Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Anyone installed artificial grass before??

Mon May 26, 2014 7:22 am

Just wondering how to fix it down to a soil/sand base? On the internet ibe seen some people use a timber around the perimeter and some even just use like U shaped pegs. Is the latter strong enough to stop it moving??? Ive levelled the ground and put a sand top base over and a weedkiller sheet. Cheers for any info.

Re: Anyone installed artificial grass before??

Mon May 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Going to be putting this down myself in a fortnights time, just started clearing the garden today. From what I've read if its on an incline to use a timber frame to nail it to, if its level you can just lay it over the sand. I'm guessing that if its a fair size the weight of it, plus with the sand brushed in on top, should keep it in place.

Mon May 26, 2014 2:48 pm

You both on the right track, you do need to fit a wooden frame to secure it and pull tight. B&Q treated wood.

I laid mine about month ago, best thing I have done

Mon May 26, 2014 3:01 pm

I was thinking of getting the same any recommendations for suppliers,

Mon May 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks for answers. I bought mine from www.grass-direct.co.uk cheap prices and plenty of choice.

Mon May 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Trying to upload photo and its saying file invalid???

Mon May 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Wop wrote:Thanks for answers. I bought mine from http://www.grass-direct.co.uk cheap prices and plenty of choice.

This is where I got mine from, spot on 10/10 :thumbright:

The cheapest around

Mon May 26, 2014 8:35 pm

You can also buy it from castle carpets in Caerphilly :thumbup:

Mon May 26, 2014 9:14 pm

Can you lay this artificial grass stuff on concrete?

Mon May 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Ive been putting it over the decking for past couple winters. Stops it getting slippery and seems to keep the decking in good nick

Tue May 27, 2014 4:49 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Can you lay this artificial grass stuff on concrete?

You sure can fella. Some people just put it down loose or use an adhesive to stick it around the edging.

Tue May 27, 2014 7:05 pm

One we finished a few months ago.

Build a 4x2 treated frame, 4" of scalps,1" of sharp sand screeded off and whacked then grass fixed down with clouts.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x48 ... /0adk9.jpg

Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Nice job mate fair play. I was wondering just to use clout nails instead of those U pins you can get.

Tue May 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Wop wrote:Nice job mate fair play. I was wondering just to use clout nails instead of those U pins you can get.

Clouts are fine just don't scrimp on the timber.Some say baton is fine but we won't use it.We always use 4x2 which is concreted in place.

Good luck. :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:46 am

My neighbor just had his front lawn done withartificial grass , which was around 30sq metres and £2000 one days work. He's seriously thinking of having the back done but limited access will push the cost up. I'm definitely looking at having my front lawn done, The only difference in appearance between his artificial lawn and the real ones in the street is that he looks better.

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:18 pm

It used to look terrible, but I've seen a few recently that look pretty decent, I suppose it's like everything else you get what you pay for?

Don't you think it will go out of fashion in a few years, the stone cladding of the future?

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:30 pm

Bluebina wrote:It used to look terrible, but I've seen a few recently that look pretty decent, I suppose it's like everything else you get what you pay for?

Don't you think it will go out of fashion in a few years, the stone cladding of the future?

Not really a good phrase, it's nothing like stone cladding, what I was trying to say is do you think it will be a long term solution, or just a short term trend. I was dead against it at first, but can see the benefits if it lasts the test of time, some look pretty realistic?

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Mines only fixed at one end but it is only one piece and not had a problem in the 2 years it has been down. Bought it from Castle Carpets in Caerphilly which is a good place to view the different varieties. Avoided the cheap stuff which was too thin and some that looked like it would be more at home on a greengrocers counter. As it is guaranteed for 9 years I felt the extra was worthwhile. If laying on concrete you may want to add underlay

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:00 pm

Cardiffcitymad wrote:You can also buy it from castle carpets in Caerphilly :thumbup:

Good to see you posting! Where you been all this time...? :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:07 pm

This was when we put the grass down, we put chippings each side (Haven’t for current photo on my phone) of it then to finish just because biggest roll was 4metres wide so we had to improvise rather than buy another roll .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.