Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whittingham - worth letting go? Discuss!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:03 am

If we have to sell one of our better players, then let it be Peter Whittingham. (I WOULD RATHER HE STAYED, but it is the time of year for speculation!).

Reasons:

1. He has only had one good goalscoring season - this was almost certainly because Dave Jones decided to play the most left sided player in the team to play wide left instead of wide right. Also, when Bothroyd and Chopra are playing, defences spent so much time watching them that Whitts got forgotten, especially during the first half of the season.
2. A high percentage of his goals came from penalties and free kicks. We have other good dead ball players who could convert at the same rate.
3. He is the most left footed player I have seen since Norman Hunter (if you are under the age of 30 look him up!).
4. IMHO, he only plays at his best for approximately 35 minutes each game. I think this is because any defender worth his salt realises how one footed he is and shows him on to his right foot for the rest of the game.
5. Even when he is playing well, his body language is very negative. This helps to spread the attitude throughout the side, especially when we are behind.
6. He becomes 'invisible' on the field far too easily as far as I am concerned. When we are struggling, he is not the man you look for to lift the team.

So - who do we sell him to? Hopefully not another Championship team. However, for the reasons above I am pretty sure that Premier League teams would have little interest (except maybe Blackpool!)

Anything in the region of £2m and he should go.

Re: Whittingham - worth letting go? Discuss!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:05 am

Fair shout, but like you say, hope we can hold onto all our players.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 am

£2mil is a fair price and aslong as TG honours his agreement to put ALL transfer money received into the kitty then yes it will be a good move :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:28 am

If we are looking at one footed players try watching Stephen McPhail. Whitts is an average player who had an exceptional season last year BUT was one of the players who went walkabout against Blackpool!!!!!! If a good offer comes in for him I would grab it with both hands. Dave Jones has a good track record of finding players so give him a few bob and he may unearth another gem???

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:38 am

No-one is going to go as high as £3 million for Whitts, especially as he went missing so often last season, even taking into account his high goals return. During the seasons leading up to last season, a lot of City fans were doubting his value to the team so, if he is with us this season and produces a similar amount of goals as last, then his value will definitely increase

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:40 am

Definatly not. He had a great season last season, and to throw him away without letting him try to emulate that again this season would be a mistake.

He has one of the best free-kicks in the championship.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:40 am

Nottage Blue wrote:No-one is going to go as high as £3 million for Whitts, especially as he went missing so often last season, even taking into account his high goals return. During the seasons leading up to last season, a lot of City fans were doubting his value to the team so, if he is with us this season and produces a similar amount of goals as last, then his value will definitely increase

His value won't increase whatsoever, only decrease.

January can sign pre-contract elsewhere.

We're in no position to demand the earth in terms of money because he can leave on a free next summer.

If he's not going to sign a new contract, we need to take what's offered, because something is better than nothing.

Equally, people know we are skint. That would drive any offer down.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:31 pm

I think people underrate him massively personally.
He scored a lot of goals in open play not just free kicks and pens.
Also you say we have plenty of deadball experts?? before witts started taking free kicks our freekicks were not getting anywhere near, we very very rarely scored a free kick for about 2 seasons.

Also his assists record must be one if not the highest our team.

It depends how much we need the money and we do have Rossco who can fill his boots.
If he is sold - does the money go to us or some business who has mortgaged the players?
Can we use the money on a new player?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:48 pm

I agree with Bluebird58, if a player has to be sold then Whittingham would be the ideal one. That said if he is to stay I would love DJ to go with a diamond formation with Whitts at the tip of the midfield.

I think he would be leathal in the hole behind the main 2 strikers.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I agree with Bluebird58, if a player has to be sold then Whittingham would be the ideal one. That said if he is to stay I would love DJ to go with a diamond formation with Whitts at the tip of the midfield.

good post that , and replace him with Mc Cormack as and when during the game ? :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Nice to provoke some discussion. Still a bit worried about Whitts being a bit one footed for the tip of a diamond formation, but may work when jones needs to change things a bit during a game.

Is there any reason to suspect that Jones might be prepared to consider anything other than a standard 442 though?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm

he played him at the tip of the diamond at Bristol City away in the cup (I think) was hard to judge though as the conditions were poor that day.

Supposedly DJ has been testing 4-3-3 a lot

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:52 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Supposedly DJ has been testing 4-3-3 a lot

That's the way to save money! - we don't have to replace Ledley in midfield if we only play 3 there! LOL

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:08 pm

from deadball situations there is nobody better in the championship and if i remember right then ray wilkins backed that statement,he has had his best season with the city by far because he has been playing out wide on the left, he may be totally left footed but some of the best wide players in the world only play with 1 foot so we should give him another chance to see if he can have a season half as good as that because i cant see the other middle men(apart from burke) scoring too many,even ross out wide,whitts has to be worth 3mil after last season and has age on his side

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I agree with Bluebird58, if a player has to be sold then Whittingham would be the ideal one. That said if he is to stay I would love DJ to go with a diamond formation with Whitts at the tip of the midfield.

You see Tony, I agree except would consider putting McPhail behind the front two. I found when Whitts played AMC last season he was worked out quickly. Out wide he drifts in and out of the game effectively. I'd keep him unless we receive a bid of £2m and then sell him. There are equally good players we could buy for a fraction of that fee but he's still worth that amount in my eyes because of his match winning capabilities.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:33 am

bluebird58 wrote:If we have to sell one of our better players, then let it be Peter Whittingham. (I WOULD RATHER HE STAYED, but it is the time of year for speculation!).

Reasons:

1. He has only had one good goalscoring season - this was almost certainly because Dave Jones decided to play the most left sided player in the team to play wide left instead of wide right. Also, when Bothroyd and Chopra are playing, defences spent so much time watching them that Whitts got forgotten, especially during the first half of the season.
2. A high percentage of his goals came from penalties and free kicks. We have other good dead ball players who could convert at the same rate.
3. He is the most left footed player I have seen since Norman Hunter (if you are under the age of 30 look him up!).
4. IMHO, he only plays at his best for approximately 35 minutes each game. I think this is because any defender worth his salt realises how one footed he is and shows him on to his right foot for the rest of the game.
5. Even when he is playing well, his body language is very negative. This helps to spread the attitude throughout the side, especially when we are behind.
6. He becomes 'invisible' on the field far too easily as far as I am concerned. When we are struggling, he is not the man you look for to lift the team.

So - who do we sell him to? Hopefully not another Championship team. However, for the reasons above I am pretty sure that Premier League teams would have little interest (except maybe Blackpool!)

Anything in the region of £2m and he should go.

Teams that let their top goalscorers go are stupid, especially when you consider he was also top in the Championship and a midfielder, he has to stay !!!!!

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -26904587/

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 am

£1.5m??? f**k off. McCormack can go for that amount but not Whittingham. £2.5m at least.