unbiased opinion.

Tue May 18, 2010 1:57 pm

my point is that I dont think at present the Trust anyway influences most CCFC fans either way and I agree with you that time must be given to see if any changes are indeed made on the back of Riddler's departure :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 2:01 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:my point is that I dont think at present the Trust anyway influences most CCFC fans either way and I agree with you that time must be given to see if any changes are indeed made on the back of Riddler's departure :ayatollah:

Thank God, that's how I read you orginal post and I was worried I got it all wrong. :lol:

Yes good point Martyn, after all the play the Trust made of 'only 2k out of 20k' it came back to bite them on the arse with the recent elections which would have passed off almost unnoticed if it wasn't the debates on here.

Tue May 18, 2010 2:09 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:my point is that I dont think at present the Trust anyway influences most CCFC fans either way and I agree with you that time must be given to see if any changes are indeed made on the back of Riddler's departure :ayatollah:

Thank God, that's how I read you orginal post and I was worried I got it all wrong. :lol:

Yes good point Martyn, after all the play the Trust made of 'only 2k out of 20k' it came back to bite them on the arse with the recent elections which would have passed off almost unnoticed if it wasn't the debates on here.

what I will say is tho dont underestimate fan power because the march was organized by this forums members who spread the word and over 2,000 protested on the day , but I do think also that they are 1 or 2 strong minded indivudals amongst our supporters who are too happy to knock and dig and snipe at each other as Annis points out on here . Its all well and good to have a pop at the Trust or Mike's MB off the back of 1 or 2 personal issues just as they do toward this forum aswell ........ Im just going to give it time to see what pans out when Riddler goes ! :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Completely agree. The club was in serious danger of going out of existence and the Trust just had meetings to decide if a meeting should take place. It semed to most people that they didn't want to upset their new chums Flitcroft and Riddler who gave them lovely biscuits at their meetings where they beleived everything they were told - tax bill was okay etc, etc.
The only message coming out from them was lets wait and see. Well that's a good strategy EXCEPT when the club is in melt down. It's no good saying after the fact, okay you were right.
When people joined the trust they thought they were going to scutinise and make sure everything was being run okay. Rightly or wrongly I don't think that's what people believe they got.

Tue May 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Good post Outsider, Those points are some of the reasons why I dont believe in or back the Trust, other than of course, they hardly Represent anyone.

Tue May 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Good post Outsider, Those points are some of the reasons why I dont believe in or back the Trust, other than of course, they hardly Represent anyone.

Annis, as you'll know what Flitcroft and Riddler did was the old trade union trick. The bosses get the union leader in regular meetings and they butter him up and make him feel special. That way he's not going to give them any trouble and when one his members goes to him with a problem he just plays it down and doesn't take any action.

What the club needed to save it from going out of existance was direct firm action NOT talking about meetings and more meetings. Left to the Trust we wouldn't be talking about Wembley now, we'd be talking about whether the FA would let our new club - AFC Cardiff back in to the English system. Some might not like that, but it's a fact.

Tue May 18, 2010 3:13 pm

TheOutsider wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Good post Outsider, Those points are some of the reasons why I dont believe in or back the Trust, other than of course, they hardly Represent anyone.

Annis, as you'll know what Flitcroft and Riddler did was the old trade union trick. The bosses get the union leader in regular meetings and they butter him up and make him feel special. That way he's not going to give them any trouble and when one his members goes to him with a problem he just plays it down and doesn't take any action.

What the club needed to save it from going out of existance was direct firm action NOT talking about meetings and more meetings. Left to the Trust we wouldn't be talking about Wembley now, we'd be talking about whether the FA would let our new club - AFC Cardiff back in to the English system. Some might not like that, but it's a fact.

More good points Outsider and I Totally Agree :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue May 18, 2010 4:59 pm

steve davies wrote:
Zabier wrote:Communication is key. As it is in football. The Trust need to take a new approach and start listening to the fans, not guiding them. If they can start to do that, which from what I've heard they are, then they can still be a positive group.

they cannot spread their gospel by basing every meeting in the duke of clarence in cardiff.
they need to promote and then publicise meetings in other area's.
take a look at their database of membership and hold meetings where there are significant numbers of members based.
hold meetings in different places on a rota basis so people can get used to knowing where and when the meeting comes to their area.

You are quite right about having the same venue all the time not being good.

But several times the Trust has offered to hold meetings , or events such as a quiz or race night,in other venues such as Pontypridd to make it easier for supporters in the Valleys to attend.No-one has taken up that offer with a suggested venue , type of event or date until recently when we had a great meeting with the Maesteg branch of the Supporters Club.A brilliant group of fans who have about 300 members and who organise trips to home and away games and who have just celebrated their 50th year as an organisation.

As a Trust we know we have to do this better and I know it is a matter which will be championed by Mike Roderick as a newly elected board member.Hopefully he can help push through plans to have meetings in places such as Pontypridd and London to reach out to more fans.

Tue May 18, 2010 5:04 pm

keith, thats a good idea, pontypridd rhondda merthyr , there are hundreds of city supporters up here, its up here you need the marketing to work, to increase trust membership

i can arrange a room if you require it, but its got to be advertised better

baz

Tue May 18, 2010 5:18 pm

I agree that a group from the Trust getting communications sorted is essential and hopefully this is something you can contribute to with Mike who will certainly champion it.

Not sure I agree with 2 of the points you raise , but more than happy to discuss them with you.

Firstly , I really don`t think that , in general , patrons of this message board have done much to co-operate with the Trust at all. It has been more the attitude that Annis` approach and the Trust`s are somehow in conflict (and therefore you are not allowed to agree to any extent with both) rather than two different approaches with the same ultimate aim - to see the football club move forward under proper management. I don`t think the "us and them" approach has been at all helpful - we can all agree to differ (Annis and I do all the time as to the best way to go about things, but we still listen to each others` opinions).

Secondly , I am not aware of any of the Trust board having animosity towards members of this forum. Personally , I log in here to join in the debate and to try and take on board criticism which will help improve the Trust (not trying to creep here , but some of your valid suggestions are included in that).
I only have a go at anyone on here (or any other board for that matter) who post ridiculous things that should never see the light of day.An example was a poster calling himself Ben who actually put on a post wishing someone to die in a car crash - not something to be proud of on this or any other message board.He happened to post it on here , but I would have been equally disgusted if he had posted it on Mike`s board or antwhere else.

Keith

Tue May 18, 2010 5:23 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:keith, thats a good idea, pontypridd rhondda merthyr , there are hundreds of city supporters up here, its up here you need the marketing to work, to increase trust membership

i can arrange a room if you require it, but its got to be advertised better

baz

Baz

Thanks for that.

Pontypridd was suggested as a good venue as it is relatively easy to get down to from all the Valleys or on the way home for those who work in the Cardiff or Newport areas. To get to somewhere like Aberdare (where a room in the rugby club has been offered in the past) from other valleys is not so easy.

Give me a couple of suggested dates and a venue and I will promise to start organising it at the next Trust board meeting which is next Tuesday.

Keith

Tue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm

any dates can be sorted, but the trust needs to target the supporters up here to make them interested i for one will attend, how do you think you could target and advertise a meeting up here???

Tue May 18, 2010 6:00 pm

Llanishen wrote:

hi Tony,

Hi Llanishen

The facts are that over 2,000 fans attended the march which is twice the size of the present membership of the Trust. Also the March received praise from both Steve Borley and TG which is significant considering its obvious message via the banners/effigies was to remove the present Chairman.

There is circumstantial evidence contained in at least 2 WalesOnLine articles (one by Terry Phillips Ridsdale's right-hand man) which stated that Ridsdale was quitting because of the pressure exerted by supporters through a combination of Emails/texts and the protest march which left his position untenable.

I accept that there is much more such as Ridsdale's own incompetence and the Malaysian determination to get rid of him, but I think it is well within reason to state that the protest march was a success.

I have never bought into the idea that the march was a failure because ‘only’ 2,000 of the 20,000 attendance against Middlesbrough took part. Indeed when you do the real maths nearly 12% of the attendance took part (because 2-3,000 season ticket holders fail to attend every home game) which is an incredible effort for the first attempt.

Finally IMO it is absolutely wrong to assume that the remaining 15,000 fans (many of whom are children) are all pro-Ridsdale because they did-not attend. If there was that level of support for Ridsdale then by now it would be reasonable to assume they would have organised their own counter-march.

It’s all about opinions but that’s mine.

Thank you Tony for the quantified reply,

Though I was suprised at the use of the words "fataly damaging" with regard to the march on risdales tenure. I feel the malaysians delt the fatal blows and that people on this board seriously over estimated the effects of a march by disgruntled supporters and appear to be slapping each other on the back in congratulations for riddlers downfall. I dont critisise the march at all but I have serious doubts about the "claimed" effects and also feel that this board are constantly criticising the Trust without giving it time or without suggesting feasible alternatives. This board just think its their (minority) way or no way, you only have to look at the posts from people such as eddie may and ben to confirm this observation. Sorry don't agree with you on the fact that this message board has done more than is expected to assist the trust, it appears that certain members on this board are intent on discrediting the trust at all costs,

Cheers

Llanishen

Tue May 18, 2010 6:12 pm

I think the membership and patrons of this message board in particular have more than done enough to co-operate with the Trust and give it a leap of faith, it is now up to them to move closer towards us.[/quote]

hi Tony,

just wondering on what facts this statement is based?[/quote]

Hi Llanishen

It’s all about opinions but that’s mine.[/quote]

Thank you Tony for the quantified reply,

Though I was suprised at the use of the words "fataly damaging" with regard to the march on risdales tenure. I feel the malaysians delt the fatal blows and that people on this board seriously over estimated the effects of a march by disgruntled supporters and appear to be slapping each other on the back in congratulations for riddlers downfall. I dont critisise the march at all but I have serious doubts about the "claimed" effects and also feel that this board are constantly criticising the Trust without giving it time or without suggesting feasible alternatives. This board just think its their (minority) way or no way, you only have to look at the posts from people such as eddie may and ben to confirm this observation. Sorry don't agree with you on the fact that this message board has done more than is expected to assist the trust, it appears that certain members on this board are intent on discrediting the trust at all costs,

Cheers

Llanishen[/quote]

Whilst Tony's selected words may be exagerated , at least the people who marched did something. Maybe it helped pressure PR so that when others wanted him out he realised his allies were few and far. The march was certainly better than doing nothing. I had misgivings about the way the club was being run and it gave me an opportunity to air them.
As for anti-Trust views on here , then I would agree that some peoples opinions are against the Trust , but surely they are entitled to their view ? I personally am going to stay a member and give it chance to prove itself - I do think it can be a good thing but needs to represent supporters more. If I think the Trust has failed I will not renew my membership and air my views.