Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RIGHT WE HAVE GOT THE GOALKEEPING SITUATION UNDER WRAPS

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:25 pm

For Next Season :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Si If just Ledley now leaves plus the rest who have already gone.

What positions need filling and how many more players Will We need to go for at least a top 6 Finish ?
But I still say if there is No Hardman/Leader Centre of Midfield we will sadly fail again OPINIONS Please :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: RIGHT WE HAVE GOT THE GOALKEEPING SITUATION UNDER WRAPS

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:28 pm

i still think robbie savage has a lot to offer, always will be a good squad player :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:29 pm

I think we need at least 2 centre midfielders if Joe goes, we need a back up for Jay also, another centre half and a right back and then a wide player to cover Burkey :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:30 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:i still think robbie savage has a lot to offer, always will be a good squad player :ayatollah:

Baz, I said Savage the other night, not many agreed with me, but I like him :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:30 pm

we need another forward in the Jay mould or God forbid someone like Jason Scotland who can hold the ball up just incase DJ fancies playing a 4 - 5 - 1 sometime during his reign as longest serving championship manager , 1 more full back who's quite tall will do plus another centre half but 1 with a bit of pace about him . Then add 1 more centre MF and anybody else he can add to the squad on the cheap really :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Hasn't Gary O'Neil turned down a contract offer from Middlesborough? Still has 1 year left on his contract, but in my opinion, in the 9 games he played was one of the best players I've seen in a blue shirt. :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:32 pm

The centre midfield has to be priority. a leader & a goal scoring midfielder is vital!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Carl - Why do you think we need a right back? Do you know something?
Bosco :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Bosco Blue wrote:Carl - Why do you think we need a right back? Do you know something?

I would like to see Kev Mcnaughton go to left back but he has to raise the game as I have been watching him closely throughout the season and his distribution has been poor in the main, Kennedy would then be the cover for that position.

Adam Matthews I hope will be the right back and whilst we have Paul Quinn I dont feel he has been good enough to be fair except for the first game of the season against Scunthorpe where he deserved the Man of the Match.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:44 pm

I think we need a Left back, a Centre back , at least 2 hopefully 3 midfielders (2 of these have to be evil ball winning conts) and a Forward as cover for Jay.

Then we will go up automatic :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:47 pm

Savage would not be a good signing, chiefly because as soon as a match finishes on Saturday for this season , he is off to present Talk Sport as a pundit!

Cant see Derby fans being happy with that arrangement either!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:10 pm

If we signed Savage I would question Dave Jones position big time. Thought Savage looked a joke of a played when we played derby, 5 years ago ideal now I wouldn't even have him as back up to the bench.

I'm still not writing off quinn myself sinus leave the fullback positions unless funds were
left after looking at other positions, same with a wide player.

We need a CB, 2cms ad comp for jay and I'd be happy.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:20 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:i still think robbie savage has a lot to offer, always will be a good squad player :ayatollah:

Baz, you took the words right out of my mouth you thief :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Back up/competition for Jay is a must. A bit of an animal in CM is also a big need, plus a box to box player. I would like to see a new CB signed but doubt it will happen as Jonesy would then be admitting Hudson was a wrong move.

I would like to see a system in place where Ross could see more game time as I feel he's a nuisance player to the opposition.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Assuming Jones won't change his tactics:

A target man to act as back-up to Bothroyd
Starting left back
A replacement for Ledley ( I would love Robert Koren)
Back-up for Burke - we'll never get a full season out of him
Darcy Blake playing a greater role/ devloping as our DM
Back-up centre back

I would try and sell McNaughton -was great but has lost form which I sadly think he'll never regain
Sell Gyepes and bring in a replacement

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:58 am

Danson Furnace wrote:Assuming Jones won't change his tactics:

A target man to act as back-up to Bothroyd
Starting left back
A replacement for Ledley ( I would love Robert Koren)
Back-up for Burke - we'll never get a full season out of him
Darcy Blake playing a greater role/ devloping as our DM
Back-up centre back

I would try and sell McNaughton -was great but has lost form which I sadly think he'll never regain
Sell Gyepes and bring in a replacement

Gyepes has been released avnt he :?

And keep Kev, his formed dropped towards the end of the season, but look at him against Chelsea. he was one of the best players on the pitch.

Chopra looses form and goes on barron spells for months. but would we sell him, No because we know how good he can be when he is on form. :ayatollah: :old: :lol:

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:14 am

Gyepes told he can find a club, hasn't been released.

And Savage? His legs have gone, he's now a more or less immobile headless chicken, capable of passing 5 yards and thats about it.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:00 pm

We need 2 centre backs, righ back 2 cover kevin, 2 centre midefeilders( 1 of them being a playmaker and 1 of them being hardman like a Nigel De-Jong sort of player) we could do with a left winger and a striker.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:48 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Bosco Blue wrote:Carl - Why do you think we need a right back? Do you know something?

I would like to see Kev Mcnaughton go to left back but he has to raise the game as I have been watching him closely throughout the season and his distribution has been poor in the main, Kennedy would then be the cover for that position.

Adam Matthews I hope will be the right back and whilst we have Paul Quinn I dont feel he has been good enough to be fair except for the first game of the season against Scunthorpe where he deserved the Man of the Match.

I agree with switching Kev over, he looks more comfortable there.

Quinn however, I think there is more to come, and in fairness you've missed his best game out - vs. leicester in the league at home when he was IMMENSE.

Surely Matthews is going to leave though ?

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:31 pm

We need to replace every player that has gone or who is going, including Ledley, and they need to be repalced by players of a far better quality.

Heaton is better than Enks, so thats a good start but we now need to replace the likes of Capaldi, Scimeca, Taiwo, Feeney etc etc with far better quality players.

Remember the squad was small and stretched anyway last season. DJ needs to get busy and buy the right players to strengthen.

Also, as well as replacing those that have left we need cover for central defence as Hudson proved to be not up to it and DJ will not pick GG unless he has to, he also needs back up for JAY.

Finally, we need to hold on to the class players, other than JL who is gone.

Get busy DJ and you any persuasive powers you have on VT whilst you are in the east.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:58 am

Priority 1 - Centre Midfield x 2, Centre Back x 1
Priority 2 - Back up for Jay

Ceri