Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A PS TO MY DAVE JONES POSTING OF YESTERDAY

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:11 pm

So the dust has settled on the London Road fiasco that was supposed to be a football match between a relegation-bound Peterbro and an aspiring Cardiff City team but I dare say that both the anger over that performance and demand for action from Peter Ridsdale has not receded amongst City fans. For I don't know how many times in his reign DJ, when cornered by hacks, his last throw of the dice is as predictable as his 4-4-2 formation: "The players this ..." "They didn't that ..." You can't distance yourself from your troops. Imagine Montgomery during WWII saying such. You know I still haven't watched my copy of the Stoke (h) Play-Off defeat yet and I think it will be as long a time before I muster the resources to watch Dave's after-match comments from Monday.

I don't wish to say I told you so, but for a number of years my views on Mr Jones,the manager, have not changed. What has is that there is now such a ground swell of opinion against our present leader that unless Mr Ridsdale takes decisive action, and soon, then any further iffy results will make DJs' position completely and utterly untenable and, sadly, an open revolt from the fans could follow. This I would not wish upon DJ for even he deserves to be treated with dignity, particularly after the shocking events he and his family have had to come through in their private lives.

Decisive action can still be done with dignity. Jonsey has done well, in very difficult times, but, I believe, he has taken us as far as he can. For that what he has done I say, and PR needs to say, "Thank you Dave, I appreciate everything you have done for this Club but the time has come for fresh ideas."

So where does that leave Cardiff City FC? Some say Mark Hughes but he, too, hit his peak after the victory over Italy and, high and dry in his own prison of 4-5-1, was found wanting on the international stage. Who can forget when losing to Russia, in a match we needed to win, he brought on Earnshaw but consigned him to play on the right in an unchanging 5-man midfield. Managers in their fifties are not for me; they think everything is as it was 20 years ago. But the game has moved on! For this reason Curbishley and Coppell are not for me either. Alex Ferguson, and only a few others, keep that hunger for victory alive in their latter years. We need a hungry young man who is not affraid to stand up to some of our prima-donas. Whether that means a 40-something manager in his own right or a 30-something track-suited eager beaver with an older head as his Number 2 I don't know. But this Club, these players need new ideas. Dave Jones, sadly, is not the person who can deliver that.

StT.

Re: A PS TO MY DAVE JONES POSTING OF YESTERDAY

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Darren Ferguson.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:16 pm

another good post mr tea, who would you suggest

personally i would not mind the waiter coming here(wait for the backlash) he is young and has a good football vision

and soon to be sacked at wigan(i have been reliably informed) or a young mr ferguson

who is your choice???

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:another good post mr tea, who would you suggest

personally i would not mind the waiter coming here(wait for the backlash) he is young and has a good football vision

and soon to be sacked at wigan(i have been reliably informed) or a young mr ferguson

who is your choice???

I would drive up to Wigan; pay for a 5-star meal; bring him down and introduce him to the passion of a real-Club and tell him: "Refuse me if you dare!"

StT.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Steve the Tea TM (c) wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote:another good post mr tea, who would you suggest

who is your choice???

I would drive up to Wigan; pay for a 5-star meal; bring him down and introduce him to the passion of a real-Club and tell him: "Refuse me if you dare!"

StT.

and stop on the way down to watch 3 strippers and a chance to steal their pants :lol: :oops:

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Martinez> You must be kidding.

And I disagree about Hughes peaking at Italy game.

He made good progress with a relegation bound Blackburn on a budget, which got him the Man City Job, which he was performing above what was expected. His treatment is pantomome from a board and owner who are clueless.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:37 pm

Managers in their fifties are not for me; they think everything is as it was 20 years ago.

I call b*ll*cks on this also, Roy Hodgson seems to be doing alright.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:40 pm

BlooDan wrote:Martinez> You must be kidding.

And I disagree about Hughes peaking at Italy game.

He made good progress with a relegation bound Blackburn on a budget, which got him the Man City Job, which he was performing above what was expected. His treatment is pantomome from a board and owner who are clueless.

What happened after the italy game?

On a budget? How much do you think they bought Santa Cruz for? Blackburn were hardly paupers!

Board and owner of Man City clueless? Sure. I mean, not like Man City's defence has been abysmal. Not like Hughes wanted Dunne sold and brought in, errm, Lescott...

Hughes is at best an average manager. The fact that Man City showed a massive performance in play after ONE game managed by Mancini is telling.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Lescott, going on the previous season, was the best option available. Didn't work and there weren't too many people disagreeing that Dunne was probably past it at the time and he let him go because he wanted first team football. If I remember rightly.

Judging Mancini's Man City after one game is even more absurd than judging Hughes' half way through the season.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:57 pm

If Lescott was the best option, it'll be fun laughing at England in the world cup!

There were a fair few scratching their heads at Dunne going, a consistently good defender.

Man City, under Hughes have looked lifeless for quite a while. The play last night was like night and day - good incisive movement, playing like a team.

The fact is, Hughes refused a new coach coming in, preferring to retain his little Taffia buddies around like Bowen. The owner and board, clueless in your view, clearly recognised flaws in Sparky's management, offered a step to allow him to continue. The fact he refused, made a rod for his own back. Hughes position was untenable a while back, he'd lost the dressing room big time. Bellamy being upset, well, that was legit, a lot of the rest posturing, soon forgotten as a better manager came in.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:27 pm

well I have to concede you intimate knowledge of the dressing room situation at Man City. No arguing with that is there, you know that he lost the dressing room in as strong a FACT as to use it to back up your opinion of Hughes.

You go up to Manchester a lot do you? Must be great mixing with all them board members telling you how they offered Hughes this and that help.

Me I'll just stick with my very real observations that as a coach and manager he has done well wherever he's been. Those are the sorts of FACTS which form my opinions.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:04 pm

BlooDan wrote:Lescott, going on the previous season, was the best option available. Didn't work and there weren't too many people disagreeing that Dunne was probably past it at the time and he let him go because he wanted first team football. If I remember rightly.

Judging Mancini's Man City after one game is even more absurd than judging Hughes' half way through the season.

Lescott is barely Championship standard and how much was it Hughes paid for him? £20m+? The improvement under Mancini has been noticeable after just 2 games. And what has he had to do? According to Sky last night he's concentrated with defensive play.

StT.