Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Dave Jones, Jay Bothroyd and Steven Howard

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I have just come off the phone to a contact and the reason for the call was really about Steve Howard and City's interest in him but there was even better news as far as I am concerned.

I have been told despite the very heated exchange of words directly after the play off final between DJ and Boths, that they have had a meeting and reconciled which has resulted in great news for us, Jay will remain a City player and will be one of DJ's preferred strikers. I am glad that they have put their differences behind them and I know we have all been guilty of saying things in the heat of the moment that we sometimes regret. Of course there is no saying that another club wont come in for Jay with big money and there is no guarantees in football but the Malaysians and DJ really are trying to keep this team together.

With regards to the original topic of the telephone conversation, Steven Howard is a player that DJ wants a lot, he is a main target of his, Steven Howard is aware that he would be playing a back up role to our main strikers and he knows he now has a decision to make. The club believe they will get their man and he will complete the forward line for the squad.

I also believe that Howard would be a very good signing, I dont care about his age as I believe he can most definately do a job in this division.

Re: Dave Jones, Jay Bothroyd and Steven Howard

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Great News Carl, Also over 2 weeks ago we Said on here Steven Howard was Top Of Dave Jones list and its True Jones has now made contact with him, hopefully We get our man :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 pm

I hated him , he caused us problems and looked very dangerous

id welcome him, good cover for jay :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Good news Carl once again......but any sign of some decent defenders yet? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:16 pm

would Leicester want to sell him to us thou?

it would be a fine coup if the club pull it off , it has to be said!

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Howard caused us havoc when he played against us. Bulkier than Jay but a great player to have either way. If Jay gets a knock, we have the Chopra/Thommo type partnership back?

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Great News Carl, Also over 2 weeks ago we Said on here Steven Howard was Top Of Dave Jones list and its True Jones has now made contact with him, hopefully We get our man :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

at this moment stopping at leicester

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:35 pm

steve davies wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Great News Carl, Also over 2 weeks ago we Said on here Steven Howard was Top Of Dave Jones list and its True Jones has now made contact with him, hopefully We get our man :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

But Steve, Howard is Def on the list.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:35 pm

I think Jones realises mistakes in the past - and is now putting together his "PLAN B"

Howard isn't the paciest of forwards, but holds the ball up, brings others into play, creates chances, and disturbs and initmidates defenders - if he only lasts one season and helps get us up, then all i can say is he'd be a good purchase. Is he on a free? or is there a fee involved?

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:38 pm

And would Howard be happy with us calling him a "Fat b*stard" in all 4 games we played him in last season? :oops:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:42 pm

AfanBluebird wrote:And would Howard be happy with us calling him a "Fat b*stard" in all 4 games we played him in last season? :oops:

:lol:
Its part and parcel of the game. :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Good news I suppose about Jay, but I hope DJ will introduce a plan "B" next season as you cant build a team around one man and Jay needs to know that too as I personally believe Jay thinks this is the case. We need someone that will put pressure on Bothroyd's position.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Steven Howard is going to be a bad signing. Everyone is geting carried away with his performance against us in the PO at CCS. Take that game away and Howard did very little last season. According to the Leicester fans I live near they think he is a spent force.

OK he will be here as a backup for Jay which is better than what we had last season, that was nothing just to remind some, but if Jay gets injured well I hope DJ is considering inventing a plan B this summer.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:43 pm

["Forever Blue"]["steve davies""Forever Blue"]Great News Carl, Also over 2 weeks ago we Said on here Steven Howard was Top Of Dave Jones list and its True Jones has now made contact with him, hopefully We get our man :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

But Steve, Howard is Def on the list.[/quote]
he might have well been annis but that has not stopped howard using the interest to secure a better deal for himself at leicester.
its the same as us being connected to the swindon striker no enquiry by our club but his agent giving the story to the echo to let people know that he's available.
its also still early to get deals done as players will keep holding out until the last moment and dato has made sure there will be no further father xmas attitudes to securing players this season.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm

steve davies wrote:["Forever Blue"]["steve davies""Forever Blue"]Great News Carl, Also over 2 weeks ago we Said on here Steven Howard was Top Of Dave Jones list and its True Jones has now made contact with him, hopefully We get our man :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

But Steve, Howard is Def on the list.

he might have well been annis but that has not stopped howard using the interest to secure a better deal for himself at leicester.
its the same as us being connected to the swindon striker no enquiry by our club but his agent giving the story to the echo to let people know that he's available.
its also still early to get deals done as players will keep holding out until the last moment and dato has made sure there will be no further father xmas attitudes to securing players this season.[/quote]

I agree on that steve and I am glad those days have gone.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Thanks once again for the update Carl,
I see Steve Howard as more than just cover for Jay, Jay can be a great player at times but we all know that he needs that kick up the ass now and again to keep him on his toes and Howard is definately the man to do that. Good management by DJ i reckon as he can only do so much with words and now Jay will know that if he's not giving 100% then there is someone very committed to step into the breach. Howard is mean, aggressive, unselfish, nice close control, holds the ball up very well and is good in the air. To my mind he "IS" that plan B we were sadly missing last season...or at least a part of it.
I personally think he would be a very good signing for us.
:ayatollah:
Jes

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Would be happy only as a back up really.

He's one of those players who always seem to play well and score against us but does he do it consistently enough?

Could be a geriatric Alan Lee.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:42 pm

I rate Howard very highly in this league. Every team needs a Target man, Howard was Leicester's, Bothroyd was ours. For years now, DJ has been chasing him and I can see why.

Last year he tormented our Center Halves. He's clever at what he does. You can not mark a Player who plays 5 or 6 yards away from you to collect the ball. He pulls the back line out of shape and creates gaps for Strikers to run into. This is why teams like Swansea failed last season, and teams like Us, Leicester & Blackpool were in the play offs.

He's got to decide, does he want regular first team football, or challenge against a player who is adored by the fans and has proven to one of the best signings the club has made, but get a chance of winning the league at the age of 34?

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Thank you once more for keeping us in the loop, Carl.

Great news about Jones and Bothroyd.

Steve Howard would be a good signing. On too many occassions we were severely lacking when Bothroyd was injured; the play-off final being the biggest example. People complain about his age but lets face it, he's not a Kevin Campbell signing. At his age he would be a good back-up.

As an aside though it looks lile, tactically, Jones will not be opting for a plan B i.e. short interlinking play in midfield and Bothroyd as a target man.

A few questions though. Will Howard be available on a free? It sounds like a strange sale on the face of it for Leicester. Do they have a youngster coming through the ranks or money to spend next season? They could well be promotion contenders next season.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:27 pm

I remember DJ stating on walesonline blog that it was the hardest position to fill and that he couldn't get cover for Jay but was looking hard. Howard would in my opinion would be a good back up to Jay and also keep Jay on his toes in terms of competition for that position in the team.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Cant get excited about Howard. Just beacuse he played well against us doesn't mean he'd be good for us. Remember Gavin Gordan and Taiwoo and he's 34. Good news about Boothroyd though.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:45 am

hailesy wrote:I remember DJ stating on walesonline blog that it was the hardest position to fill and that he couldn't get cover for Jay but was looking hard. Howard would in my opinion would be a good back up to Jay and also keep Jay on his toes in terms of competition for that position in the team.

It is a hard position to fill as a good back up and even though Howard is top of Jones list, Like Steve Davies says it does not Guarantee we will get him.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:51 am

If Jay was to leave I would have liked Howard as his replacement so having him as back up in my eyes is superb. Like you say, being back up is a hard role to play (as Ross found out) but I think Howard has enough experience to fill that role effectively. Will he choose to come to us? I think he might. I think even as back up we can guarantee him decent action in at least 30% of games due to our injuries.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Carl,

What was the "very heated exchange of words directly after the play off final between DJ and Boths" about? I assume DJ's tactics?

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm

More likely to be about Both having to leave the game early on.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:12 pm

SingaporeBlue wrote:Carl,

What was the "very heated exchange of words directly after the play off final between DJ and Boths" about? I assume DJ's tactics?

It was about Bothroyd's calf injury that he didn't mention all week then hours before kick off he said he is injured, DJ wanted Boths to have an injection and Boths refused then came off early, leaving DJ fuming.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:32 pm

carlccfc wrote:
SingaporeBlue wrote:Carl,

It was about Bothroyd's calf injury that he didn't mention all week then hours before kick off he said he is injured, DJ wanted Boths to have an injection and Boths refused then came off early, leaving DJ fuming.

Carl, i herd this story aswell. I posted on the subject a couple of weeks ago, [trying to find link].