Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Leicester away 1982

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:15 pm

Following on from Ely Trendies remininiscences about the good old days, we played Leicester away, a certain Mr Lineker scored after about 45 seconds (lost 3-1), on the way home our coach broke down, another coach suprisingly pulled in to where we were and said get on our coach, (the coach we were on was not full), we got on, it was the players coach, The Bennett brothers, Peter Kitchen and erm Andy Polycarpou.

Anyway we get back to Ninian,and not looking forward to the long walk home to Roath with Kaged and Basil (only 15 and skint).

A Jag goes by, it's Tarki Micallef, we wave, he stops, where you going boys, we reply Roath, he says hop in I am going to Pen-y-lan, what a geezer, offers us a fag, and politely answers a question from Basil about his brother playing against him in schools football, could have given it the big un but didn't,drops us off in City Road, what a gent.

Although a lot of the present players seem a decent bunch, can't see it happening today

Re: Leicester away 1982

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:17 pm

SUPERB FELLA

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:34 am

That was my first away game. Missed the Lineker goal, late leaving the pub.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Demus - remember the late 'Kieron Ferris' at Leicester. They were all cahnting 'animal' to him as he ate 4 pasties at once. Peter Kitchen scored for us on the stroke of half time.

GLYN 'BLOODY' BASTON. Did he have a bookies pen behind his ear that day???

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:17 pm

I was on the same coach and remember being very excited when I realised it was the players coach. I remember looking at Ron Healey when I sat down and I don't know who was the more surprised - me at seeing one of my heroes or him thinking what was a spotty faced 15 year old herbert was doing on the players coach.

I think this game was about three days after the infamous Welsh cup semi at Hereford. Ive still got the Echo somewhere which has about three pages on the trouble and half a page on the game (which was pretty dire anyway). The feeling at the end of that season was the worst i've experienced after getting relegated and losing to the Jacks in the Welsh cup final. The end of this season comes a close second.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Brumaway........Would this be the same day as CLYDE.....CLYDE

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:36 am

brumaway85 wrote:Demus - remember the late 'Kieron Ferris' at Leicester. They were all cahnting 'animal' to him as he ate 4 pasties at once. Peter Kitchen scored for us on the stroke of half time.

GLYN 'BLOODY' BASTON. Did he have a bookies pen behind his ear that day???

I always used to travel with Ferris on the Adarglas busses, legend :ayatollah:

He always blamed me for him getting nicked for writing CCFC on the bog walls in Leicester at a cup game around that time :lol: .

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Demus wrote:Brumaway........Would this be the same day as CLYDE.....CLYDE

AH! the rosett seller, yes. Clyde, Abroath.