Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE REASON WE WERE QUIET

Mon May 24, 2010 10:55 am

No doubt about it was the pressure and tension, to us it was life or death or just about. The majority of our fans present were in the main every week attenders or at the least regular attenders in the main.

Blackpool however with their 8,000 home crowds attracted a lot of people out for a good day and a party, losing to them would not have been that devastating, and I'm not saying that to belittle them, if anything, it shows how good Holloway has done with the little resources available, and all credit to their regular hard core 8,000 fans for sticking with it.

The pressure was on us to acheive,we finished higher, we have an almost premiership wage bill, a huge fan base and far more media exposure and the pressure of literally a nation (except for the 12,000 Jacks).

I for one was devastated, but also relieved it was finally over, of course i wanted us to win, but I also wanted to have the pressure taken off, and to be able to sleep nights. I was still feeling wrecked after the Leicester home game, I genuinely don't think I'm cut out to be a Cardiff fan, at times it can be hell,is it a curse or a blessing, either way I'm stuck with it as are most of you. Let's all rally around keep each other strong and get ready for the next one.

Re: THE REASON WE WERE QUIET

Mon May 24, 2010 10:57 am

well said gwyn :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2010 10:58 am

I totally agree Gwyn. I was clapping and chanting whenever it started but other than that I was just sat their with my hands over my mouth with my leg shaking up and down in a nervous twitch. Also, our main groups of singers were spread out more than usual I found.

Mon May 24, 2010 11:02 am

Good shout Gwyn, & just how i feel aswell. :( After there second goal we were totaly subdued.

Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 am

Top post Gwyn :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Spot on Gwyn!! totally summed it up. No way you could enjoy yourself watching too much riding on it!!

KEEP THE FAITH!!! :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2010 12:29 pm

BigGwynram wrote:No doubt about it was the pressure and tension, to us it was life or death or just about. The majority of our fans present were in the main every week attenders or at the least regular attenders in the main.

Blackpool however with their 8,000 home crowds attracted a lot of people out for a good day and a party, losing to them would not have been that devastating, and I'm not saying that to belittle them, if anything, it shows how good Holloway has done with the little resources available, and all credit to their regular hard core 8,000 fans for sticking with it.

The pressure was on us to acheive,we finished higher, we have an almost premiership wage bill, a huge fan base and far more media exposure and the pressure of literally a nation (except for the 12,000 Jacks).

I for one was devastated, but also relieved it was finally over, of course i wanted us to win, but I also wanted to have the pressure taken off, and to be able to sleep nights. I was still feeling wrecked after the Leicester home game, I genuinely don't think I'm cut out to be a Cardiff fan, at times it can be hell,is it a curse or a blessing, either way I'm stuck with it as are most of you. Let's all rally around keep each other strong and get ready for the next one.

Well it has to be that because I can't honestly think of another reason.

Mon May 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Gwyn youve summed it up exactly what i was feeling about saturday

Mon May 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Well said Gwyn.

The thing is its not just down to us fans to generate the noise in order for the team to get motivated. It is also down to the players/team to motivate the fans to make noise.

the way I see it is, some of the players didn't seem to give a f**k which deflated the fans and it felt like whatever noise we made, the players would not respond.

Never mind onwards and upwards :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Absolutely spot on. All this crap about plastics is just a pathetic.
A fan is a fan whether he goes a hundred times or not at all.

Mon May 24, 2010 3:13 pm

At the risk of repetition, couldn`t have put it better myself,
I was amazed at how little pain I felt at the end, and then I realised it was the blessed relief from the unbearable tension. Today, I feel worse than the weekend, but still glad it`s all over.
For 40 years I have ridden the roller coaster. Even when I played parks football. if I was anywhere near Ninian when we were at home I would forgo a shower and dash down to watch the last few minutes. Don`t think I ever saw us score!
I also support Wales and was at every single final game when a win would have taken us to the world cup ( Jocks twice, Rumania and Russia )
For the play offs I was at Leicester, but on holiday in Norwich for the home leg and watched it with my missus in a pub called, ironically, The Prince of Wales. I went mental at the end and half jokingly said to my wife " I will have a heart attack watching the City " and then learned next day that a fellow fan ( RIP ) did actually die at the game. ( I am 54 and very overweight so a high risk ). At Wembley, after 2 weeks of feeling sick 24/7 and time slowing like the weeks before Christmas did when I was a nipper, I was beside myself with nerves and simply sat and read a paper for 20 minutes. occasionally glancing at the screen. I never even looked up for their free kick as I knew he would score before he even put the ball down.
Discussing the game beforehand my mate gave me detailed reasons why we would lose ( something about our weak 4 man midfield ) and I simply said we would lose because we are Cardiff City and would bottle it. That`s what happened basically ( with Chopra an hounerable exeption).
Despite renewing my season ticket yet again, next season I am tempted to watch my local team ( Bournemouth )instead. I really want them to win when I go to see them, but it isn`t life or death, and therefore more enjoyable.

Mon May 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Yeah I agree too.

The atmosphere was like a Wales home game on Saturday!

Mon May 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Some good posts guys YES i was gutted we lost but i am happy to watch CCC football again next year.I said to my son at the leicester game i never had so many ups downs in a game ( was worried a heart attack wud stop me ever seeing premier football) the pressure was getting to much, now instead of feeling suicidal im looking forward to a happy future with new owners with my club secure for future generations.My son said dad no wonder you have high bloodpressure watching welsh sport for over 40 years, i had to agree its not easy.

Mon May 24, 2010 5:29 pm

BigGwynram wrote:No doubt about it was the pressure and tension, to us it was life or death or just about. The majority of our fans present were in the main every week attenders or at the least regular attenders in the main.

excellent post gwyn...
i feel exactly the same i was quiet all through the game and i had enough of the play off by the end of the leicester game.
play off at wembley was to much for me i didnt look forward to it nor did i enjoy the build up to the game..
blackpool fans were the same as us when we played pompey in the final.. yes we wanted to win but there wasnt any pressure on us so it was a party atmosphere...

Mon May 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Yeah i felt the same i was just to nervous to sing. shaking like a leaf and im usually a mouthy sod. That can never happen again i bet most felt like that :ayatollah:

Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Today it has all finally hit me - i have slept n slept and i take it i have now come down back to earth - because for the last 13 days i have ridden on minimal sleep and used up evergy i did not know i had - physically, mentally and emotionally drained - now on the up....

Good post Gwyn - we cannot dwell on what we have not got let us look to the season forth coming and who our team/manager will be and if we will play a new formation! :D

Bluebirds :ayatollah: