Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Things are not looking good for the atmosphere Gethin Jenkin

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:20 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:
Wayne S wrote:There's no way a Chief Exec would come in and say, I know, let's subdue the crowd. Absolutely no chance.

He would be sacked in a heartbeat if he crated an atmosphere like the Blues.

Standing can be sorted out to everyone's advantage, just move further back, switching with the person NOT wanting to stand.

I can't see it either but if the club does go down that route surely the best time to protest against is when we know officially not on some unsubstantiated rumours.

We've just got rid of one chief executive, shouldn't we let the other one get his feet under the table and actually do something before attacking him??

And is it hard to believe that someone can support both rugby and football???

The standing issue is to some extent out of the club's hands. If the police and licensing authority start to fuss they will have no option but to do something.

Happening all over the country not just a CCFC thing. Im fed up with these job worths constantly trying to kill our atmo with there PC bullshit. If they try it im just going to stand/sing more that's for sure.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:42 am

Does he get less than DVD girl? If so he needs to work on his technique :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:06 am

HOW ? can he stop people singing - IMPOSSIBLE - THE FANS will be the only people who will spoil the atmosphere by NOT singing (which to be honest happens regularly!)

Flags Stadium rule already in place none allowed on flag poles over a certain length - Flags are allowed at the rugby - WHY would they stop them at football - seems odd to me! - You could always wear them like a sarong :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:11 am

Jez wrote:HOW ? can he stop people singing - IMPOSSIBLE - THE FANS will be the only people who will spoil the atmosphere by NOT singing (which to be honest happens regularly!)

Flags Stadium rule already in place none allowed on flag poles over a certain length - Flags are allowed at the rugby - WHY would they stop them at football - seems odd to me! - You could always wear them like a sarong :lol:

These type of people come from a Rugby world which hates the football banter and Atmosphere, Mike Hall and Myself at a Shareholders meeting 2 years ago had an argument about it. He hates the football banter as well, said it to my face, I lost it with him.
They should stay away from football.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:01 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Jez wrote:HOW ? can he stop people singing - IMPOSSIBLE - THE FANS will be the only people who will spoil the atmosphere by NOT singing (which to be honest happens regularly!)

These type of people come from a Rugby world which hates the football banter and Atmosphere, Mike Hall and Myself at a Shareholders meeting 2 years ago had an argument about it. He hates the football banter as well, said it to my face, I lost it with him.

But Gethin Jenkins isn't Mike Hall is he. I don't know much about him but from the bit I have seen he has been a football fan since he was a lad . His background seems to be in sports adminikstration and onoe of his jobs happened to be as Chief Exedcutive of a rugby club.

We surely can't condemn people becasue they like both sports. To comdenm the enitre rugby wporld based on the views of some of them is surely ridiculous.

As In said earlier in the thread we've just got rid of oine CEO. For goodness sake ket's not strat a witchunt against the new one before he has really got started.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:17 am

Midfield general wrote:I thought it was a strange appointment from the start and it has Paul Guy and that other rugby c**t all over it.

If Gethin Jenkins is a so-called City fan then come out and prove it and prove to the fans that we have you all wrong. I'm sure the Echo would welcome his side of the story together with old pictures of him watching City.

Borley is off his head appointing him

I haven't got a single photo of myself following the City.

Does that mean I am not a fan? Should my dad have taken photos of me just in case I was accused of being a rugby fan in later life.

What a ridiculous point to make.

This is a good welcome to our new regime isn't it.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:30 am

Midfield general wrote:Good appointment..? How is making fear amongst the fans a good appointment..?

I made my previous point because people can come out with any sales-pitch just to get on the right side of the fans (PR was doing it all ther time) but I for one want proof of his past before I buy into his appointment.

Was the position even advertised..?

Did I say it was a good appointment. I don't know yet but lets give him a chance. How can he prove his past.

We are in dangerr of starting a witchunt.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:48 am

Midfield general wrote:good appointment/good welcome to the new regime can be seen as very similar statements.

However you mention a witchunt, well Jenkins can stop it right now by making a public statement that our worst fears won't happen. Is that such a hard thing to do...?

I was being ( perhaps unnecessarily) sarcastic ( well it is sunday afternoon and I'm bored!!) in that iI was saying that this sort of criticism of the new CEO based on runours was a "good"welcome.

I think we should just see how thingss go over the next few weeks before asking our CEO to make public statements.

To be honest I ws a bit surprised that we didn't appoint someone with a football background to hit the ground running, but I am prepared to give our new man a chance.

This accusation just doesn't add up

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:56 am

To make such a sweeping claim you really need to put some meat on the bones here.

If the club is going to stop outright racist abuse of black players and officials then good.

If the club is going to stop people persistantly standing up in front of fellow city fans who've paid good money for their seat then good.

If the club is going to continue preventing fans from draping their flags over advertising boards that generate money for our club then good.

All these measures will help develop our club.

As for Jenkins hating a football atmosphere then why is he a lifelong City fan? Sorry fella but I find your post a little hard to swallow.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:21 pm

Midfield general wrote:His background is the Dragons. Should I remind you that the Dragons are the also-runs of Welsh regional rugby and he would have probably zero amount of contacts from within the football world and any sponsors from the Dragons would have to more or less double their sponsorship to get any kind of advertising at CCSC.

You have heard it from me but in my opinion Jenkins will sink in this job.

But it is quite a common thing for CEO's to move to firms in different industries.

Look at Adam Crozier From the FA to Royal Mail and now from Royal Mail to ITV. What connection is there?

I'm not sure what relevance the Dragons sponsors are. I don't know if the club will want any of them and I'm sure that .

His low (relatively) salary has also been mentioned disparagingly in this thread. It is only the other day that I saw praise on this messageboard for the reduction in the CEO salary since the Ridsdale days.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:31 pm

didnt we go through this last season when they getting strict on standing. Statement on the website, etc, the stewards espically in the canton stand know the score by now. They dont even bother to come and ask us, becasue they know people wont sit down.

As soon as the stewards come up and tell you to sit ' all the fans are going to do is 'stand up if you hate swansea'

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Never seen him down the City in my life and Rem I use to go when 11 fans use to go away and we had 50 Season ticket holders for the home games.

But Gethin Jenkins isn't Mike Hall is he. I don't know much about him but from the bit I have seen he has been a football fan since he was a lad . His background seems to be in sports adminikstration and onoe of his jobs happened to be as Chief Exedcutive of a rugby club.

We surely can't condemn people becasue they like both sports. To comdenm the enitre rugby wporld based on the views of some of them is surely ridiculous.

As In said earlier in the thread we've just got rid of oine CEO. For goodness sake ket's not strat a witchunt against the new one before he has really got started.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Midfield general wrote:I thought it was a strange appointment from the start and it has Paul Guy and that other rugby c**t all over it.

If Gethin Jenkins is a so-called City fan then come out and prove it and prove to the fans that we have you all wrong. I'm sure the Echo would welcome his side of the story together with old pictures of him watching City.

Borley is off his head appointing him

We dont agree on much midfield general, but I agree 100% with you, I think he was a panic signing and it wasnt thought through, Borley has had to do a lot things in just a short time.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Lou Vogel wrote:didnt we go through this last season when they getting strict on standing. Statement on the website, etc, the stewards espically in the canton stand know the score by now. They dont even bother to come and ask us, becasue they know people wont sit down.

As soon as the stewards come up and tell you to sit ' all the fans are going to do is 'stand up if you hate swansea'

By the end of the season, Our club had come around to our way of thinking, now we have to go through it all again :evil:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Midfield general wrote:[quote="Elwood BluesLook at Adam Crozier From the FA to Royal Mail and now from Royal Mail to ITV. What connection is there?.

Well they are similar sized companies really which is not how you can compare the Dragons to the Bluebirds.

What has he done for the Dragons..? They won nothing, they are looked upon as the also-rans of the welsh regions and until he was appointed to his new position no-one has ever heard of him.

The job wasn't even advertised and if he was headhunted then the headhunters don't seem to have done their job properly.[/quote]

A little bit of research on what the Dragons have achieved off the field might be a bit useful as par tof this debate. As it seems conclusions are being jumped to.

They are by far the poorest and smallest of the Welsh regions, but their off-field set up has been far more successful in improving their gates than any of the others. They have been very innovative in getting families in, with fun days and a tented village, amusements for the kids etc.. and getting people there for the day. They have been fighting agains tthe fact that when the region was originally set-up it was rejected by the rest of Gwent and only supported by the 'old' Newport, a small and rather sh1t club, with a rubbish ground who had hit hard times.
They have got a pretty decent sponsor as well and seem to be well supported by local businesses. Do you think WE are doing well on that score - i dont, even after a million pound a year chairman.

DOn't forget his role will be different to Rids, as he will be there to organise the club, put systems in, sort out the pretty poor commercial side, shake out the waste etc.. he won't be chairman.

Lets give the guy a chance.

Some articles on the dragons Commercial side
http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/Page.aspx?p=289
http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/LatestNews.aspx?s=38

In the Community, a HELL of a lot of stuff for a small club..

Our shop is shit, isnt it. I reckon we've got less stuff in there, and a rubbish choice than we had at NP.

Well this is what the Dragons have got

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/LatestNews.aspx?s=41

As far as I see it, we've got a lot of problems from poor organisation at our club. Its shameful how weak we are with sponsorship, club shop, organisation of events like yesterday, community links, Premier Club sales etc., despite having a load of managers and a particularly well-paid chairman and other execs, personally I think its been ignored.. and the guy seems to have a decent track record in these areas, lets see how he gets on.

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/LatestNews.aspx?s=37

If there is blanket bans on standing and the stewarding goes OTT, I'll be right on your side in letting the guy know how we feel, but it has been threatened before and never happened.

Views on Jenkins from the Dragons fans... most seem to think he's done well there in 'difficult circumstances' and that its a big step up. http://draggedup.co.uk/chat/viewtopic.p ... c&start=15

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:56 pm

Midfield general wrote:[quote="Elwood BluesLook at Adam Crozier From the FA to Royal Mail and now from Royal Mail to ITV. What connection is there?.

Well they are similar sized companies really which is not how you can compare the Dragons to the Bluebirds.

What has he done for the Dragons..? They won nothing, they are looked upon as the also-rans of the welsh regions and until he was appointed to his new position no-one has ever heard of him.

The job wasn't even advertised and if he was headhunted then the headhunters don't seem to have done their job properly.[/quote]

FA amd Royal Mail similar size companies???

In December 2008, FA turnover was £261.8 million for the year.

Royal Mail turnover for the six months to end September 20087 was £4.65 BILLION.

In size terms probably like going from Dragons to Real Madrid or Man Utd. And then some.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Lawnmower wrote:

The job wasn't even advertised and if he was headhunted then the headhunters don't seem to have done their job properly.

A little bit of research on what the Dragons have achieved off the field might be a bit useful as par tof this debate. As it seems conclusions are being jumped to.

They are by far the poorest and smallest of the Welsh regions, but their off-field set up has been far more successful in improving their gates than any of the others. They have been very innovative in getting families in, with fun days and a tented village, amusements for the kids etc.. and getting people there for the day. They have been fighting agains tthe fact that when the region was originally set-up it was rejected by the rest of Gwent and only supported by the 'old' Newport, a small and rather sh1t club, with a rubbish ground who had hit hard times.
They have got a pretty decent sponsor as well and seem to be well supported by local businesses. Do you think WE are doing well on that score - i dont, even after a million pound a year chairman.

DOn't forget his role will be different to Rids, as he will be there to organise the club, put systems in, sort out the pretty poor commercial side, shake out the waste etc.. he won't be chairman.

Lets give the guy a chance.

Some articles on the dragons Commercial side
http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/Page.aspx?p=289
http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/LatestNews.aspx?s=38

In the Community, a HELL of a lot of stuff for a small club..

Our shop is shit, isnt it. I reckon we've got less stuff in there, and a rubbish choice than we had at NP.

Well this is what the Dragons have got

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/LatestNews.aspx?s=41

As far as I see it, we've got a lot of problems from poor organisation at our club. Its shameful how weak we are with sponsorship, club shop, organisation of events like yesterday, community links, Premier Club sales etc., despite having a load of managers and a particularly well-paid chairman and other execs, personally I think its been ignored.. and the guy seems to have a decent track record in these areas, lets see how he gets on.

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/LatestNews.aspx?s=37

If there is blanket bans on standing and the stewarding goes OTT, I'll be right on your side in letting the guy know how we feel, but it has been threatened before and never happened.

Views on Jenkins from the Dragons fans... most seem to think he's done well there in 'difficult circumstances' and that its a big step up. http://draggedup.co.uk/chat/viewtopic.p ... c&start=15[/quote]

Lawnmower

What an excellent post

Elwood.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:02 pm

There is a big Difference from running say a club with a turn over off say £300,000 a year to a £20 million a year Club.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Midfield general wrote:we'll see but when the shit happens I'll be the first to say that I told you so

I was First :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:There is a big Difference from running say a club with a turn over off say £300,000 a year to a £20 million a year Club.

I'd reckon the Dragons trunover is more like £5m Annis.

Average gate is about 6500, about 1/3 of ours.

All the more suprising that they seem better organised than us.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:There is a big Difference from running say a club with a turn over off say £300,000 a year to a £20 million a year Club.

I'd reckon the Dragons trunover is more like £5m Annis.

Average gate is about 6500, about 1/3 of ours.

All the more suprising that they seem better organised than us.

Then on that I stand corrected, but I will stand by My Opinion Jenkins is not the man for The Riddlers Position .

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Let's bring Ridsdale back then :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Owain wrote:Let's bring Ridsdale back then :lol:

Tut tut Owain, youve ruined my day :lol:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

At least Gethin isn't the riddler! Can't be worse surely :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Owain wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

True, but we needed a football minded person in my opinion.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Owain wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

If that mupped Huw Jenkins can run the Jacks, it can't be that difficult :lol:

Hope they aren't related :o

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Even though I have defended Gethin Jenkins in this post I tend to agree.

But let's give him a chance now he is there.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I wanted to, but I am already hearing that he wants to cut out the football banter etc and def does not want the Ninian Park Atmoshere, WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Midfield general wrote:Can't be much of a City fan then if he didn't like the Ninian Park atmosphere

Correct, thats how I feel, he wants nothing to do with our past and thats from him to me.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

That is my thinking too. An appointment with a football background would have been better, but I don't think he's a bad appointment as long as we have someone with some football knowledge. (I guess Borley is fulfilling this role)

I think it's crazy to start a witch hunt already though. With Tg as chairman, and Borley and co behind the scenes I think he'll do a good job.