Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" DO YOU THINK THAT RELIGION IS THE CAUSE "

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Of Most of ALL THE HATRED IN THIS WORLD ?

Personally I have No problem what Religion Anyone is, What ever Country I Visit, I Respect their Religion and their Laws and I Abide by them.

I have No Problem if Your Protestant/Catholic/ Muslim or any other Religion.

Is Britain mainly a Christian Country ?
Does anyone know the % ?

Re: " DO YOU THINK THAT RELIGION IS THE CAUSE "

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:06 pm

There are 37.3 million people in England and Wales who state their religion as Christian. The percentage of Christians is similar between the two countries but the proportion of people who follow other religions is 6.0 per cent in England compared with 1.5 per cent in Wales.

In England, 3.1 per cent of the population state their religion as Muslim (0.7 per cent in Wales), making this the most common religion after Christianity.

For other religions, 1.1 per cent in England and 0.2 per cent in Wales are Hindu, 0.7 per cent in England and 0.1 per cent in Wales are Sikh, 0.5 per cent in England and 0.1 per cent in Wales are Jewish and 0.3 per cent in England and 0.2 per cent in Wales are Buddhist.

In England and Wales 7.7 million people state they have no religion (14.6 per cent in England and 18.5 per cent in Wales).

The English region with the highest proportion of Christians is the North East (80.1 per cent). London has the highest proportion of Muslims (8.5 per cent), Hindus (4.1 per cent) Jews (2.1 per cent) Buddhists (0.8 per cent) and people of other religions (0.5 per cent).

Fifty-eight per cent of people in London gave their religion as Christian, with the highest proportion in the borough of Havering (76 per cent). Thirty-six per cent of the population of Tower Hamlets and 24 per cent in Newham are Muslim. Over one per cent of the population of Westminster are Buddhist, while Harrow has the highest proportion of Hindus (19.6 per cent) and Barnet the highest proportion of Jewish people (14.8 per cent). Over eight per cent of the populations of Hounslow and Ealing are Sikh.

Sixteen per cent of the population of London say they have no religion, including 25 per cent in the City of London.

Outside London, the counties with the highest proportion of Christians are Durham, Merseyside and Cumbria, each with 82 per cent or more. The districts with the highest proportions of Christians are all in the North West: St Helens, Wigan and Copeland (Cumbria) each have 86 per cent or more.

The district with the highest proportion of Sikhs is Slough. One person in seven of the population of Leicester is Hindu. One person in nine of the population of Hertsmere in Hertfordshire, is Jewish. Over one per cent of the population of Cambridge are Buddhist. Brighton and Hove has most people stating other religions (0.8 per cent).

The districts with the highest proportions of people with no religion are Norwich, Brighton and Hove and Cambridge, all with over one-quarter.

In Wales, the highest proportion of Christians is found on the Isle of Anglesey (79 per cent) and the fewest in Blaenau Gwent (64 per cent). Rhonnda, Cynon, Taff has the highest proportion with no religion (25 per cent). Cardiff has the highest proportion of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Jews. Ceredigion has the highest proportions of Buddhists and people of other religions.

At the time the Census was carried out, there was an internet campaign that encouraged people to answer the religion question "Jedi Knight". The number of people who stated Jedi was 390,000 (0.7 per cent of the population).

The religion question was voluntary, and 4,011,000 people chose not answer it (7.7 per cent).

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001 ... p#religion

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:07 pm

Yes Relidgeon has always been the biggest cause of wars in history.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:08 pm

BlooDan wrote:There are 37.3 million people in England and Wales who state their religion as Christian. The percentage of Christians is similar between the two countries but the proportion of people who follow other religions is 6.0 per cent in England compared with 1.5 per cent in Wales.

In England, 3.1 per cent of the population state their religion as Muslim (0.7 per cent in Wales), making this the most common religion after Christianity.

For other religions, 1.1 per cent in England and 0.2 per cent in Wales are Hindu, 0.7 per cent in England and 0.1 per cent in Wales are Sikh, 0.5 per cent in England and 0.1 per cent in Wales are Jewish and 0.3 per cent in England and 0.2 per cent in Wales are Buddhist.

In England and Wales 7.7 million people state they have no religion (14.6 per cent in England and 18.5 per cent in Wales).

The English region with the highest proportion of Christians is the North East (80.1 per cent). London has the highest proportion of Muslims (8.5 per cent), Hindus (4.1 per cent) Jews (2.1 per cent) Buddhists (0.8 per cent) and people of other religions (0.5 per cent).

Fifty-eight per cent of people in London gave their religion as Christian, with the highest proportion in the borough of Havering (76 per cent). Thirty-six per cent of the population of Tower Hamlets and 24 per cent in Newham are Muslim. Over one per cent of the population of Westminster are Buddhist, while Harrow has the highest proportion of Hindus (19.6 per cent) and Barnet the highest proportion of Jewish people (14.8 per cent). Over eight per cent of the populations of Hounslow and Ealing are Sikh.

Sixteen per cent of the population of London say they have no religion, including 25 per cent in the City of London.

Outside London, the counties with the highest proportion of Christians are Durham, Merseyside and Cumbria, each with 82 per cent or more. The districts with the highest proportions of Christians are all in the North West: St Helens, Wigan and Copeland (Cumbria) each have 86 per cent or more.

The district with the highest proportion of Sikhs is Slough. One person in seven of the population of Leicester is Hindu. One person in nine of the population of Hertsmere in Hertfordshire, is Jewish. Over one per cent of the population of Cambridge are Buddhist. Brighton and Hove has most people stating other religions (0.8 per cent).

The districts with the highest proportions of people with no religion are Norwich, Brighton and Hove and Cambridge, all with over one-quarter.

In Wales, the highest proportion of Christians is found on the Isle of Anglesey (79 per cent) and the fewest in Blaenau Gwent (64 per cent). Rhonnda, Cynon, Taff has the highest proportion with no religion (25 per cent). Cardiff has the highest proportion of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Jews. Ceredigion has the highest proportions of Buddhists and people of other religions.

At the time the Census was carried out, there was an internet campaign that encouraged people to answer the religion question "Jedi Knight". The number of people who stated Jedi was 390,000 (0.7 per cent of the population).

The religion question was voluntary, and 4,011,000 people chose not answer it (7.7 per cent).

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001 ... p#religion

Cheers BlooDan :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:10 pm

No probs

Surprised how few people stated "no religion"

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:14 pm

BlooDan wrote:No probs

Surprised how few people stated "no religion"

That has Shocked me too.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Of Most of ALL THE HATRED IN THIS WORLD ?

Personally I have No problem what Religion Anyone is, What ever Country I Visit, I Respect their Religion and their Laws and I Abide by them.

Does anyone know the % ?

It's extremists that are the main problem in my opinion-especially the islamic and jewish ones.

I do think that schools should be non denominational. What particularly gets me is the islamic/jewish faith schools paid for by us tax payers. If people want their kids educated in a faith setting they should pay for it.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Personally I don't believe in any Religion, but don't have a problem with those who do. The Muslim people I've met whilst in their Country (Turkey for example) have always been polite and helpful. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Really interesting Dan :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:16 pm

2001 census;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_i ... ed_Kingdom

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Marc wrote:Personally I don't believe in any Religion, but don't have a problem with those who do. The Muslim people I've met whilst in their Country (Turkey for example) have always been polite and helpful. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Marc
I found The Turks were very polite and made us very Welcome :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Does anyone know the % ?

It's extremists that are the main problem in my opinion-especially the islamic and jewish ones.

I do think that schools should be non denominational. What particularly gets me is the islamic/jewish faith schools paid for by us tax payers. If people want their kids educated in a faith setting they should pay for it.

Gareth, Excellent point and I agree :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Marc wrote:Personally I don't believe in any Religion, but don't have a problem with those who do. The Muslim people I've met whilst in their Country (Turkey for example) have always been polite and helpful. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Working with kids the Indian people (regardless of religion) have a real work ethic and are lovely people. The vast majority of migrants i deal with are Polish. Most are catholics and have a good work ethic.

In my opinion 95% of people are decent. 5% are utter scum and that includes whites, blacks, muslims, christians, atheists etc...

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Gosh, too many words for me, and information,to much for me to take in and why do need such statistics ?I say live and let live.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Without doubt religion is behind most wars and will be for many years to come. Why because most religions are chalk and cheese to each other. You only have to look at the 2 mainstream to see why:

1. Christians preach Jesus was the Son of God and still is. Muslims only believe he was a prophet and a failed one at that.

2. Centre to Christianity is the Holy Trinity, God, Holy Spirit and Son being the same. This idealogy is denied within the Muslim faith.

3. Isreal being perhaps the obvious difference. Christianity teaches about God chosen people the Jews rejecting the Messiah Jesus who will return to Jersualem to prove them all wrong. Islam rejects this totally and is why all Arab/Muslim contries are at war with Isreal.

These religions will never see eye to eye but will grow amongst each other. Hence why there will always be trouble and this is confirmed when you look into what they believe more deeply.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Working with kids the Indian people (regardless of religion) have a real work ethic and are lovely people. The vast majority of migrants i deal with are Polish. Most are catholics and have a good work ethic.

In my opinion 95% of people are decent. 5% are utter scum and that includes whites, blacks, muslims, christians, atheists etc...

Totally agree with you Gareth, personally I don't care if someone's white, black, pink, purple, gay, straight, muslim, christain etc..We're on this amazing planet for a a very short time, so don't see the point in wasting time in concerning myself with other peoples lifestyle choices. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Marc wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Totally agree with you Gareth, personally I don't care if someone's white, black, pink, purple, gay, straight, muslim, christain etc..We're on this amazing planet for a a very short time, so don't see the point in wasting time in concerning myself with other peoples lifestyle choices. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I do have a slightly different view on the jbs! :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was waiting for that one Gareth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:47 pm

People cause wars. Nothing else.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Marc wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I was waiting for that one Gareth :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm predictable if nothing else. Not keen on wurzels either....... :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Does anyone know the % ?

Pro-rata, they do? They pay taxes as well you know....

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Does anyone know the % ?

All I will say Annis is that Britain wont be mainly Christian for much longer. Just my opinion

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:23 pm

FISH. wrote:

Does anyone know the % ?

All I will say Annis is that Britain wont be mainly Christian for much longer. Just my opinion

If you read the stats provided by BlooDan, you would see that you just made a silly statement there Fish.
I appreciate that it was your opinion, but if only 1.5% of the Welsh population is any other religion, how is it not going to be mainly Christian for much longer???

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Sorry Claire, I only read the first post by Annis.

Britain is becoming multi cultural, prehaps I exaggerated the "not much longer".

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:38 pm

FISH. wrote:Sorry Claire, I only read the first post by Annis.

Britain is becoming multi cultural, prehaps I exaggerated the "not much longer".

:lol:

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Claire wrote:
FISH. wrote:Sorry Claire, I only read the first post by Annis.

:lol:

I have to admit I was shocked by the figures

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Does anyone know the % ?

I agree that it is (the very small minority of) extremists of all religions that cause nearly all the problems and cause people to react (wrongly) to all people of that faith. Christian fundamentalists can be as bad as any - remember the Oklahoma bombing and how many people that killed? And so called Christians supported apartheid in South Africa .

On faith schools , do you have the same view on Catholic schools as Islamic and Jewish ones? Aren`t they just as expensive to taxpayers not sharing that faith?

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:56 pm

On faith schools , do you have the same view on Catholic schools as Islamic and Jewish ones? Aren`t they just as expensive to taxpayers not sharing that faith?[/quote]
I do share the view however non faith schools will not happen. Personally i'd rather work in a non-faith school having experienced both. I have 4 kids-2 of whom attended a faith school (no other choice). Given the choice i'd send to non-faith.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:07 pm

One day every country will be a secular and when it is that generation will wonder why wasn't it done years before? Religion is inhertantly evil and does nothing but divide people along radical lines.

I am a proud atheist and I reject all claims that we owe our existance to a higher deitey i.e. God.

In fact I become very angry when I see the brian washing of children in schools who are fed crap about the 'greatness' of Jesus/God when the world is full of war and death in their name.

Indeed the other week when I won £10 on the lottery my daughter said we should 'thank Jesus' I was livid but what can you do when schools and religion exploit the young in such a way?

It is absolutely disgusting and wrong.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:One day every country will be a secular and when it is that generation will wonder why wasn't it done years before? Religion is inhertantly evil and does nothing but divide people along radical lines.

I am a proud atheist and I reject all claims that we owe our existance to a higher deitey i.e. God.

In fact I become very angry when I see the brian washing of children in schools who are fed crap about the 'greatness' of Jesus/God when the world is full of war and death in their name.

Indeed the other week when I won £10 on the lottery my daughter said we should 'thank Jesus' I was livid but what can you do when schools and religion exploit the young in such a way?

It is absolutely disgusting and wrong.

Agree 100% with Tony, religion is holding the human race back in my opinion. I also find it unbelievable that schools in the UK are allowed to teach a creationism version of science rather than evolution, the school 'foundations' policy is likely to see an increase in this as well.

Of course people are entitled to their religious beliefs and I respect those who have faith, but religion needs to have all it's power and influence removed from education and govt in this country.

Religions and their gods should have the same status in society as morris dancing and the tooth fairy, quaint old customs that are part of our heritage but not something we ought to be basing education or defence policy on.