Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

gethin and dislike of the valleys

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:53 pm

having read a few threads about gwyns book it has occured to me that originally the newport rugby club from whence gethin came were suppossed to merge with ebbw vale rugby club to form a welsh region.
It initially started out that way but it wasent to long before the valleys side was kicked into touch and the region became newport gwent dragons and ebbw vale virtually disappeared off the scene
i dont know if gethin was on the scene then but seems a hell of a coincidence to me or did he pick his anti valley views up from working there :roll:

Re: gethin and dislike of the valleys

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:56 pm

You are correct Steve shit on Ebbw Vale and the valleys so there is a lot of dislike there i bet the townies put the anti valley feelings and views forward to him.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:57 pm

I think the same principle applied with the Cardiff Blues & Pontypridd, it just didn't happen. They just wanted to retain there own, original identity i guess.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:58 pm

steve davies wrote:having read a few threads about gwyns book it has occured to me that originally the newport rugby club from whence gethin came were suppossed to merge with ebbw vale rugby club to form a welsh region.
It initially started out that way but it wasent to long before the valleys side was kicked into touch and the region became newport gwent dragons and ebbw vale virtually disappeared off the scene
i dont know if gethin was on the scene then but seems a hell of a coincidence to me or did he pick his anti valley views up from working there :roll:

there is a massive problem between the gwent dragons and the valleys. pontypool and ebbw vale and lesser clubs refuse point blank to follow the dragons. theyd rather follow there own teams.
the dragons were asked to spread the games around the gwent valleys, to which they said no.
whether that came from gethin or not im not sure off though.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Lesser clubs you are talking shit until Tony Brown put money into Newport they where bottom of the league and Ebbw Vale done very well against them. So no way are Ebbw Vale a lesser club than them and never have been.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:17 pm

In Welsh rugby there is a very parochial mentality and no way would Ebbw or Pontypool follow a Newport based team no matter how many concessions were made for them.

Fans from Cross Keys and Newbridge follow The Dragons though.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I think this is getting blown out of all proportion to be honest

the sooner the ceo and gwyn have a meeting the better

if it doesnt happen , then people should just get on with supporting cardiff city and not worry about it

if hes made a daft move in removing the book , then hes got to deal with it

we have had this fella in the job just a few weeks

lets move on and get on with supporting the club , the valleys fans we have know that they are a huge part of our club ..always have been and always will be ..they surely wont be pissed off by this book issue ..its a great read

this is a storm in a teacup lads

ps....I couldnt give a toss about the rugby ..rise above this and get behind ccfc

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:Lesser clubs you are talking shit until Tony Brown put money into Newport they where bottom of the league and Ebbw Vale done very well against them. So no way are Ebbw Vale a lesser club than them and never have been.

read what i said, i stated pontypool, ebbw vale AND lesser clubs........ i used to love christmas games away at ebbw when it was - 10 on the scoreboard.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Ebbw Blue wrote:Lesser clubs you are talking shit until Tony Brown put money into Newport they where bottom of the league and Ebbw Vale done very well against them. So no way are Ebbw Vale a lesser club than them and never have been.

I dont want to get into an Egg Argument but the fact is that Ebbw Vale had probably a decade if that of more success than Newport.
Newport And Pontypool have much more prestigious histories than Ebbw Vale.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Sludge wrote:I think this is getting blown out of all proportion to be honest

if it doesnt happen , then people should just get on with supporting cardiff city and not worry about it

lets move on and get on with supporting the club , the valleys fans we have know that they are a huge part of our club ..always have been and always will be ..they surely wont be pissed off by this book issue ..its a great read

ps....I couldnt give a toss about the rugby ..rise above this and get behind ccfc

completely agree

all getting a bit silly

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Sludge wrote:I think this is getting blown out of all proportion to be honest

I feel quite strong about this Sludge.

In the 80s I use to walk on the other side of the road to our hooligan element. I did not like the situation but I was not going to stop following a club that I love. As much as I wanted this element out of the way the authorites failed to sort it out as far as I was concerned.

However, as you know I left the country for many years but managed to come back now and again to watch the City. After the turn of the century I noticed a significant drop in our reputation and wondered how this had come about. I found my answer is Gwyns book, it just all tied in. The whole concept of recognising the problem and being proactive in doing something about it from the "inside" has turned out to be the most successful thing we have done in resolving the issue. I just cant understand how some people cant see that.

As far as I'm concerned the removal of the book is a backward step and it has only been made worse by Gethins response in saying it is inappropriate.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:30 pm

I think that he has brought with him a Newport/Egg Mentality...as mentioned its Mostly Newport Fans that support the Dragons and the games dont get shared around Gwent.The Dragons also do not like loaning out their Players to other Gwent Teams even in Lower Divisions,unlike the Blues,Ospreys and Scarlets.All this means that the Dragons are in all essence NEWPORT RFC and supported by,in the main,Newportonians.He obviously is of the opinion that Cardiff City should be wholly supported by Cardiffians.As previously stated by someone if he thinks he can fill the Stadium with people from Lisvane,The Heath,Roath and Whitchurch etc he needs his head examined!

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:57 pm

steve davies wrote:having read a few threads about gwyns book it has occured to me that originally the newport rugby club from whence gethin came were suppossed to merge with ebbw vale rugby club to form a welsh region.

I am hearing a lot of bad stories from his time up in Newport :roll:

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 pm

this is starting to get embarrassing, do u really think he wants to stop the valley supporters following city, the very suggestion is ridiculous. Do u think the malaysians would stand back if this was his motive. U swear the guy had sold chops and jay to swansea the way ur all going on! Or even said he's gonna turn our stadium into flats! I've tried to stay out of this as much as i can but at the end of the day, what has the guy done to deserve his name being dragged thru the shit like it has in the last couple of days NOT RE-STOCKED A f*cking BOOK! If u remember right sam hamman changed our f*cking badge yet he can't do f**k all wrong in some of ur eyes, i think the only time some of u will be happy is he sam hamman is ceo

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:this is starting to get embarrassing, do u really think he wants to stop the valley supporters following city, the very suggestion is ridiculous. Do u think the malaysians would stand back if this was his motive. U swear the guy had sold chops and jay to swansea the way ur all going on! Or even said he's gonna turn our stadium into flats! I've tried to stay out of this as much as i can but at the end of the day, what has the guy done to deserve his name being dragged thru the shit like it has in the last couple of days NOT RE-STOCKED A f*cking BOOK! If u remember right sam hamman changed our f*cking badge yet he can't do f**k all wrong in some of ur eyes, i think the only time some of u will be happy is he sam hamman is ceo

i am a valley lad and i do not believe the made up rumour that he dont want valley people down there,annis you have a responsibility to this board you like the well done annis for the breaking news etc pat on the back,and i thank you for that also,but when it comes down to gethin not selling a book you are part of in the shop you started slating him then resorted to saying he dont want valley people at city is wrong until proven,you have a lot of your mates on here who just agree with your every word,so now they have joined in your crusade to get him gone and kane him,give the guy a chance then if he fails then you can start a crusade.before you start i am not a sniper because i dare to disagree,annis knows me and i just disagree with this pointless issue that is dragging on.also the bring sam back,sams gone,and we have moved on,i wish others would.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:09 pm

gup-1 wrote:
thehumblegringo wrote:this is starting to get embarrassing, do u really think he wants to stop the valley supporters following city, the very suggestion is ridiculous. Do u think the malaysians would stand back if this was his motive. U swear the guy had sold chops and jay to swansea the way ur all going on! Or even said he's gonna turn our stadium into flats! I've tried to stay out of this as much as i can but at the end of the day, what has the guy done to deserve his name being dragged thru the shit like it has in the last couple of days NOT RE-STOCKED A f*cking BOOK! If u remember right sam hamman changed our f*cking badge yet he can't do f**k all wrong in some of ur eyes, i think the only time some of u will be happy is he sam hamman is ceo

i am a valley lad and i do not believe the made up rumour that he dont want valley people down there,annis you have a responsibility to this board you like the well done annis for the breaking news etc pat on the back,and i thank you for that also,but when it comes down to gethin not selling a book you are part of in the shop you started slating him then resorted to saying he dont want valley people at city is wrong until proven,you have a lot of your mates on here who just agree with your every word,so now they have joined in your crusade to get him gone and kane him,give the guy a chance then if he fails then you can start a crusade.before you start i am not a sniper because i dare to disagree,annis knows me and i just disagree with this pointless issue that is dragging on.also the bring sam back,sams gone,and we have moved on,i wish others would.

Guppy I have said his exact words to me ""The Cardiff City Valley rams book is Not APPROPRIATE for Cardiff City Football Club"
I asked him why and he refuses to reply. Borley has told him to put it in and he has refused, He was asked to ring Big Gwyn by Borley on several occasions and he has declined. I just think he is arrogant and pig headed, just my Opinion. Also the manager off the Club shop has requested the book.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:09 pm

i think its not so much the selling of the book (although that is an issue) the underlying argument or concern is the reasoning and comments that went behind the removal.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 pm

The Premier 1 wrote:i think its not so much the selling of the book (although that is an issue) the underlying argument or concern is the reasoning and comments that went behind the removal.

Correct, andy, I dont care anymore if he ever sell them now, just his attitude stinks.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
gup-1 wrote:

by saying the book is not appropriate thats hardly i hate the valley people and dont want them down at cardiff,there is no evidence of that weak rumour lads

Guppy I have said his exact words to me ""The Cardiff City Valley rams book is Not APPROPRIATE for Cardiff City Football Club"
I asked him why and he refuses to reply. Borley has told him to put it in and he has refused, He was asked to ring Big Gwyn by Borley on several occasions and he has declined. I just think he is arrogant and pig headed, just my Opinion.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Guppy, As a Chief Executive his attitude stinks, especially as he has been asked by senior people at Cardiff City.

The only book singled out,out of all of them, if he wont take that one he can forget the rest.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:21 pm

by saying the book is not appropriate does not warrant the weak rumour he hates valley people and do not want them down the city,now it is his attitude stinks,if it is personnel annis you have every right to sort it out,but for a majority of the people who just agree with everything you say suddenly hate him is embarrassing on their parts,they have no reason to hate or judge him YET.have your own minds lads

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:02 pm

gup-1 wrote:by saying the book is not appropriate does not warrant the weak rumour he hates valley people and do not want them down the city,now it is his attitude stinks,if it is personnel annis you have every right to sort it out,but for a majority of the people who just agree with everything you say suddenly hate him is embarrassing on their parts,they have no reason to hate or judge him YET.have your own minds lads

gup

do you not find it strange that he was going to keep the soul crew books and dump the rams one.
steve borley has read all three and gave the go ahead to put the books back in the shop but he actually has refused to do that purely by the pictures on the front cover.
surely with the club getting the lions share of the money from the sales any income streams would be welcome in the clubs present financial plight.
the more worrying thing for me is that we have a ceo who makes off the cuff and hasty desicions and does not seem to heed or take advice from directors of the club.
put you or i in his position gup and we would certainly asked the management and staff of the shop if there had been any complaints from fans about the appearance of the book in the shop before making that sort of desicion.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:06 pm

annis we disagree on many things , you always respect different opinions

well my opinion is that this issue is being made out to be far more than it is and its time to move on from it now , its not doing anyone any favours

regards

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:08 pm

very true , the new badge was shite !!

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:10 pm

Sludge wrote:annis we disagree on many things , you always respect different opinions

well my opinion is that this issue is being made out to be far more than it is and its time to move on from it now , its not doing anyone any favours

regards

Yes Sludge, you can move on from it, I cant, I dont want him to have the books now, I feel he is not the type of person who should be Chief Executive of our Club, with his kind of attitude, TIME WILL ONLY TELL.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:18 pm

steve davies wrote:
gup-1 wrote:by saying the book is not appropriate does not warrant the weak rumour he hates valley people and do not want them down the city,now it is his attitude stinks,if it is personnel annis you have every right to sort it out,but for a majority of the people who just agree with everything you say suddenly hate him is embarrassing on their parts,they have no reason to hate or judge him YET.have your own minds lads

gup

do you not find it strange that he was going to keep the soul crew books and dump the rams one.
steve borley has read all three and gave the go ahead to put the books back in the shop but he actually has refused to do that purely by the pictures on the front cover.
surely with the club getting the lions share of the money from the sales any income streams would be welcome in the clubs present financial plight.
the more worrying thing for me is that we have a ceo who makes off the cuff and hasty desicions and does not seem to heed or take advice from directors of the club.
put you or i in his position gup and we would certainly asked the management and staff of the shop if there had been any complaints from fans about the appearance of the book in the shop before making that sort of desicion.
good post,yes that is strange that the soul crew books stay there,and yes i would seek advice and guidance if i was ceo,i agree with you there,but i think for everyone to start hating the guy because a few said his attitude is wrong is naive and wrong,all i am saying is lets give the guy a chance to see if he is a tosser,if he messes our club up i will then be in the risdale que to get him out of town,but i will wait and see what he is about mate

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Careful gentlemen, can't have too many people disagreeing with the party line on this MB.

It is becoming embarrasing and clearly now a personal vendetta against our clubs new CEO.

Unsubstantiated rumour and innuendo which the foot soldiers swallow up hook, line and sinker.

I've questioned all the rumours on here and have still not received any facts to substantiate them, just the usual "sniper" remarks, abusive PM's and my own messages tampered with, then removed.

Intelligent, reasoned debate? No chance!!

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:32 pm

Why doesnt gwyn give the books a plain brown paper cover, therefore pleasing our over zealous CEO.

He could print on the front that this is the book BANNED by the CEO and they would fly out !!!!

The fact that Gethin will not pick up the phone and chat to Gwyn does not fill me with confidence, especially as he has been asked by his paymasters to do so. We have had a recent employee that did not abide by the directors wishes and look at the trouble that has got us into.

COME ON GETHIN BE A MAN AND DO THE RIGHT THING.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:34 pm

gup-1 wrote:
steve davies wrote:

gup

good post,yes that is strange that the soul crew books stay there,and yes i would seek advice and guidance if i was ceo,i agree with you there,but i think for everyone to start hating the guy because a few said his attitude is wrong is naive and wrong,all i am saying is lets give the guy a chance to see if he is a tosser,if he messes our club up i will then be in the risdale que to get him out of town,but i will wait and see what he is about mate

thats the best approach , lets see how things go before hanging him out to dry

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:39 pm

Claude Blue wrote:Careful gentlemen, can't have too many people disagreeing with the party line on this MB.

It is becoming embarrasing and clearly now a personal vendetta against our clubs new CEO.

Unsubstantiated rumour and innuendo which the foot soldiers swallow up hook, line and sinker.

I've questioned all the rumours on here and have still not received any facts to substantiate them, just the usual "sniper" remarks, abusive PM's and my own messages tampered with, then removed.

Intelligent, reasoned debate? No chance!!

read all the posts claude and by all means debate
do you not find it remotley debatable that a man would keep two soul crew books in his shop of which most city fans associate football violence with but not stock a book that does not glorify football violence in any way but tries to portray how different sets of fans from valleys that were at odds with each other over the years came together under the guise of the rams.
whats the saying claude "never judge a book by its cover" well he just did which allows us to judge him by his cover which does not seem to be to some peoples tastes.
its his hasty decision which worries me nothing more than that i expected better judgement from a man in his position.