Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City's playoff chances

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:12 pm

If we were basing on our early performances such as the Bristol 3-0 win or the Derby 6-1 win then yes, there's no reason why we shouldn't or couldn't be in the top 6 in the Championship this season. Now, I find it hard to see how on earth we'd manage to get even close to sixth place with performances like ours against Plymouth yesterday, and you can't argue saying "But that was a one off!"

Cardiff-1-2-Ipswich 29, November
Barnsley-1-0-Cardiff 21, November
Sheff Wed-3-1-Cardiff 26, September

Now those are three fixtures against three teams that were at that point, and still are struggling to even get to a mid table position. If we are to even think of getting into the play-off's this campaign then these games are must-win fixtures that we can't just throw away because players like Bothroyd would prefer to spend 90% of the game complaining on the floor as opposed to actually putting a shift in for the fans, it's truly pathetic.
We know as well too much about this from last season that we can't throw away easy chances to get goals and wins because it all pays off at the end of the season when we're all saying, "If we only had that one more goal against....", "If we just turned up at that one game...," "If Eddie Johnson didn't give away the ball and let the other team score"

Okay, maybe not the last one but I still haven't recovered from that - as much of a hero Eddie was!. When we produce such terrible performances against such weak opposition you feel yourself leaving the Cardiff City Stadium wishing you didn't bother forking out on the money to go watch our players walk about aimlessly for 90 minutes while the fans shout all-sorts of abuse at them. It seems, though, that when Dave Jones' men pull-off an outstanding winning streak, like they have in the previous three games to Plymouth, that they then embark on an even longer losing streak, it always happens and I, for one, find myself always feeling dispirited every time it happens.

Now, if were to judge our players performances against Plymouth then there
are some surprises as Joseph Ledley (That guy who used to be good for us) actually had a decent game, man of the match in fact which flattered him as I thought Hudson was our stand out player (Again!) and deserved the title post-match.

Jay Bothroyd symbolised what annoys me and what the egg-chasers like to pick up on when they're making fun of ours sport, GET UP AND STOP WHINING. It seems as though if a raindrop fell from the roof of the CCS and landed softly on Bothroyd's bald head he'd dive to the floor like Tom Daley pleading to the ref he's wounded and can't go on. As our team commands the possession, there he is, sitting on the floor crying his eyes out because the Plymouth defence touched his leg a bit with their boots. Now, let's not get too angry at the guy because he's been a key player for us this season, maybe even our best, but he's got to stop this Ronaldo-esque style of football (Without the playing ability) and get on with the game and maybe, just maybe, he might score.

Michael Chopra, blimey, 4 million quid out of our pocket and what to we get? A player who had a terrific scoring run silencing many critics and just because he has 11 goals he thinks, "Bugger this, got enough goals I'm just going to walk around the pitch a bit and try and lob the keeper now and again." Please Chopra mate, not only our play-off chances but the sake of me losing my voice shouting how s*%£ you are, turn up to the game and do your bit. I'll agree that you've put the work-rate in but we need some goals out of you again, put you're boots back in the microwave because they certainly are not "On fire" any-more.

As for Hudson, I can't stress how much of a brilliant signing he has been, he had a rocky start but has actually become a complete rock in defence - absolutely superb.

I've said this before, I'll say it again - Drop Chopra and give McCormack his chance to shine against weak opposition like Plymouth and maybe his fighting spirit might grab us a cheeky win.

I personally think we can make the playoffs this season, I'd predict a 5th place finish and I have to silence some of the talk saying we'll be able to get automatic promotion because that's between The Albion and Forest - who may I say have been a very exciting watch this season!

I won't get too annoyed at the Plymouth performance, even the Swansea fans I know didn't really lay into me much, let's hope we get a win against now bottom of the table Peterbrough - but also bear in mind we don't have too good a record against the team at the bottom of the table.

Oh dear.

Taken from my blog http://geebaker.blogspot.com/

Re: Cardiff City's playoff chances

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:16 pm

As long as PR's Spin is not just spin and we buy players lol, then yes we should scrape 5th or 6th in My Opinion, but DJ always fucks up in My Opinion and only one promotion under his belt in the last 12 yrs says it all and over all, 2 in 18 years as a manager.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:As long as PR's Spin is not just spin and we buy players lol, then yes we should scrape 5th or 6th in My Opinion, but DJ always fucks up in My Opinion and only one promotion under his belt in the last 12 yrs says it all and over all, 2 in 18 years as a manager.

If we don't bring in someone in centre midfield or someone to challenge Bothroyd's place in the team then the work effort is just going to plummet like it did last season, Bothroyds already going towards his 'Bugger this I can't wait till I'm in the sun come summer' attitude.

I'm so surprised that the only department where we're strong is in defence, never thought I'd say that at the start of the season.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:22 pm

baker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:As long as PR's Spin is not just spin and we buy players lol, then yes we should scrape 5th or 6th in My Opinion, but DJ always fucks up in My Opinion and only one promotion under his belt in the last 12 yrs says it all and over all, 2 in 18 years as a manager.

If we don't bring in someone in centre midfield or someone to challenge Bothroyd's place in the team then the work effort is just going to plummet like it did last season, Bothroyds already going towards his 'Bugger this I can't wait till I'm in the sun come summer' attitude.

I'm so surprised that the only department where we're strong is in defence, never thought I'd say that at the start of the season.

Baker spot on with the players we need and if we dont get them its bye bye play offs.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
baker wrote:

Baker spot on with the players we need and if we dont get them its bye bye play offs.

If we don't bring in any players come January look on the bright side: at least we'll know we won't be in the play-off's sooner than later, better than finding out in the 80th minute in Hillsbrough. :lol:

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:55 pm

Good post mate im torn between the Chopra Mcormack debate. Yes Chopra has 11 goals but his work rate is fantastic and he is due to go on another goal spree just wait and see.
As for Ross i think he is a fantastic player for whom ive rated since he got here but his confidence is also shot after so long without a goal (Ninian was still standing then). But he also deserves a start.
Personaly i would put Whitts in the centre i think he would do fantastic there on his present form and put Ross out wide with Burkey on the other side and Etutu on the bench who could cover either wing or up front.
As Anniw would say but thats just my opinion :lol: 8-)