Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

World cup qualifying

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Now I'm not proclaiming wales are world beaters.but do anyone think we would have a better chance of reaching the finals .if it was a world wide qualifying group instead of for us for just Europe based.

Re: World cup qualifying

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 pm

If we were in with san marino and chad and some other random shit teams we might :lol:

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 pm

no

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:21 am

Like all sports seeding is there to try and ensure the big names make the later stages. I think tV companies and authorities in believing that we all want to see the percived best teams all the time but TV companies willing to shell out the dosh rather than audiencies have something to do with it.

Wales and countries like us have very little chance to qualify and when they do like Slovenia they should be applauded. It will improve their seediong making it more likely they will be succesful in the future.

Look at our next group. England top 8 in the world very little chance of finishing above them
Swiss top 16/20. World under 19 champs I think and just beat Spain after being difficult to beat for many years
Bulgaria - on the wane but still a tad too much for us
Montenegro - up and coming and should have been in pot 3 or 4 not 5.

We could finish top - highly unlikely 2nd - just as unlikely 3rd or 4th possible 5th likely. Therefore our seeding goes down and will get equally as difficult groups.

We needed to get through in 94 or 2004 to improve seeding to improve chances. We need to get into pot 3 for 2016 as there will be 24 qualifiers from 53 starters.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:35 am

squashed grapes wrote:
We need to get into pot 3 for 2016 as there will be 24 qualifiers from 53 starters.

Don't mean to doubt you but is that accurate?

An almost 50/50 chance of getting through.That will lead to a hugely bloated tournament or will there be a regional knock out stage?

Got a link by any chance

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 am

Majorblue wrote:
squashed grapes wrote:
We need to get into pot 3 for 2016 as there will be 24 qualifiers from 53 starters.

Don't mean to doubt you but is that accurate?

An almost 50/50 chance of getting through.That will lead to a hugely bloated tournament or will there be a regional knock out stage?

Got a link by any chance

That is what I understand the pln to be. Not got a link but i am sure it has been mentioned before.

Forgive me if I am spreasding fall hope.