Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" This would not be happening under Russell Slade "

Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:57 pm

" This would not be happening under Russell Slade "

I will probably get slated for this, but I believe we would be nowhere near this bad if we still had Slade. If any game this season shows Trollope is out of his depth, this was it. Trollope waited until we were 2-0 down before throwing on an extra striker, and at 1-0 down, we all could see what was going to happen, except Trollope.

Lambert's legs have gone and he was left isolated. His hold up play and link up play was good, but he doesn't even seem to have the legs to burst into the box to get on the end of the cross, or maybe that's because we don't even have any player entering the final third with the way Trollope sets us up? We lacked pace until Kadeem Harris came on, Harris needs to start ahead of Noone next game, Noone was garbage again.

Under Slade, we stuck with 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, but at least we were organised and difficult to beat at home and our attacking play when Immers and Pilkington linked up together was impressive for the second half of the season. We fell away because of a lack of strength in depth, but we were making steady progress and it would have been interesting to see if Slade could have improved us again this season.

Instead, Trollope has come in with his own fresh ideas, changed the system, signed an average full back who refuses to do the ayatollah, appointed a captain who thinks it's funny to take a dump in the street and urinate in a fountain, played a young keeper totally out of his depth, continues to play Ralls who simply isn't good enough for a top Championship team and he's shown today he's incapable of making the correct substitutions and tactical changes at the correct times.

At least under Slade's 4-4-2, we could have seen a bit of link up play and attacking threat in the final third. We hit the post twice from 2 set pieces, but take away the quality of Whittingham's set pieces and did we even look close to scoring in open play? We offered nothing going forward and Trollope at 1-0 down with Leeds dominating refused to throw on another striker and switch to a more attacking formation.

Usually with new managers, I'm patient and like to give them a bit of time to settle in and get their ideas across. This is different with Trollope. We are sinking without trace, there are no positives to take from our recent displays, we can't break teams down at home. The opposition effortlessly deal with the very little we throw at them and then take control in the second half and score. Trollope has shown no signs of turning this around and I think the majority of us can already see Trollope can't improve us. If a new manager isn't brought in, we are going down.

Re: This would not be happening under Slade

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:03 pm

I agree with everything in your last paragraph. Trollope doesn't know how to make this work, and the longer he pretends he does, the more selfish he's being and the more trouble we will be in.

He needs to go.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:03 pm

I agree but people couldn't wait for slade to go living in hope for a better named manager on paper. Hence trollope stepping in but he's only a coach to face the media at the circus to be fair. No decent name manager would jump at the chance to come here.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:I agree but people couldn't wait for slade to go living in hope for a better named manager on paper. Hence trollope stepping in but he's only a coach to face the media at the circus to be fair. No decent name manager would jump at the chance to come here.

Agreed I would have rather kept slade with More cuts coming at least he proved he could still keep us competitive with the same squad bar Marshall and Fabio and he barely played Fabio anyway

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I will probably get slated for this, but I believe we would be nowhere near this bad if we still had Slade. If any game this season shows Trollope is out of his depth, this was it. Trollope waited until we were 2-0 down before throwing on an extra striker, and at 1-0 down, we all could see what was going to happen, except Trollope.

Lambert's legs have gone and he was left isolated. His hold up play and link up play was good, but he doesn't even seem to have the legs to burst into the box to get on the end of the cross, or maybe that's because we don't even have any player entering the final third with the way Trollope sets us up? We lacked pace until Kadeem Harris came on, Harris needs to start ahead of Noone next game, Noone was garbage again.

Under Slade, we stuck with 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, but at least we were organised and difficult to beat at home and our attacking play when Immers and Pilkington linked up together was impressive for the second half of the season. We fell away because of a lack of strength in depth, but we were making steady progress and it would have been interesting to see if Slade could have improved us again this season.

Instead, Trollope has come in with his own fresh ideas, changed the system, signed an average full back who refuses to do the ayatollah, appointed a captain who thinks it's funny to take a dump in the street and urinate in a fountain, played a young keeper totally out of his depth, continues to play Ralls who simply isn't good enough for a top Championship team and he's shown today he's incapable of making the correct substitutions and tactical changes at the correct times.

At least under Slade's 4-4-2, we could have seen a bit of link up play and attacking threat in the final third. We hit the post twice from 2 set pieces, but take away the quality of Whittingham's set pieces and did we even look close to scoring in open play? We offered nothing going forward and Trollope at 1-0 down with Leeds dominating refused to throw on another striker and switch to a more attacking formation.

Usually with new managers, I'm patient and like to give them a bit of time to settle in and get their ideas across. This is different with Trollope. We are sinking without trace, there are no positives to take from our recent displays, we can't break teams down at home. The opposition effortlessly deal with the very little we throw at them and then take control in the second half and score. Trollope has shown no signs of turning this around and I think the majority of us can already see Trollope can't improve us. If a new manager isn't brought in, we are going down.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbup:

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:55 pm

:bluebird: the truth is becoming obvious and well said can pt see it and change

Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:16 pm

PT also had enough exposure to the squad when he was RS number two. Both of them could not get the best out of a squad who are capable of doing much better than we have seen. We have gone backwards under PT as is now evident. I cannot see it changing and I can't see VT/KC/MD making an informed football decision to get us back on track as they simply don't have the expertise. If it was any other business, an emergency meeting would be scheduled for 8:00am tomorrow morning.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:27 pm

I guess Tan listened to what the fans wanted in getting rid of Slade. Finishing just outside playoffs in first full season when he had never managed a championship team clearly not good enough for fans on the wage/budget he was on. Bet people wish he was still in charge now!

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:34 pm

ccfcsam25 wrote:I guess Tan listened to what the fans wanted in getting rid of Slade. Finishing just outside playoffs in first full season when he had never managed a championship team clearly not good enough for fans on the wage/budget he was on. Bet people wish he was still in charge now!

Tan listens to nobody other than Tan.

If he listened to the fans he certainly would not have appointed Trollope!

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:37 pm

I would guess he would have been advised. What other reason did Slade have to be sacked last season? Tan wants fans to come back and people said they wouldnt because of the football slade played. Under malky we were also hard to beat and he was adored and had a better squad aswell

Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I will probably get slated for this, but I believe we would be nowhere near this bad if we still had Slade. If any game this season shows Trollope is out of his depth, this was it. Trollope waited until we were 2-0 down before throwing on an extra striker, and at 1-0 down, we all could see what was going to happen, except Trollope.

I agree and although Slade had faults like many managers we were organised. At time when Slade went I could see why as being at Sheff Wed game thought he had blown chance by negative tactics and felt like the time was right for a new direction. Appointing his no 2 was not a new direction,as the club seems uninterested about success and just want to cut costs so in hindsight should have kept with Slade as he could have kept us around mid tableish till Tan pisses off.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Sacking Slade was the correct decision, a shake-up was required, but the club refused to ruffle any branches. Neil Warnock would of done a far better job given £3mil on his own players to spend

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Sacking Slade was a good move, hiring this clueless pillock was the mistake. Don't get me wrong, I know we will not be attracting the likes of Pulis but we needed a complete overhaul, not hiring the number two. The guy is completely out of his depth.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:Sacking Slade was a good move, hiring this clueless pillock was the mistake. Don't get me wrong, I know we will not be attracting the likes of Pulis but we needed a complete overhaul, not hiring the number two. The guy is completely out of his depth.

I agree old-timer, it's been difficult trying to shape a squad of players that can get us to another level. We needed even more players shipped out and an experienced Manager bringing in at least 5 of his own. My opinion

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:36 pm

I said the same thing walking from the stadium. Slade would be a better option and he's probably pissing himself laughing at us.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:36 pm

f**k Slade he was just as clueless. I'd rather stick with Trollope .

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Slade wasn't the answer and he was driving fans away with his boring football. But Tan just went for another cheap option and at the time I thought let's give him a chance. But we have lost another batch of players and TBH we haven't improved our squad.
Lambert is clearly unfit and it doesn't help he need the ammunition to fire in the goals and we just ain't giving him anything.
We are going to have to ride it out as Tan is gonna drive this club into the ground as revenge before he fecks of. Even if we get rid of Trollepe then he will be replaced by another very cheap option.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:48 pm

Slade is far better than trollop look at the league the evidence is there , most of us wanted slade out and a new decent manager I personally wanted slade and trollop gone I was horrified when trollop got the job but the wales success took over and some actually thought trollop could do it here at Cardiff maybe as a second to a manager but never 1st coach

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:17 pm

I agree with the majority Tonteg said.

I have said it all long, Slade is good at the basics and has managed over 600 games, he is old fashioned but he knew out to step a team up and the first thing he would set out was to not lose then worry about getting something from the game.

Trollope is trying something completely different and what he is planning to do with the team and style will take at least two seasons. Trollope needs to stick to basics, Slade stuck to the basics and kept it simple because he didn't have the funds to get players for a style might have wanted to adopt here.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Slades side Charlton lost at home to Wimbeldon today, get real guys Slade is Division 1 at best! We need a proven Championship Manager?

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:34 pm

ianto13 wrote:Slades side Charlton lost at home to Wimbeldon today, get real guys Slade is Division 1 at best! We need a proven Championship Manager?

Look at the position we are in and tell me Slade wouldn't have us higher in the league?

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:36 pm

Slade could not buy a friend on this forum this time last year."Not good enough to manage at this level"Was the considered opinion of the wise and knowledgeable.He must be laughing his socks off right about now.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:00 pm

ThomasC wrote: Neil Warnock would of done a far better job given £3mil on his own players to spend

That's the bit people seem to forget they would have to be tan and the two idiots players also, hence the transfer committee and we all know players can land on the coach doorstep or previous managers with a note that says there you go :lol:

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:19 pm

It's not about Slade, it's about this forum!

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
ianto13 wrote:Slades side Charlton lost at home to Wimbeldon today, get real guys Slade is Division 1 at best! We need a proven Championship Manager?

Look at the position we are in and tell me Slade wouldn't have us higher in the league?

Slade had a bad record initially when he arrived inheriting Ole's squad, but he slowly improved us. Like Dando says, Slade stuck to basics because Tan didn't give him the funds to assemble a decent squad, so Slade kept things simple and made us organised and hard to beat.

Trollope's tried to be inventive with his set up. Pre season we were applauding his ideas of using wing backs. It hasn't worked and to be fair, Trollope changed to 4-3-3 today, but maybe he should stick to a rigid, basic 4-4-2, get the team to blend together, do what Russell Slade tried to achieve in getting partnerships working on the pitch and make us a more cohesive unit.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:
ThomasC wrote: Neil Warnock would of done a far better job given £3mil on his own players to spend

That's the bit people seem to forget they would have to be tan and the two idiots players also, hence the transfer committee and we all know players can land on the coach doorstep or previous managers with a note that says there you go :lol:

It's a funny lot down there, they gave Zohore a 3 year contract to watch from the sidelines as currently, he's not up to the job. That's money that a manager could use elsewhere to strengthen the actual 1st 11?! What a wonderful era we live following the City lol :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:34 pm

Please guys who knows where we would be with slade in charge. Maybe top, maybe bottom with 0 points, its all irrelevant really. The real issue is how are we going to consistently win games and actually start our season before its to late.

Yes slade managed to scrap to a Midd table finish but look back and see how many of our wins came against teams with better stats than ours hence the boring football tag. Your luck will run out eventually and the teams who control the game usually finish near the top of the league.

Who's to say we wouldn't of been in a relegation scrap last year without Marshall. Some of our 1-0 wins could have easily been draws or losses!!!

My biggest disappointment in Trollope is firstly that he was there all last season and still he has failed to address our biggest problem... The lack of pace in our team.

Secondly he was here all last season and he seems clueless on his best 11!!

I thought his appointment was for continuity as he would know what needed addressing.... To be honest I wish we had gone for Warnock but I guess he's not the cheapest option.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:43 pm

As i said before a ball was kicked last season - " i felt sorry for Slade for what he was asked to do more off the field "

As much as trying to get points - Trying to sort out the mess left by OGS ( CLUELESS CLOWN ).

So happy for him he left - kept the team above mid - table on a small budget compared to others .

This all went wrong with the sacking of MM - FACT. :bluebird:

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:43 pm

I don't blame folks moaning as our future should have played out completely different to where we are now and thank the stars we don't have an owner like Venkey's. I just wish that VT/MD/KC would learn from their mistakes, as the current executive dashboard is flashing red - we are bottom of the league with a stadium that is only 30% and a dwindling away support.

So regarding managers.

We were all surprised at the OGS appointment. Big name. Unproven. We got behind him. It didn't work out.

We were all surprised at the Russell Slade appointment. Unproven at Championship. We kind of eventually got behind him. It didn't work out.

We were all surprised at the Paul Trollope appointment. Unproven at Championship. We got behind him. Its not working out.

To the credit of the 'transfer committee', the necessity of a proven striker was identified and brought in at a fair cost considering our 'FFP' constraints. We will have to see how that works out.

What I still don't understand is why in this sequence of events that the board has seemingly not similarly identified that the root of our problem since relegation has been the realisation of the necessity of a proven Championship manager? We all know how it will work out if that if that doesn't happen as we are seeing it now.

We are bottom of the league with a 30% full stadium. How much more of a message do you need?

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:27 pm

Totally agree with you concerning managers however how you can say the transfer committee have got it right is beyond me. We keep singing midfield's for fun and all have similar attributes. We are consistently overlooking the fact that our squad has a serious lack of pace!!!

Bothroyd signed for £350 grand.... Ross McCormack came to us on a free transfer! You don't have to spend millions to find what you need but you do need the right people in the right places to identify these targets!!!

Let's look who is on this transfer committee.

VT - no football experience
KC - no football experience
MD - has been in football but I wouldn't call him a scout.
Then you have PT who is extremely inexperienced at this level.

When you compare with DJ level of experience in the market they're miles off