Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' WE DONE WHAT NEEDED DOING - WHAT'S THE ISSUE ? '

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:22 pm

' WE DONE WHAT NEEDED DOING - WHAT'S THE ISSUE ? '

We totally dominated the game today, 77% possession, 27 shots and we won !!

I ask people again to think back to the start of the season and try and remember what your expectations were !

Personally I didn't think we would be in with a shout of a play off place, ok I admit that recent results have not gone the way we have hoped, or even expected, but it doesn't change the fact we are going to Sheffield Wednesday next week with something to play for.

City started brightly and it was a free kick against the run of play that shell shocked not only David Marshall but the crowd as well but the team kept plugging away during the first half but couldn't find that goal despite their efforts.

Slade played Zohore, which many wanted to see happen, he made a substitution that many thought he wasn't capable of doing, he took off a centre half and replaced him with a winger, albeit City were playing against 10 men but anyone who has played or watched football before will understand that playing against 10 men, especially a side who are already 1-0 up, is not always the best thing to happen.

Sheffield Wenesday dropped two points and we won, very little has changed, we still have to go to Wednesday and win and then follow that up against Birmingham the week later and hope, pray and cross everything we can that Wolves do us a favour and take points off Wednesday.

It is still on, it is still as difficult as it was at midday but we have done what we needed to do and got the win, elsewhere the result that mattered went our way, maybe it is fate but while there is a chance I will still be positive.

Had we won 5 or 6 nil today, we would still have to go to Wednesday and win, we would still need to beat Birmingham on the final day.

It wasn't pretty, it was tense this afternoon but for those who saw players like Noone celebrate at the final whistle will know there is still fight left in the players.

Can we go to Wednesday and win ?

Who knows but I would rather be going there with a chance than nothing at all, and at the start of the season I didn't believe we would be going to Hillsborough with a possibility still of making the play offs.

Re: ' WE DONE WHAT NEEDED DOING - WHAT'S THE ISSUE ? '

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:29 pm

Looking at the bigger picture good post Carl. :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:36 pm

I think a lot of people had low expectations because they had next to no faith in slade. He is doing much better than expected but for me still not good enough.

Would he have played Zohore if Immers was fit? I doubt it but who knows but it takes him weeks to see the change people see within the 90mins.

Those stats ain't going to impress many when it's against bottom club Bolton with 10 men. As you say playing against 10 men can be tough but possession and off target shots are a minimal expectation.

We are though still in with a shout, so bring on Wednesday, it's football so expect the unexpected :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Right, for one week only, i'm getting behind Slade and I ai'nt going to slate him during this coming week. In return I expect him to get his team selection right, his tactics right, get his substitutions right and more importantly, give the players lots of shooting practice. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:50 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:Right, for one week only, i'm getting behind Slade and I ai'nt going to slate him during this coming week. In return I expect him to get his team selection right, his tactics right, get his substitutions right and more importantly, give the players lots of shooting practice. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

:thumbup: :bluebird:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:51 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I think a lot of people had low expectations because they had next to no faith in slade. He is doing much better than expected but for me still not good enough.

Would he have played Zohore if Immers was fit? I doubt it but who knows but it takes him weeks to see the change people see within the 90mins.

Those stats ain't going to impress many when it's against bottom club Bolton with 10 men. As you say playing against 10 men can be tough but possession and off target shots are a minimal expectation.

We are though still in with a shout, so bring on Wednesday, it's football so expect the unexpected :ayatollah:

As you said Luke, it is still possible so while it is we can still believe and support :bluescarf:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Spot on with that post Carl. Exactly what 99% of people thought at start of season :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:53 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Carl, you're a seasoned football supporter. Look at what is going on on the pitch, the shape of the team, the style of play, the game management, and tell me that things are good?

Short term, yes we go into the final two games with something to play for and that's great. But I'm looking at the bigger picture, and with Slade in control of the first team, it's not a pretty picture at all.

We've made 7th place this season despite Slade, not because of him.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Well said we still have a chance allways believe stayed until the end today did not enter my head to leave before the final whistle and was rewarded with the whitts pen but we have to start better Marshall was great as allways saved us a few times went through all the emotions today what ever the result against Wednesday I'll be there for brum here's to you Peter whittingham city loves you more than you will know :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:08 pm

carlccfc wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I think a lot of people had low expectations because they had next to no faith in slade. He is doing much better than expected but for me still not good enough.

As you said Luke, it is still possible so while it is we can still believe and support :bluescarf:

Hell yeah, we have had it happen to us under DJ where only a miracle would stop us making the playoffs and we know what happened :evil: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:09 pm

I expected playoffs with the squad we have especially with the positions we've found ourselves in.

Anything less is a failure that can be laid squarely at the feet of our manager.

Anyone who disagrees can look at results over the last 2 week.s

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Hell yeah, we have had it happen to us under DJ where only a miracle would stop us making the playoffs and we know what happened :evil: :ayatollah:

a thursday night out until 3am and taxi driver striker - not sure that culture is in the club anymore - fans yes :laughing6:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Aramore wrote:I expected playoffs with the squad we have especially with the positions we've found ourselves in.

Anything less is a failure that can be laid squarely at the feet of our manager.

Agree with that but still in it for now.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:11 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Aramore wrote:I expected playoffs with the squad we have especially with the positions we've found ourselves in.

Agree with that but still in it for now.

Of course, will hold back the ire until after it's decided one way or another.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:25 pm

arri potta wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

a thursday night out until 3am and taxi driver striker - not sure that culture is in the club anymore - fans yes :laughing6:

Lol point was it happens and may happen in our favour :lol:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Of course Ivwant the play offs But we are even struggling to make 6th place

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Of course Ivwant the play offs But we are even struggling to make 6th place

Come on mun Annis, let's keep this this topic positive. ;)

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:10 pm

Football is a results business and we won 2-1.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:24 pm

We were shit today proves how lex immers is the key to the way we play hope he's back for next week

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:00 pm

27 shots but only 8 on target which I remember one shot was going out for a throw in before one of our players got to it. And another a shot that was weaker than a back pass which gently rolled into the keepers arms :laughing6: Statistics is a bit hit and miss in my opinion. The fact is for much of the game game despite our possession (short passes sideways forwards and back to where they started) we did not even look like scoring. Yes we won but ugly wasn't the word for it. And I got to say had Bolton kept 11 players on the pitch I am sure we would have lost. We are awful on the eye to watch it's mind numbing at times.
So for me those are the issues yes we won but that performance we saw today is what we saw when we lost to Fulham and Brentford etc.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:27 shots but only 8 on target which I remember one shot was going out for a throw in before one of our players got to it. And another a shot that was weaker than a back pass which gently rolled into the keepers arms :laughing6: Statistics is a bit hit and miss in my opinion. The fact is for much of the game game despite our possession (short passes sideways forwards and back to where they started) we did not even look like scoring. Yes we won but ugly wasn't the word for it. And I got to say had Bolton kept 11 players on the pitch I am sure we would have lost. We are awful on the eye to watch it's mind numbing at times.
So for me those are the issues yes we won but that performance we saw today is what we saw when we lost to Fulham and Brentford etc.

Tend to agree, it's easy to say a wins a win.

However today it was all that mattered. Whatever happens at least we go into next week with something. I don't think anyone honestly wants Slade as manager next season.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:22 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:27 shots but only 8 on target which I remember one shot was going out for a throw in before one of our players got to it. And another a shot that was weaker than a back pass which gently rolled into the keepers arms :laughing6: Statistics is a bit hit and miss in my opinion. The fact is for much of the game game despite our possession (short passes sideways forwards and back to where they started) we did not even look like scoring. Yes we won but ugly wasn't the word for it. And I got to say had Bolton kept 11 players on the pitch I am sure we would have lost. We are awful on the eye to watch it's mind numbing at times.

Tend to agree, it's easy to say a wins a win.

However today it was all that mattered. Whatever happens at least we go into next week with something. I don't think anyone honestly wants Slade as manager next season.

Yes a wins a win but I just can't help feel its prolonging the inevitable. To beat Sheffield Wed we need to play ten times better and I don't believe the team has got it in them. Ohh ain't I Mr doom and gloom :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:58 pm

I think Sheffield Wednesday are the better team but this is football, its rarely fair and usually had a surpise.

It's in desperate hope more than anything and no mayyrt what Slade needs replacing

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Whilst at this time of season results matter more than performances today's was typical of our season so far and reason why not in playoffs. That's the issue for fans :old:

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:24 am

My expectations were alot lower than what we've achieved and for that I applaud Slade, but I 100% believe he has taken as far as he can go.

Please dont tell me taking off a centre half for a winger to play the poor guy right back is a good move. He should of taken off the spinless Maloney went with 3 Centre backs chucked Harris and Noone out wide and went with Whitts and Okeefe through the middle with Lawrence playing off Pilkington.

We were let off the hook and that is the bottom line. Yes we had enough chances to kill the game off but Bolton also had their chances to make it game over.

On a whole we've had a very good season, it's been very pleasing to be in with a shout and its more than I would ever expected, but lets be honest Sheff Weds have dropped alot of points at the business end of the season and we have failed to make the most of opportunity.

We were branded bottlers under Jones, well we have missed numerous opportunities under Slade this season. He may have got us where we are but I question his credentials of taking us that step further.

Yes Ill be there at Sheffield, BlueArmy !

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:32 am

GotMeSingingTheBlues wrote:My expectations were alot lower than what we've achieved and for that I applaud Slade, but I 100% believe he has taken as far as he can go.

Please dont tell me taking off a centre half for a winger to play the poor guy right back is a good move. He should of taken off the spinless Maloney went with 3 Centre backs chucked Harris and Noone out wide and went with Whitts and Okeefe through the middle with Lawrence playing off Pilkington and THE DONUT THAT IS AMEOBI.

We were let off the hook and that is the bottom line. Yes we had enough chances to kill the game off but Bolton also had their chances to make it game over.

On a whole we've had a very good season, it's been very pleasing to be in with a shout and its more than I would ever expected, but lets be honest Sheff Weds have dropped alot of points at the business end of the season and we have failed to make the most of opportunity.

We were branded bottlers under Jones, well we have missed numerous opportunities under Slade this season. He may have got us where we are but I question his credentials of taking us that step further.

Yes Ill be there at Sheffield, BlueArmy !

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:35 am

I said at the start of the season that if we showed progress under Slade this season then I would be happy. To be honest, it has exceeded my expectations. The club has improved on and off the pitch so whether we make the play-offs or not this season has to be regarded as a very positive one. One of the best in recent memory. :bluescarf: