Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Job advice needed

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:11 pm

I just graduated from Uni with a degree in History and Politics. Looking to get an office job. I have had a good look but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Has anyone used any good job websites recently? Anyone now of any jobs going? Long shot I know. But you know us students, desperate to work :lol:

Thanks guys

Re: Job advice needed

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:16 pm

Try the gumtree website mate, may'be you'll have to look a little further afield, good luck with your search :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:28 pm

PhatFrog wrote:I just graduated from Uni with a degree in History and Politics. Looking to get an office job. I have had a good look but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Has anyone used any good job websites recently? Anyone now of any jobs going? Long shot I know. But you know us students, desperate to work :lol:

Thanks guys

There's plenty of 'office jobs' out there if you look, why don't you go for a job that actually involves History or Politics, or aren't there any around, if not what made you decide that would be a good investment of 3 years studying? :old:

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:42 pm

I've just got myself an office job down in Swansea for the rest of the summer.

In an office full of jacks aswell ha ha :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I used GOWALES, give it a try fella!

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:53 pm

joncandy wrote:
PhatFrog wrote:I just graduated from Uni with a degree in History and Politics. Looking to get an office job. I have had a good look but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Has anyone used any good job websites recently? Anyone now of any jobs going? Long shot I know. But you know us students, desperate to work :lol:

Thanks guys

There's plenty of 'office jobs' out there if you look, why don't you go for a job that actually involves History or Politics, or aren't there any around, if not what made you decide that would be a good investment of 3 years studying? :old:

Well there is a career that I want, however it is extremely hard to get into and could take a year or two before a position opens up. So a job in a public service is the next best thing. And any experience I gather along the way will benefit me when I come to apply for the job that I have studied for.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Jobswales is pretty good.

I managed to get a job within a finance firm 11months ago as a temp. Applied for it, registered with the agency, job interview a day later and started work the next day due to training needed and busiest time of the year only 3 weeks away. Still there now but hopefully be given a contract by the firm next month due to a member of the team going to College and 1 permanent member of staff down

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:10 am

Goodshoes wrote:Jobswales is pretty good.

I managed to get a job within a finance firm 11months ago as a temp. Applied for it, registered with the agency, job interview a day later and started work the next day due to training needed and busiest time of the year only 3 weeks away. Still there now but hopefully be given a contract by the firm next month due to a member of the team going to College and 1 permanent member of staff down

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check those websites out. It a shame that Joncandy hasn't answered my reply to his sarcy comment :lol:

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:16 am

PhatFrog wrote:
joncandy wrote:

Thanks guys

Well there is a career that I want, however it is extremely hard to get into and could take a year or two before a position opens up. So a job in a public service is the next best thing. And any experience I gather along the way will benefit me when I come to apply for the job that I have studied for.

Fair enough Phatfrog, it took me 5 years of working up the ranks, to get my job, so all the best to you ;)

It annoys me the number of people that do degrees in this that or the other and then are surprised they can't get jobs, sounds like your doing it the the right way though ;)

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 am

Jon

I know what you mean. I actually have a job now and have always had one through out uni. I know some people think Uni's a cop out and in some cases, it is. I won't mention which particular courses I think this covers, don't want to offend anyone :lol: But most students do spend 3/4 years working hard. But the bar is raised all the time. Just after I had my results, the BBC did an article that basically said I had wasted 4 years of my life because I didn't get a 2:1 and that's what employers look for now.

I know I'm not going to fall in to a well paid job. The way jobs are now, its a case of taking whatever you can get!

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:33 am

Goodshoes wrote:Jobswales is pretty good.

Just tried that website. It's very good and easy to use. Thanks mate :ayatollah: