Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

1 minute's applause ? ?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:57 am

Is there anything planned to remember the late great Stuart Cable on Sunday ? ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: 1 minute's applause ? ?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:03 am

My Auntie died Monday. She didn't really go to games, but kept an eye out for the scores.

Should we have a minutes applause for her too?

Seriously, this fawning to get appluause for anyone is getting nauseating. Keep it for people directly related to the club - players, staff.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 am

nerd wrote:My Auntie died Monday. She didn't really go to games, but kept an eye out for the scores.

Seriously, this fawning to get appluause for anyone is getting nauseating. Keep it for people directly related to the club - players, staff.

sorry to have mentioned it Nerd !!!

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 am

nerd wrote:My Auntie died Monday. She didn't really go to games, but kept an eye out for the scores.

Martyn only asked, no need to bite his head off. Condolences for your loss.

Martyn, I think too much time has passed to have a minutes applause and seeing as the club refused to request one at Wembley for the fan who died at the Leicester game, I can't see them making an effort for Stuart.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:12 am

I agree Han but Stuart wasnt exactly just a fan was he ? He was 1 of the fore runners involved in the " I'll Be There " single ..... maybe Ali can dedicate an old Phonics single or indeed the new KFC single ??

Nerd then surely do what I did and buy and dedicate a brick in the City Walk to your aunty just like I did for my Dad :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:42 am

well said :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:45 am

I was never really a Phonics fan and I was indifferent to him as a person, but he obviously means a lot to people on here, Martyn especially. I have no view on the minute's applause but would not object if there was one and would obviously join in

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:49 am

Nottage Blue wrote:I was never really a Phonics fan and I was indifferent to him as a person, but he obviously means a lot to people on here, Martyn especially. I have no view on the minute's applause but would not object if there was one and would obviously join in

dont worry Im not starting a campaign or anything just asked a question and thanks for everybody's opinions and answers !

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:51 am

Stuart WAS the Valleys and seeing as our club has a significant support from the Valleys it would be a nice gesture. If he was good enough to play at the legends game and be the guest of honour for the Leicester game, then surely he's good enough to have a minutes applause or some other mark of respect.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:58 am

PhatFrog wrote:Stuart WAS the Valleys and seeing as our club has a significant support from the Valleys it would be a nice gesture. If he was good enough to play at the legends game and be the guest of honour for the Leicester game, then surely he's good enough to have a minutes applause or some other mark of respect.

Im sure Ali will say something and play a song in his memory ?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:10 am

Vintage 63 wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:I was never really a Phonics fan and I was indifferent to him as a person, but he obviously means a lot to people on here, Martyn especially. I have no view on the minute's applause but would not object if there was one and would obviously join in

dont worry Im not starting a campaign or anything just asked a question and thanks for everybody's opinions and answers !

No probs, Martyn. Some of the replies have been a bit OTT though

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am

What about Wayne Jones the guy who died in the Play Off Semi?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:59 am

Ive been told that Killing for Company are doing something at half time :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Yeah, sorry if you read it as an attack, Vintage.

It's just that, for me, the whole minutes silence thing is becoming so common it just loses any effect. Cable may have been a City fan, but at the end of the day, made music, appeared on TV. That doesn't make him any better - or more important - than anyone else who dies.

If Ali wants to say something, play a song, whatever, fine... but a minutes silence/applause is utterly OTT.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:58 pm

nerd wrote:Yeah, sorry if you read it as an attack, Vintage.

It's just that, for me, the whole minutes silence thing is becoming so common it just loses any effect. Cable may have been a City fan, but at the end of the day, made music, appeared on TV. That doesn't make him any better - or more important - than anyone else who dies.

If Ali wants to say something, play a song, whatever, fine... but a minutes silence/applause is utterly OTT.

The man did a hell of a lot for charity and did a lot to get Wales recognised in the first place.

I would say, despite some of his short comings (The man had the smelliest farts I have ever smelt :lol: ) but the amount of charity work he did made him better than the average person. He had a heart of gold.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:04 pm

PhatFrog wrote:
nerd wrote:Yeah, sorry if you read it as an attack, Vintage.

The man did a hell of a lot for charity and did a lot to get Wales recognised in the first place.

I would say, despite some of his short comings (The man had the smelliest farts I have ever smelt :lol: ) but the amount of charity work he did made him better than the average person. He had a heart of gold.

Not disagreeing; there are equally plenty of people who do charitable work without getting the publicity. Sorry, but "getting Wales recognised in the first place"? I'd have to argue on that score...

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

At the end of the day though he was a sort of a high profile City fan and he has to be commended just for his efforts to launch the " I'll Be There " charity single along with the rest of the organizers like Jonathan ? :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:22 pm

WHY not just ask Ali to play one if his songs - i don't feel the minute silence is credible now - asit has been so long since his death has passed.....

Yes acknowledge the fact if was a loss - EVERY city fan who knew he supported CCFC would be aware of his passing and probably have already done something - via facebook/twitter/funeral etc

SO yeah Im sure Stuart would be more in favour of a good ole piss up n sing song than a depressing minutes silence!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:01 pm

I met him once and he told me he supported Liverpool? Any truth in that?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:28 pm

bloo wrote:I met him once and he told me he supported Liverpool? Any truth in that?

He was a Pool fan too. Also an egg chaser. He would watch any sports though. Darts, golf, snooker etc.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:Is there anything planned to remember the late great Stuart Cable on Sunday ? ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

What are you thinking, this is a terrible idea!
What is wrong with everyone?
Great gesture and something he deserves in my eyes, had the pleasure of meeting him when i was younger and he was great, a top bloke who played in a top band.
Even if he doesnt support Cardiff, he represents Wales and I for one would be chuffed to see him applauded before the game.