Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ARMED FORCES DAY CARDIFF.Saturday 26th June 2010.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:39 pm

I've got no time for the royals or the politicians but I respect what the Armed Forces do for us all.

Cardiff hosts Armed Forces Day 2010
Cardiff is the venue for this year’s Armed Forces Day national event which will attract many thousands of visitors there to show their support for the Armed Forces community.

The day-long celebrations will begin with a Military Parade from the castle, through the city and on to Cardiff Bay and the city’s waterfront, where a range of events, activities and artistic performances will be staged on land, sea and air to entertain visitors throughout the day. The Parade will be led by TRH The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

The evening will see a free concert on the Arena Stage featuring Classical Brit award winners Only Men Aloud and vocal trio The Soldiers.

Lord Mayor of Cardiff, Cllr Keith Hyde, said:

Cardiff is proud to host this year’s Armed Forces Day, giving the people of Wales and the many visitors expected in the capital the opportunity to add our voice to some of the country’s best known celebrities in honouring our Armed Forces.

The public can also ‘Salute their Support’ for Armed Forces Day Cardiff by simply taking a photograph of themselves saluting, and uploading it onto the dedicated National Event Armed Forces Day websitehttp://www.armedforcesdaycardiff.co.uk

Armed Forces Day Cardiff will include:

•a spectacular Military Parade through the streets of Cardiff to the waterfront
•a traditional Drumhead Service in Roald Dahl Plass
•Fly-overs by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the Red Arrows and Helicopter Formation
•Arena Displays in Roald Dahl Plass including the Royal Marine Commando Display Team, and the Royal Marine Band
•Static Military Displays representing all of the armed forces throughout Cardiff Bay
•Search and Rescue Sea King Rescue Display on the water
•the opportunity to go aboard HMS Kent docked in Roath Basin for the weekend
•an evening of stage performances featuring The Soldiers and Only Men Aloud
•a firework finale over the waters of Cardiff Bay.
For more information on the national event visit http://www.armedforcesdaycardiff.co.uk.

Re: ARMED FORCES DAY CARDIFF.Saturday 26th June 2010.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:40 pm

stop pretending to support our troops, youll be in your bedroom wanking over karl marxs book :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:43 pm

cardiffray wrote:stop pretending to support our troops, youll be in your bedroom wanking over karl marxs book :ayatollah:

Nah mate, glamorous grannies. :old:

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:18 pm

The Oppressed - Remember. (2008)

Remember how not long ago, the battlelines were drawn.
When evil men stood side by side and fascism was born.
Remember how the young men fought, the tens of millions dead.
When fascism crawled out of hell and raised it's ugly head.

Always remember, and never forget.
Always remember, remember the threat.
Always remember, remember the pain.
Always remember, never again.
Never again.

Mothers tell your children, about the price they paid.
Tell them of the blood they spilt, the sacrifices made.
If we don't learn from history, the lesson will be lost.
The same mistakes we'll make again, our kids will pay the cost.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:53 am

Really looking forward to this event, but when I googled it yesterday for times etc Bristol Indymedia website came up with their sordid little plans about having a counter protest, and how they could angle it, so they wouldnt look too bad.

If they do Roddy, I look forward to seeing you there with me telling then to f**k off.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 am

mutie wrote:Really looking forward to this event, but when I googled it yesterday for times etc Bristol Indymedia website came up with their sordid little plans about having a counter protest, and how they could angle it, so they wouldnt look too bad.

If they do Roddy, I look forward to seeing you there with me telling then to f**k off.

Whatever happened to the free speech argument that was used to allow the EDL to march?

if we are going to have a day where we celebrate how good this country is at going to war with other countries and killing people, you would expect people to protest - especially as we have just gone through a period of conflicts with very dubious legality and seriously dodgy hidden agendas.

Given that we have just spent seven years illegally occupying iraq and killing tens of thousands in the process, you cant expect to flaunt our military might without a lot of people getting pretty pissed off. And as is constantly bleated out on here, 'our troops went to war to protect our right to free speech', so it would be a little ironic to complain when people speak out against the war machine rolling into town as if it was some sort of glorified circus.

Many individual servicemen have been extremely brave in recent years and they deserve some respect, but the recent wars are not something we should be proud of, quite the opposite - that is not the soldiers fault, it is the governments fault. Hence my protest will take the form of staying well away.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:07 am

I will be supporting the armed services day

and as always giving to help for heroes

but I dont like the edl

that must make me a muslim bomber supporter !

you cant win with some of the clowns out there

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:39 pm

joe_public wrote:
mutie wrote:Really looking forward to this event, but when I googled it yesterday for times etc Bristol Indymedia website came up with their sordid little plans about having a counter protest, and how they could angle it, so they wouldnt look too bad.

Whatever happened to the free speech argument that was used to allow the EDL to march?

if we are going to have a day where we celebrate how good this country is at going to war with other countries and killing people, you would expect people to protest - especially as we have just gone through a period of conflicts with very dubious legality and seriously dodgy hidden agendas.

Given that we have just spent seven years illegally occupying iraq and killing tens of thousands in the process, you cant expect to flaunt our military might without a lot of people getting pretty pissed off. And as is constantly bleated out on here, 'our troops went to war to protect our right to free speech', so it would be a little ironic to complain when people speak out against the war machine rolling into town as if it was some sort of glorified circus.

Many individual servicemen have been extremely brave in recent years and they deserve some respect, but the recent wars are not something we should be proud of, quite the opposite - that is not the soldiers fault, it is the governments fault. Hence my protest will take the form of staying well away.

you have made your point and thats your right as a british citizen, but dont forget the armed forces are there to protect that right. dont forget all the positive things they do like when they are sent to disaster areas all over the world to offer aid. i'l be the next saturday to cheer them on

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Yes mate I'll be there with mates and if people wanna protest the war let them take it to Downing Street where it belongs.