Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CCFC - Captaincy

Sun May 23, 2010 9:17 pm

This season i have seen Bothroyd, McPhail, Ledley, Hudson all be come captain at some point - surely swapping and changing all the time can't be very settling for the players? especially when all 4 of the above players are always prone to injuries?

Who do you think would be the perfect Captain.
I still stick with Ledley, as his record was second to none when it came to results after 90 mins!! Is maturing, and being a Cardiff lad, has the heart to drive the team on. Probably not as experiences as McPhail but referring back to the fact that we never lost under Joe as captain - has to be taken into consideration?

Maybe Hudson's performances and attributes are not entirely correct or helpful to be relyed upon to carry out captaincy duties?
and his performances over the WHOLE season have been nothing short of average.

Re: CCFC - Captaincy

Sun May 23, 2010 9:18 pm

ledley/mcphail would be my choice :ayatollah:

Sun May 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Ledley should have kept the captains armband. Just because he did not sign his contract that was no reason to demote him. Another DJ cock up. DJ out.

Sun May 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Ledley was a poor captain.

He's not a leader, he's also nowhere near vocal enough on the pitch.

Sun May 23, 2010 9:29 pm

nerd wrote:Ledley was a poor captain.

He's a young, learning player. You can not avoid the fact that He led the team to victory almost every time he was captain. Maybe he's not quite a leader yet, but it's home grown players like this that do go on to be succesful captains.

Unfortunately - it looks like he could be on his way......

So lets hear who you think should be captain? Back to McPhail if you ask me ?

Sun May 23, 2010 9:30 pm

we need a new centre back and a new midfield genral ..and that person should be made captain

if not , give it to gerrard

a good player but a hothead

give him the armband and he will mellow out but still have that edge

Sun May 23, 2010 9:30 pm

I think to much is made of the captains role on the pitch myself, I mean some like Gerrard for shouting a lot but he doesnt that anyway and i doubt anyone listens to him captain or not. I think its more important how they are off the pitch, how they bring the lads together and how they are respected. Hard for me to judge as im not in the squad but from the outside McPhail seems to have that and would be my choice.

Ledley was rightly removed as captain with his future in doubt but im not sure why McPhail wasnt reinstated. Hudson has been captain at his last 3 clubs so im guessing he is doing it right off the pitch rather than on it

Sun May 23, 2010 9:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I think to much is made of the captains role on the pitch myself, I mean some like Gerrard for shouting a lot but he doesnt that anyway and i doubt anyone listens to him captain or not. I think its more important how they are off the pitch, how they bring the lads together and how they are respected. Hard for me to judge as im not in the squad but from the outside McPhail seems to have that and would be my choice.

Ledley was rightly removed as captain with his future in doubt but im not sure why McPhail wasnt reinstated. Hudson has been captain at his last 3 clubs so im guessing he is doing it right off the pitch rather than on it

Some one who performs 1 in 10 games is not deserving of captaincy.

JOHN TERRY, STEVEN GERRARD, CESC FABREGAS, LEDLEY KING, RYAN GIGGS, DAVID JAMES, could go on forever but all are highly respected players who perform on a consistant basis!

Sun May 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Do you think we would have won if someone else had the arm band on? I dont (unless it was because Hudson wasnt playing)

Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Do you think we would have won if someone else had the arm band on? I dont (unless it was because Hudson wasnt playing)

That isn't my point - I wasnt at any point referring to yesterdays performance by the team. read my 1st post. ;)

Sun May 23, 2010 11:15 pm

if he stays. on yesterdays performance chopra!

Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Merlin wrote:
nerd wrote:Ledley was a poor captain.

He's a young, learning player. You can not avoid the fact that He led the team to victory almost every time he was captain. Maybe he's not quite a leader yet, but it's home grown players like this that do go on to be succesful captains.

Unfortunately - it looks like he could be on his way......

So lets hear who you think should be captain? Back to McPhail if you ask me ?

You also can't avoid the fact during those games, when the team needed motivating, Ledley often had his head bowed staring at the turf - other players were geeing each other up.

I'd say McPhail is a good shout. Only other real candidates I can think of are Chops and Gerrard - but both can lose their cool easily.

Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 am

If he stays then no doubt about it - Gerrard for me. If Jones stays I think he will be sold, if Jones goes he may well stay. You may think I am daft watch out for a sneaky bid from Liverpool for him.

Mon May 24, 2010 9:49 am

Gerrard for me.

I was disappointed although not surprised that he didn't start on Saturday.

He's a commanding figure, and always talking, screaming.

Two minutes he was on the park and he put someone in the air. It should have been done in the first 5 minutes, not the last 15.

I think he'll stay regardless of DJ going or staying and he should be his captain for the season ahead.

I think Joe being stripped of it don e him a massive favour. Him and McPhail have been much better of late, and that could be to do with less pressure

Mon May 24, 2010 9:57 am

gerrard fo me.hudson's just a waste of space

Mon May 24, 2010 9:58 am

evans wrote:gerrard fo me.hudson's just a waste of space

wasnt Gerrard the Walsall captain ? :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2010 10:03 am

cefnblue wrote:if he stays. on yesterdays performance chopra!

I'm with you on that :ayatollah: Shows passion, workrate and desire and commands respect as a result :ayatollah:

He may be on the highest wage but he certainly earnt that money on Saturday and in the play-off semis. Big games need big players and he was immense.

Mon May 24, 2010 10:08 am

piledriver64 wrote:
cefnblue wrote:if he stays. on yesterdays performance chopra!

I'm with you on that :ayatollah: Shows passion, workrate and desire and commands respect as a result :ayatollah:

He may be on the highest wage but he certainly earnt that money on Saturday and in the play-off semis. Big games need big players and he was immense.

I don't think he is captain material.

His workrate is top notch but I think he's too much of a moaner at times and doesn't need the pressure that come with the armband, he goes too long without scoring and that is enough pressure for him as it is, IMO.

Mon May 24, 2010 5:34 pm

I know what you mean but we won't know until we try it out. He may actually thrive on the added responsibility.