Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SAD

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:41 pm

I have to have my dog put to sleep this week. He's a thirteen year old Boxer dog that really is a part of the family.
I made an appointment back in January for this but I have been putting it off. He is blind and at least 70% deaf and don't have any quality life left really and I know I have to take him to the vet. I have done this to a Springer Spaniel (Tex) and two other Boxers, 1 being a dog called Bruno and 1 called Champ in the past, but it is so hard to do.

Anyone else ever felt as sad/sick at having to do this? :cry:

Re: SAD

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Just think you are benefiting the dog. I know its hard though :(

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:12 am

Had to do it to 2 of my dogs...1 being an alsation named sheba & 1 a black cross labrador whose name was shoemite,,shite for short :D ....both absolutely lush dogs and totally part of the family....my labrador i had to take to the vets as everytime she walked she was in agony with her back legs and even started haveing fits...the vets told me i would be doing the best thing if i was to let her go....it was one of the hardest things i had to do especially as i had to take my 2 little uns with me who was 3 & 1 at the time.....i stayed with my dog until she was no longer with us....cried my bloody eyes out ...still think about it now and that was 10 yrs ago now!!!!!

I know how your feeling but surely it has to be so that your dog is in pain no longer and suffering....if you were in a bad state , constant pain every single day would you want to still be here?

all the best in what you decide to do Uncle Fester and i know what your going through

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 am

i had to have my previous staff put down because he had a brain tumour. hurt like hell but had to be done.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:16 am

Uncle Fester wrote:I have to have my dog put to sleep this week. He's a thirteen year old Boxer dog that really is a part of the family.
I made an appointment back in January for this but I have been putting it off. He is blind and at least 70% deaf and don't have any quality life left really and I know I have to take him to the vet. I have done this to a Springer Spaniel (Tex) and two other Boxers, 1 being a dog called Bruno and 1 called Champ in the past, but it is so hard to do.

My little Jess went to sleep last August, without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done. Jess had cancer, spent thousands on her but to no avail, to see her not knowing whether she was going to pee, trying so hard to pee in the garden so she didn't make a mess in the house was f*cking heartbreaking. At least I was able to hold her little paw when the deed was done.

Run wild, run free Little Jess

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:27 am

Heartbreaking Chief i really feel for you. I have a Staffy Cross and its the only Dog Ive ever had. If i ever have to make that decision it will tear me to pieces. He really is part of us a big part of our lives.
Be strong and do whats right for your dog and we are are all here to talk if you want us to.
Just gave my dog a big cuddle coz that post really tugs at the heart strings. :cry: :cry:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:13 am

Uncle Fester wrote:I have to have my dog put to sleep this week. He's a thirteen year old Boxer dog that really is a part of the family.

Done it twice (Two border collies). Each time it brought me to tears at the vet's. It's why I won't have another dog.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:28 am

Gutted for you mate.

I had to do it a few years back with our Springer Spaniel X.

I didn't think it would be that bad, but it was possibly one of the single most saddest experiences of my life.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:29 am

Ive done it too, twice, one to old english (dulex dog) and a alsatian

bloody horrible mate, but its for the best, both were in pain and would have had tablets to ease it, but only 20% for the rest of thier lifes, you can't put them through that suffering for the sake of kids etc

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:46 pm

took my cocker spaniel down with my dad,cried my eyes out,it hurts but it had to be done,not being harsh but the best thing for your dog,sorry mate. :cry:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 pm

krab wrote:took my cocker spaniel down with my dad,cried my eyes out,it hurts but it had to be done,not being harsh but the best thing for your dog,sorry mate. :cry:

Thanks everyone. Made the appointment today. :cry:

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 pm

I dread the day i'm in that situation, unless of course the dog out lives me.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Sorry to hear that Steve ,catch up soon mate.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Gezza wrote:Sorry to hear that Steve ,catch up soon mate.

Cheers Gezza, see you in Canton pre match no doubt mate?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:59 pm

So sad to hear and im genuinely gutted for you,the only positive is its for the best in the end, although i can see where your coming from by putting it off. I have had dogs all my life including 2 boxers in the past, i still have 2 dogs now but they are both getting on and are on medication for heart complaints. I know how you feel, they are mans best friend and so much part of the family, but when it comes to them suffering then it the best thing to do.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Hey fella, I had 2 staffs who had to be put down, within 3 months. So hard to do they were part of the family kids adored them. I cried when I was in the vets both times.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Soory to hear steve they become part of the family i dread the time coming with mine. :cry: ,

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Clark Spy wrote:Soory to hear steve they become part of the family i dread the time coming with mine. :cry: ,

Cheers mate. :(

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:42 pm

went through it a couple of months ago, sill miss her.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Alright Steve,

Sorry to hear that mate, i had an irish setter called" Mooro" as a kid and when at 15 i had to let her go upstairs it bloody chocked me as my paper round dog had gone forever, always swore would not have another, but at 42 i relented ! Again she really is my best mate, it's funny how it works with dog and that bond, but somehow it does, anyway got a "westie " now called Cass. Not bad for a West Ham fan hey!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 am

My brother has a westie called Mollie Daya. They're cracking dogs and you're right, they're so loyal. I'm going to be so sad when Mollie passes on. She's only 8 years old now but it's amazing how time flies. I remember when she was just a little puppy. As my brother said, she's been his shadow for the last 8 years and he'll find it terribly hard to let her go.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:22 am

Daya wrote:Alright Steve,

Sorry to hear that mate, i had an irish setter called" Mooro" as a kid and when at 15 i had to let her go upstairs it bloody chocked me as my paper round dog had gone forever, always swore would not have another, but at 42 i relented ! Again she really is my best mate, it's funny how it works with dog and that bond, but somehow it does, anyway got a "westie " now called Cass. Not bad for a West Ham fan hey!

West ham fan...Pah! :D :D

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/C ... 007039.jpg

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 am

Zabier wrote:My brother has a westie called Mollie Daya. They're cracking dogs and you're right, they're so loyal. I'm going to be so sad when Mollie passes on. She's only 8 years old now but it's amazing how time flies. I remember when she was just a little puppy. As my brother said, she's been his shadow for the last 8 years and he'll find it terribly hard to let her go.

I know mate, loyal and shadow really sums it up!

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:32 am

Uncle Fester wrote:
Daya wrote:Alright Steve,

West ham fan...Pah! :D :D

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/C ... 007039.jpg

i remember that photo! :lol: :lol: