Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Merthyr Tydfil FC

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:23 am

Ive just been told that a 2nd football club is thinking of forming in Merthyr to play in the Welsh League pyramid system joining at a very local level with the very long term aim of achieving Welsh Prem League status and maybe just maybe bring European football back to Penydarren Park via this route . Maybe a ground share with newly formed Merthyr Town FC could be possible assuming that Penydarren could be purchased ofcourse ........................ maybe the Welsh League will go the same way as Ireland and have summer football too , Im sure though many will ask can the town support 2 teams ? ? Im very much sure that the person behind the idea has given it serious thought too , so who knows ?

Re: Merthyr Tydfil FC

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am

It makes you wonder if it can support 2 teams in the town, given that the original is so poorly supported, but I'm sure there are reasons for that. The new club will have to be heavily funded/susidised but how long will that be the case until it can be self funded or self supporting? I reckon that this is a long term project but, if it doesn't quite happen as quickly as the owners want or predict, will people lose interest?

I hope it takes off, though

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:19 am

A summer football league sounds a good thing plus 2 teams back at Penydarren Park where there currently isnt any football being played cant be bad either . What do the Merthyr Town FC Trust think about this ?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:23 am

Midfield general wrote:It a shame that the Welsh FA has told us that we would have to start off in the Merthyr League bearing in mind that when Barry Town finally joined the Welsh league they were told that they would have to start off just one league below the WPL.

Would that decision have been based on the fact that Barry Town had an infrastructure and an existing club though, whereas this new Merthyr club are a wholly new venture?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 am

Midfield general wrote:Martin they are 50/50 at the moment but not all the facts about the idea are in the public domain yet.

With regards to Nottage Blues comment, well the infratructure at Penydarren Park far outways Jenner Park and for years the Welsh FA have wanted Merthyr in the league of wales, this is their chance yet this is their response.

But then Barry were an existing club whereas this new club doesn't exist at the moment

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:35 am

Just out of interest, how do you think you can attract the players and coaching staff you think are good enough to progress?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:39 am

Midfield general wrote:All we are asking is to start off at a slightly higher tier than the local pub league.

Fair enough, just curious

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 am

Nottage Blue wrote:
Midfield general wrote:All we are asking is to start off at a slightly higher tier than the local pub league.

Fair enough, just curious

FC Brunswick of Merthyr wil be the feeder club :lol: seriously tho good luck Adam and its gonna take time , too many ppl expect too much too quickly just like at CCFC !

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am

Cannot see that happening Mart. Small crowds at Merthyr games so creating 2 will reduce that even more and the cost would be too much. Hopefully but doubt it

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:08 am

BluebirdWalker wrote:Cannot see that happening Mart. Small crowds at Merthyr games so creating 2 will reduce that even more and the cost would be too much. Hopefully but doubt it

I think the guys behind the new club are looking very much long term and hoping that by the time they reach the WPL then it will be summer football with very little over lap of matches . Who knows where the Martyrs will be by then , maybe in the Conference too ?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:15 am

Well it would have to be seriously long term if Merthyr were to be anywhere near the conference due to the drop of 2 leagues last year. It will also take some investment for MTFC to get there. They should walk these 2 leagues so will be fine. Hopefully get some money in the bank in the process and then pump it back in to get players to push them up towards the football league.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 am

There was already a thread about this and as I said in that I cant see it working, there is a very small fan base in merthyr who are loyal too the club thats there already, why would they give up that club too watch a team play in the welsh league.. the only time this new club would draw a crowd in is IF they got too europe. Adam said he wasn't going too charge a gate so how is he going too pay for the lease of Penydarren Park.. I could go on with flaws but good luck too him

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:30 am

Billy Hunt. wrote:There was already a thread about this and as I said in that I cant see it working, there is a very small fan base in merthyr who are loyal too the club thats there already, why would they give up that club too watch a team play in the welsh league.. the only time this new club would draw a crowd in is IF they got too europe. Adam said he wasn't going too charge a gate so how is he going too pay for the lease of Penydarren Park.. I could go on with flaws but good luck too him

How is he going to generate income then? Not much merchandise would be sold and not everyone would buy food in the ground :?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Midfield general wrote:If the new club starts off in the local pub league then you cannot charge. Can I say this once more for people to understand 'The hope is that the WPL will be a SUMMER league so the clubs WON'T spilt the support!!!'

How much clearer can I say that ?

Have you got a Plan B in case the WPL refuse to introduce summer football and it actually never happens?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Midfield general wrote:If the new club starts off in the local pub league then you cannot charge. Can I say this once more for people to understand 'The hope is that the WPL will be a SUMMER league so the clubs WON'T spilt the support!!!'

But in the meantime whilst getting too the WPL..

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:34 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:

But in the meantime whilst getting too the WPL..

dont you think that the Investment that was talked about recently for the Martyrs may still be available to fund the new team in its early years ?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:Ive just been told that a 2nd football club is thinking of forming in Merthyr to play in the Welsh League pyramid system joining at a very local level with the very long term aim of achieving Welsh Prem League status and maybe just maybe bring European football back to Penydarren Park via this route . Maybe a ground share with newly formed Merthyr Town FC could be possible assuming that Penydarren could be purchased ofcourse ........................ maybe the Welsh League will go the same way as Ireland and have summer football too , Im sure though many will ask can the town support 2 teams ? ? Im very much sure that the person behind the idea has given it serious thought too , so who knows ?

What about Penydarren FC?

Aren`t they already in the pyramid system in the South Wales Senior League?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Midfield general wrote:
since62 wrote:
Vintage 63 wrote:Ive just been told that a 2nd football club is thinking of forming in Merthyr to play in the Welsh League pyramid system joining at a very local level with the very long term aim of achieving Welsh Prem League status and maybe just maybe bring European football back to Penydarren Park via this route . Maybe a ground share with newly formed Merthyr Town FC could be possible assuming that Penydarren could be purchased ofcourse ........................ maybe the Welsh League will go the same way as Ireland and have summer football too , Im sure though many will ask can the town support 2 teams ? ? Im very much sure that the person behind the idea has given it serious thought too , so who knows ?

What about Penydarren FC?

Aren`t they already in the pyramid system in the South Wales Senior League?

Yes they are but they are more of a community within a community team to be honest Keith.

Didn`t realise that. I have a vague recollection of playing against them years ago , and my son-in-law has played against them recently and said they had an impressive set-up for a club at their level (good enough for Welsh League 3 already?)

Keith

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 pm

i dont think anyone can use Merhtyr tydfil fc for so long as the company had gone in to adminstration

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:14 pm

As a fan of Merthyr Town F.C, and of Merthyr Tydfil F.C before it, this is one of the daftest ideas I've ever heard. We can't generate much support in the town now so how is an apethetic public going to keep two clubs going? Plus IF this team does get off the ground how long will it take to get into the LOW? A total non-starter.