Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WEMBLEY WAY AND SHATTERED DREAMS Play off Final

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:30 pm

I had a compelling conversation with somebody inside the club today and we spoke of many things going on at the club but we spoke at length of one topic, Wembley 2 weeks ago and the despair that was directly felt afterwards.

What I was told was that everyone involved were obviously upset but as you can imagine some took the defeat harder than others and some could not comprehend what had happened.

I was told that 2 of our players, Chopra and Ledley were 'inconsolable', their dreams were shattered. The 2 of them, no matter who said what to them, nothing mattered they took it worse than anyone else in there, or it could be said they displayed it, their hearts were simply on their sleeves.

Another 2 players, Marshall and Burke, were dumbstruck. Both sat in the Dressing room and did'nt speak, they sat in silence, heads hung.

Dave Jones dealt with it in his way, he did'nt talk to the press, he was fuming with the fact he got so close to the dream. I had it said to me again that he said to Bothroyd that 'he will never play for him again', but I responded to that by saying, we have all been guilty of saying things in the heat of the moment and when we are under pressure and that hopefully those 2 can come back from their holidays and work together, cause I believe we need Bothroyd.

Re: WEMBLEY WAY AND SHATTERED DREAMS

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:38 pm

we do need Bothroyd, the playoff final showed that, i was his biggest critic, but fair play! i now know what he does, what he offers and how much our team need him

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:39 pm

good post carl, yes i agree we need bothroyd too, he was the difference with the team this year

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:41 pm

carlccfc wrote:I had a compelling conversation with somebody inside the club today and we spoke of many things going on at the club but we spoke at length of one topic, Wembley 2 weeks ago and the despair that was directly felt afterwards.

What I was told was that everyone involved were obviously upset but as you can imagine some took the defeat harder than others and some could not comprehend what had happened.

I was told that 2 of our players, Chopra and Ledley were 'inconsolable', their dreams were shattered. The 2 of them, no matter who said what to them, nothing mattered they took it worse than anyone else in there, or it could be said they displayed it, their hearts were simply on their sleeves.

Another 2 players, Marshall and Burke, were dumbstruck. Both sat in the Dressing room and did'nt speak, they sat in silence, heads hung.

Dave Jones dealt with it in his way, he did'nt talk to the press, he was fuming with the fact he got so close to the dream. I had it said to me again that he said to Bothroyd that 'he will never play for him again', but I responded to that by saying, we have all been guilty of saying things in the heat of the moment and when we are under pressure and that hopefully those 2 can come back from their holidays and work together, cause I believe we need Bothroyd.

Just got to bounce back stronger.
We showed character to improve after last year, we need to at least get in the play-offs again this year.

We've got some strong characters in the club now, and need to add more, Butt,Griffin and Leigertwood have been mentioned and they are the sort of players who've been promoted I expect Jones will turn to.

Strange how our 2 best players on the day were inconsolable, and probably the 2 poorest were 'dumbstruck'. Natural reactions I guess.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Do we know anymore about the Bothroyd thing? why was Jones annoyed with him?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:57 pm

:lol:

I thought you were talking about My books then Carl.
Its True what happened in the dressing rooms, I felt for Joe and Chops :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm

Total respect for Chopra after Wembley, he could'nt have tried any harder but in 40 years of highs & a lot of lows following City this hurt more than anything else.Not only by the defeat but the nature in which we lost against a average championship team who were willing to go that extra yard for the cause.I know we need Bothroyd & he is a prize asset to our cause & yes he had a muscle tear but this was the last game of the season ,in our biggest ever game & he was asking to come off in under 10 minutes.A lot of boxers have fought on with bad injuries because the hunger & determination drives them on to win, rugby players,endurance athletes, etc will more often than not play through pain.If Jones did get frustrated & lay into him, top man. :ayatollah:

Re: WEMBLEY WAY AND SHATTERED DREAMS Play off Final

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Yes excellent post Carl :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Is it true that Jay Bothroyd refused to take a pain killing injection before the game???

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Is it true that Jay Bothroyd refused to take a pain killing injection before the game???

I would have thought a cortisone injection or similar is fairly standard for players carrying injuries.

I don't think that having the injection would have made much difference to his injury though, possibly worsened it if he'd carried on?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Owain wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:Is it true that Jay Bothroyd refused to take a pain killing injection before the game???

I would have thought a cortisone injection or similar is fairly standard for players carrying injuries.

I don't think that having the injection would have made much difference to his injury though, possibly worsened it if he'd carried on?

I'm sure your right, just something i herd "through the grapevine".

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:11 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
Owain wrote:

I'm sure your right, just something i herd "through the grapevine".

I don't know really, just speculating.

I haven't heard about him not having one, but again it may well be true.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:25 pm

bluebirds over.... wrote:Total respect for Chopra after Wembley, he could'nt have tried any harder but in 40 years of highs & a lot of lows following City this hurt more than anything else.Not only by the defeat but the nature in which we lost against a average championship team who were willing to go that extra yard for the cause.I know we need Bothroyd & he is a prize asset to our cause & yes he had a muscle tear but this was the last game of the season ,in our biggest ever game & he was asking to come off in under 10 minutes.A lot of boxers have fought on with bad injuries because the hunger & determination drives them on to win, rugby players,endurance athletes, etc will more often than not play through pain.If Jones did get frustrated & lay into him, top man. :ayatollah:

Dick!

with a grade 2 tear - the pain is unbearable. Jones took his decision to play him, he's the f*cking manager, so lay off Bothroyd and get a grip of yourself. Jonesy got one more season, If he cant do it in 6yrs - he can f**k off somewhere else. I will give him my undevided support for the coming season, but thats all he's getting from me now. Anyway, So we missed out - f**k it, who cares. We are Cardiff City - and we'll come back bigger and better next season.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:04 am

I wonder if they were hurting as much as us ?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:41 am

carlccfc wrote:I had a compelling conversation with somebody inside the club today and we spoke of many things going on at the club but we spoke at length of one topic, Wembley 2 weeks ago and the despair that was directly felt afterwards.

Thats the problem Carl, we need Jay and he knows it. This is a problem that DJ has created by not having a plan "B" instead of playing our football around one man, personally I believe Jay had done a deal with a Premiership club prior to final and that he wasnt that bothered. I do know for a fact that nobody would talk to him in the dressing room, I hope he goes so we can reorganise our style of play.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:44 am

RichardBluebird wrote:

Thats the problem Carl, we need Jay and he knows it. This is a problem that DJ has created by not having a plan "B" instead of playing our football around one man, personally I believe Jay had done a deal with a Premiership club prior to final and that he wasnt that bothered. I do know for a fact that nobody would talk to him in the dressing room, I hope he goes so we can reorganise our style of play.

Thats the dumbest post i've read on here for a while! :tard: Jay is cardiff through & through now.....

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 am

Merlin wrote:
RichardBluebird wrote:

Thats the dumbest post i've read on here for a while! :tard: Jay is cardiff through & through now.....[/quot

In your opinion, I suppose Jay can show his emotions in different ways to the rest of the squad whom were devastated.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:01 am

If that's true then Dave Joners needs to f**k off right now. He should have aimed those words at our useless Captain and centre half.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:05 am

sell bothroyd. he`s a cocky tw*t anyway

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:49 am

I just hope next season we go up automatically...... couldnt take the stress of another play off final :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:41 pm

ihatealiens wrote:

If that's true then Dave Joners needs to f**k off right now. He should have aimed those words at our useless Captain and centre half.

Rubbish.

What would be the point at having a go at anyone ?

Are you saying Hudson didnt try ?

The stick he gets off some people is completely ridiculous.

There were far worse than him on the pitch - McNaughton, Burke, Marshall all had poor games, but I havent seen any stick given to them.

never mind though, just hand out a load of stick to one player, irrespectiv of how bad others were .... shit, you'd be a fantastic manager :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:57 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:

Rubbish.

There were far worse than him on the pitch - McNaughton, Burke, Marshall all had poor games, but I havent seen any stick given to them.

never mind though, just hand out a load of stick to one player, irrespectiv of how bad others were .... shit, you'd be a fantastic manager :lol:

I would have had a go at Hudson because he was responsible for two of the goals Blackpool scored rather than making an injured player a scapegoat. Yes Hudson tried but he's useless - look at our record when he's been in the starting line up. Second thoughts I'll save you the job of looking. Out of twenty nine matches in which Hudson played we won only eleven, drew six and lost an incredible twelve, thats an abysmal 41%+ loss rate. I wouldn't have bought him in the first place because he took Charlton down and his record there was equally as bad, so yes I would be a fantastic manager :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Burke , McNaughton and Marshall did have a dodgy time out there at Wembley, not the greatest day to pick for an off-day but Hudson was all over the shop and more importantly, was in so many other games he featured in last season. :think:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Rubbish.

never mind though, just hand out a load of stick to one player, irrespectiv of how bad others were .... shit, you'd be a fantastic manager :lol:[/quote]
I would have had a go at Hudson because he was responsible for two of the goals Blackpool scored rather than making an injured player a scapegoat. Yes Hudson tried but he's useless - look at our record when he's been in the starting line up. Second thoughts I'll save you the job of looking. Out of twenty nine matches in which Hudson played we won only eleven, drew six and lost an incredible twelve, thats an abysmal 41%+ loss rate. I wouldn't have bought him in the first place because he took Charlton down and his record there was equally as bad, so yes I would be a fantastic manager :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Which goals were Hudson's fault?
The first was Adam's free kick
The 2nd was from marshall dropping a cross
the 3rd was about 3 of them failing to clear.

i've just watched them again on here. something I really wanted to do, :( , just in case I've missed something and its crazy to blame him for any of the goals. http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/05/22 ... hts-video/

My Sunday Paper had him as our 2nd highest rated player in the play-offs with 7.

You sound like TLG trying to use stats to prove a point. :lol: , as you well know each game had its own individual circumstances.

FFS He didnt take Charlton down . They were in chaos. Ludicrous to blame him for that. Or was he also solely responsible when Palace got promoted too ?

Just like a few others you are looking for a scapegoat, and Hudson's fee and the fact that he's come in to replace a VERY VERY good centre half in Johnson makes him an easy target.

I remember Peter Thorne geting similar stick ... 'Barn door', based mainly on him having a lean spell and costing a lot of money, but Bothroyd aside he was our best target man for 30 years.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Take another look the 2nd goal was a golmouth scramble with 3 or 4 Cardiff players scrambling to clear the ball and Hudson stood there like a statue and the 3rd was a missed tackle by Hudson. Your sunday paper may have given him a 7 but I would give him a 4, just my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with stats mate, they dont lie. I don't think he's an easy target. I just have a personal opinion that he is not good enough for Championship football and Dave Jones made a mistake buying him but he's not big enough to admit it and don't be surprised to see him in the captains armband again next season and that will be another big mistake. I made no comparison with Johnson he's history he plays for someone else now. Hudson plays for us and he's not good enough, simples!!!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:50 am

ihatealiens wrote:Take another look the 2nd goal was a golmouth scramble with 3 or 4 Cardiff players scrambling to clear the ball and Hudson stood there like a statue and the 3rd was a missed tackle by Hudson. Your sunday paper may have given him a 7 but I would give him a 4, just my personal opinion. Nothing wrong with stats mate, they dont lie. I don't think he's an easy target. I just have a personal opinion that he is not good enough for Championship football and Dave Jones made a mistake buying him but he's not big enough to admit it and don't be surprised to see him in the captains armband again next season and that will be another big mistake. I made no comparison with Johnson he's history he plays for someone else now. Hudson plays for us and he's not good enough, simples!!!

Taken several (too many) looks at it and its still ridiculous to single Hudson out, at no time could he have made that tackle or blocked the shot. He wasn't the one who dropped the ball (Marshall), OR the one who got in his way (and would never have won the header anyway, McNaughton), failed to make a direct block, and was too slow to react (Kenneddy) or had the ball put through his legs (Marshall).

There are plenty of defenders there in both cases. Yet you single out the one who probably had least chance to stop it !!

Thats a totally one-eyed opinion, and once again the true reasoning behind it can be seen by the little chip at Dave Jones in the end.

Funny that the ones who criticise him most, and look to find fault in everything he does ae also the ones who are always looking for fault with Jones.

As for the stats, they can be manipulated to show whatever point you want. You know that ....(for example have you included just league games or Cup/Play-off games as well, if not why ? Have you compared it with opther players in the side who have a massive influence... McPhail, Bothroyd, Ledley on the positive and Enckleman, Etuihu, Taiwo etc.. on the negative, who were we up agaisnt, home or away, what injuries were being carried etc.. all effect these stats) ....

and I know that.

He's not a world'-beater and no Johnson, gabbidon or Loovens, but nowhere near as bad as some make out and some of the cirticism is frankly cringible. Like your blaming him for 2 goals at Wembley. This wasn't even mentioned in ANY report I read (and I read a few).. I wonder why ??

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:18 am

I'm not gonna go tit for tat with you on this mate lets agree to dissagree eh

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 am

ihatealiens wrote:I'm not gonna go tit for tat with you on this mate lets agree to dissagree eh

No, I can't agree with that.. :lol: :lol:

Only joking.

Of course its all opinions.

:ayatollah: