Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I THINK WE ARE WRONG IF WE SELL CHOPS

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 am

For just over £4 Million, where will we get another striker for anywhere near that money who can score 20-25 goals a season ?
Any Opinions ?

Re: I THINK WE ARE WRONG IF WE SELL CHOPS

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:35 am

No I am gutted!

What makes it worse is that we are selling to a club in the same league with the same aspirations!

Is it more likely to happen now than not?

Im suprised DJ is willing to sell him as Chopra is well though of by him!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:36 am

Forever Blue wrote:For just over £4 Million, where will we get another striker for anywhere near that money who can score 20-25 goals a season ?
Any Opinions ?

if riddler was here, sales of best players would be ennevitable.

although we are trying to stabalise financially. i was with you when TG said he was targeting automatic promotion, to me selling arguably our best player and in my opinion the best finisher in the championship doesnt send out the right messsage.

but hey cant moan to much the malaysians seem to know whats best for cardiff city and i guess we must go with that.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 am

Forever Blue wrote:For just over £4 Million, where will we get another striker for anywhere near that money who can score 20-25 goals a season ?
Any Opinions ?

Chopra didnt score 20-25 goals tho, someone who could score 17 goals would be an improvement.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:47 am

I also think this would be a mistake.

But the position is that Ipswich have made an offer unless I've missed something :( I didn't think there had been any decision to sell yet and the Board can't stop other clubs making offers.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 am

I would be devastated if we sold Chopra

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 am

CayoBluebird wrote:
Any Opinions ?

Chopra didnt score 20-25 goals tho, someone who could score 17 goals would be an improvement.

19 goals, 41 starts, 7 sub appearances.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 am

just imagine the partnership that bellamy and chopra could have if they played together :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 am

piledriver64 wrote:
CayoBluebird wrote:
Any Opinions ?

19 goals, 41 starts, 7 sub appearances.

Since when have there been 48 games in a league season?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 am

We allready got someone in Ross McCormack.
I wouldnt mind Chopra going if it means 4 mill for team strengthening. We could get Pratley,Earnshaw and Koumas for that

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 am

Since when have there been 48 games in a league season?[/quote]

Those stats include playoff games.

I think £4 million is a good starting point for chopra, however, it depends how much of the deal is "cash upfront". Stoke city apparently offered £1 Million up front for Ledley as part of their £6 million pound bid last year, with the rest of the monies due heavily dependant of premier league survival.

Personally , I think he is worth £5 million, and I would sell him for that as long as the following conditions were met:-

Most of that money was upfront and half of the rest was used for team building.

The player himself wanted to go to Ipswich Town.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:18 am

CayoBluebird wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

19 goals, 41 starts, 7 sub appearances.[/quote]
Since when have there been 48 games in a league season?[/quote]

Those stats include Cup games, Annis didn't solely refer to league games when talking about 20-25 goals.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 am

Will Chopra even want to leave? At the end of the day, it will be
up to him as to whether he goes or not. Can Ipswich even pay his £25k a week wages- he will also want a hansom signing on fee.

If he goes he goes. Loosing our best players each season is part of being a Cardiff fan unfortunatly.
Last edited by Gonzo on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 am

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/Pro ... 98,00.html

Chopra stats form The Official site

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:28 am

I don't think he's someone that we can easily replace.
He does have his dry spells, but even without the goals he contributes a hell of a lot to the team.

The main worry is that he'd be going to another championship rival though. I think that could be a huge mistake.
If it was a premiership team, or elsewhere It wouldn't be as bad, but I'd hate to see him score 25 goals for another championship team.

Having said that, just because the Malaysians have invested some money, it doesn't automatically get rid of our big debts and financial problems does it. Every club is a selling club if the right offer comes in, and I'm just hoping the right offer doesn't come in

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 am

I would be gutted if we sold Chops. We all know he can blow hot and cold in the goals department but his general play is superb and he always gives 100% and makes a real nuisance of himself. He is by far the best striker in the division and proved this with his playoff performances, 2 goals in 3 games, could easily have been 5. He's the one player that regularly turns up for us in the big games, when many go into their shell.

In my opinion, we should be building the team about Bothroyd and Chops, and with a couple of decent signings in midfield Chops would get 20+ goals next season. I know we have Ross waiting in the wings but he had a really poor season, and looked overweight for most of it. Hopefully we can get him firing again but it is a risk.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:04 am

Im just confused as why would Chopra want to go to Ipswich anyway.

He would be leaving a top 6 club in Cardiff to go join a relagation scrapping team.

He has played arguably his best football for Cardiff over the times he has been here and him and Jay as a partnership have been superb.

He can stay at Cardiff and finish top 4 or go to Ipswich and finish bottom half.

Bot with the Mayalisians coming in here and slashing the wage bill then maybe it is money that Chopra is after.

I hope he stays :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:08 am

He won't go -fact. :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:13 pm

GarethGardner wrote:We allready got someone in Ross McCormack.
I wouldnt mind Chopra going if it means 4 mill for team strengthening. We could get Pratley,Earnshaw and Koumas for that

Gareth we sing from the same hymn sheet. Ross McCormack and Jay Bothroyd were just blossming as a partnership up until Ross got injured in late 2008 and Chopra then came on loan. I still remember the way they ripped Burnley apart in that famous game at Ninian Park in 2009 as proof of how prolific they can be.

Don't get me wrong I love Michael Chopra he will always be one those legendary Bluebirds, but he does have well documented personal problems which I'm sure is the reason behind his fluctuating goal scoring returns.

So in those circumstances £4m to be spent else where is almost a God send and I'm also convinced that Roy Keane will f**k the job up at Ipswich meaning the selling to a rival argument is also redundant.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

Gareth we sing from the same hymn sheet. Ross McCormack and Jay Bothroyd were just blossming as a partnership up until Ross got injured in late 2008 and Chopra then came on loan. I still remember the way they ripped Burnley apart in that famous game at Ninian Park in 2009 as proof of how prolific they can be.

Don't get me wrong I love Michael Chopra he will always be one those legendary Bluebirds, but he does have well documented personal problems which I'm sure is the reason behind his fluctuating goal scoring returns.

So in those circumstances £4m to be spent else where is almost a God send and I'm also convinced that Roy Keane will f**k the job up at Ipswich meaning the selling to a rival argument is also redundant.

And where does Chopra's thoughts come into this then ? Surely if he doesnt want to go - then he doesnt have to ?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Merlin wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

And where does Chopra's thoughts come into this then ? Surely if he doesnt want to go - then he doesnt have to ?

Very moral of you Merlin, but my limited understanding of such matters is that Chopra's agent would have been contacted well inadvance of Ipswich's £4m bid to test waters on whether he would be keen to go if the offer was accepted.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Any Opinions ?

Totally agree Annis, Jonesy should be building the team around him and be on the lookout for midfielders who can help his game. :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Any Opinions ?

i for one would de DEVASTATED , if we sold Chops . the Boy is Cardiff City through and through.
he is absolute class at this level. look at his two goals against the jacks , they were both instictive strikes.......
keep him ,and with a few quality signings we can make the top 2 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:41 pm

CayoBluebird wrote:
Any Opinions ?

Yes he did he scored at least 21 goals last season.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Any Opinions ?

I thought you were happy to let him go?
carlccfc wrote:I have spoken with someone at the club regarding Chopra and it is true the club have received a bid from Ipswich of £3.75 million but the club have not accepted the offer.

I must say that the club are not touting our players like Ridsdale used to and I have been told that the club are in fact trying to keep the team together and not break it up.

The club will in fact let Chopra go but for £4.5 million and they must receive all ( or a very large percentage ) up front, which I have been told they will then give DJ the money to use in the transfer market.

I, personally would let Chopra go that money, even though he has scored over 20 goals this season he does have these spells where he goes on a barren run and it does cost the team dearly.

I am with you on this Carl and if we get £4.5 mill I would sell him.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Chops is worth a lot more than £4mil and to sell to Ipswich would be devastating.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:53 pm

They seem happy on here to sign him for £4.2m

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tn ... 2121351693

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm

why would her want to go and work with keane again?,it didnt turn out well the last time and it wont again.he wont be going to ipswich

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 pm

ackers1927 wrote:They seem happy on here to sign him for £4.2m

They say what a Great Signing he would be :evil:

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
ackers1927 wrote:They seem happy on here to sign him for £4.2m

They say what a Great Signing he would be :evil:

Really pissing me off seeing these Ipswich fans acting like they've already signed him.

We NEED to keep him.