Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: BIDS FOR CHOPS AND WHITTS ?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:35 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
What makes you think that a shareholder is there to "help the club"? He has other shareholders in other businesses to whom he is responsible as well. He is not only playing with his own money, but that belonging to other people as well and you can't blame anyone for doing their best to get their money back in this situation.

We have used them to build a modern stadium - they have used us to make some money - fairs fair, I would say.

The expectations of a shareholder should be to achieve Capital Growth and Dividends. As a shareholder he should want whats best for the club and i feel he shouldnt be taking 2 million out of the club at the present time.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Think about it, if the figures mentioned are around £4m for Chops and £2m for Whitts, we have had great business which is what we need at the moment. We bought Chops for 500k (yes i know we bought him back for £4m) and selling him for £4m would be good business considering his wages, we payed £350k for Whitts now we may get £2m. End of the day it seems we need the money desperately and i wouldn't blame them for letting them go. After all if Dave goes and gets 2 players for £850k that produce the same goods in a few years who will be complaining?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:56 pm

carlccfc wrote:Late yesterday I have learned that Nottingham Forest made an improved offer for Whittingham, Billy Davies is playing the situation we have found ourselves in and after what has happened with Ledley, he is seeing how cheap he could pick Whitts up for.

A source I have in Suffolk is telling me that Roy Keane is coming in with another bid for Chopra in the next day or so, the fee mentioned was £4million, after his offer of £2.3million plus Stead was knocked back.

I have said previously that City have a price on Chops and I think that the figure mentioned would be enough for City to deal. I am being told of many names that City are talking too strikers and/or are interested in, Harewood, Folan, Vokes and Keough.

£4m for Chopra would be good business , even though the money may have to go to pay off that ridiculous loan from Sports Asset Management (will save the club well over £1m in interest , as well as a similar sum in Chopra`s wages).
What about Jason Roberts as a lined up replacement? Haven`t seen him mentioned , but should be available on loan and has been prolific at this level - still some mileage in him (I think he is about 32 now).Maybe even a Roberts/Koumas double swoop would be a fan pleaser.

Whitingham for £2.5m wouldn`t be that disastrous either , provided we get a decent replacement in on loan. Last season , he had a brilliant goalscoring record for us , but I just can`t see him repeating anything similar this season - if he was a consistent player , he would still be playing in the Premiership for Villa.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Sell both players only if it speeds up the Malaysian drag on option.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:36 pm

I was just told by a Forest fan in work that his rumours are 2.5M already agreed for Whittingham to be announced tomorrow!

Not believing anything yet, especially from a Forest fan.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:43 pm

I think we have to be sensible as much as it's hard.

I wouldn't want to lose Chopra or Whittingham but unless they commit to longer contracts in the next couple of weeks then I think we'd have to take £4 and £2 million for these guys, given the current situation.

It would be hard to replace them, but everyone else manages to bring in a loan player who scores goals if we can't get our own signing to fill the gap then this is a road we'd hopefully look to go down.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Forest fans on 606 are putting Whittingham in thier expected starting line up for Saturday :roll:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:58 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
ackers1927 wrote:
So you could say that we are selling whitts, not to pay off the tax bill or charlton, but to pay a major shareholder who is suppose to be there to help the club?

What makes you think that a shareholder is there to "help the club"? He has other shareholders in other businesses to whom he is responsible as well. He is not only playing with his own money, but that belonging to other people as well and you can't blame anyone for doing their best to get their money back in this situation.

We have used them to build a modern stadium - they have used us to make some money - fairs fair, I would say.

Your taking the piss surely?. they have been little more than bullying moneylenders. Picking on a desperate
victim at their lowest ebb...

f**k you if you cant eat - pay me

f**k you if you cant pay your rent - pay me

f**k you if you cant clothe your children - pay me

In effect, they are sat there patiently waiting for the Malaysians to put money in.

So they can take it out

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:20 pm

carlccfc wrote:Late yesterday I have learned that Nottingham Forest made an improved offer for Whittingham, Billy Davies is playing the situation we have found ourselves in and after what has happened with Ledley, he is seeing how cheap he could pick Whitts up for.

A source I have in Suffolk is telling me that Roy Keane is coming in with another bid for Chopra in the next day or so, the fee mentioned was £4million, after his offer of £2.3million plus Stead was knocked back.

I have said previously that City have a price on Chops and I think that the figure mentioned would be enough for City to deal. I am being told of many names that City are talking too strikers and/or are interested in, Harewood, Folan, Vokes and Keough.

Carl, ive just returned after going to a meeting that contained someone from Felixstowe , he also said in their area the talk was a deal of 4 million. At their end they seem to think they have got him.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Daya wrote:

Carl, ive just returned after going to a meeting that contained someone from Felixstowe , he also said in their area the talk was a deal of 4 million. At their end they seem to think they have got him.

They are confident down there Steve, I have said since the end of last season that if the money is right I would leave Chops and Whitts go. The money being offered, alledgedely, £4million and £2.5million I think is the right money.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Daya wrote:

Would make sense with the timing of Koumas signing, Happy today and not quite so much of a blow when we lose Whits and or Chops !!!

I really hope you are wrong though, we would be a force with them and Koumas..........

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:27 pm

we can forget about promotion if chopra is sold, we ain't going to get another 20 goal a season striker with no money to spend :(

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm

ITs a shame really whewn your asked to fork out for a season ticket at christmas time, based on the club as it is at the time, only to NOT bring in the promised players AND lose our most influential players of the past season to championship rivals!

I'll be gutted if either go, but Im PRAYING that Jones has replacements READY for if they do leave!
IF we dont bring any quality in if Chops and Whitts go, then I dread to think what might happen, both on and off the field....

BUT! as it stands, Im a happy bluebird and the arrival of Koumas is at least a pleaser teaser for now! :D

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Carl, i will try a sneaky one and try and put a call in as we have a ex Cardiff lad at Ipswich currently and drop it into the conversation if i can! :D

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Daya wrote:Carl, i will try a sneaky one and try and put a call in as we have a ex Cardiff lad at Ipswich currently and drop it into the conversation if i can! :D

Nice one Steve I am trying from this end too :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Daya wrote:Carl, i will try a sneaky one and try and put a call in as we have a ex Cardiff lad at Ipswich currently and drop it into the conversation if i can! :D

http://www.gsdsports.co.uk/gallery.htm

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Daya wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

http://www.gsdsports.co.uk/gallery.htm

Fantastic website Steve, you should be very proud :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

On the face of it letting these players go, will mean almost guarantee only a mid table at best. How do you replace 40 goals and in a team that defensively is poor.

Although Whitts scored a bag full last season, it's very questionable as to whether he get anywhere near that level again.(I'd actually say he could playing for us, because the front 5 create the space that allowed him to get into such good positions). However for a player in the last year of his contract, £2.5m provided it is structured right is a deal worth taking.

However, losing Chopra would be awful for us. He is guaranteed to get c20 goals a season for us at this level; not only that, but his overall work rate is unbelievable - even when he isn't scoring, there isn't a harder working player in our team - or possibly the league in his position. He defends from the front and is a massive part of the reason we scored so many goals last season - even when he himself wasn't scoring - without him I also reckon we would have conceded a lot more last season as teams are petrified of him and set up more defensively. I've got a few friends who support Championship team and every one rate him as the best striker in this league by miles.

I wouldn't take £4m from him - especially against a team that could prove to be one of our main rivals.

What impact is that also going to have on the other players - how would they feel about losing the main ammunition from the team?

Finally for the club to spend the whole summer saying that will keep our best players - to let these 2 go, and especially Chops would be a huge kick in the proverbials!

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks Carl, theres no better feeling than helping those in football achieve their goals and aims, fans slag Agents and sometimes quite rightly so, but what they dont see is all the good work done too, the best buzz un the world is helping a lad whos been released finding another club and seeing a smile on his face again! you cant beat that feeling!

Voicemail by the way, with a returned text " at dinner call later,"

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:47 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Daya wrote:

They are confident down there Steve, I have said since the end of last season that if the money is right I would leave Chops and Whitts go. The money being offered, alledgedely, £4million and £2.5million I think is the right money.

Yeah agreed Carl. £6.5m is about right.
If it goes to sorting out the debts then great. Maybe we can get some loan/cheap players to replace them, might be half a step down (might not), but if it stabilises the finances then so be it.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:55 pm

the blue path wrote:we can forget about promotion if chopra is sold, we ain't going to get another 20 goal a season striker with no money to spend :(

If the club can sort out R McC`s alcohol problems , then I think he is capable of getting 15 to 20 goals a season if played as an out and out striker alongside Bothroyd.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 pm

since62 wrote:
the blue path wrote:we can forget about promotion if chopra is sold, we ain't going to get another 20 goal a season striker with no money to spend :(

If the club can sort out R McC`s alcohol problems , then I think he is capable of getting 15 to 20 goals a season if played as an out and out striker alongside Bothroyd.

IF being the word Keith!

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 pm

since62 wrote:

have to agreed with you i think chopras had enough of us if we can get good money for him its time to let him go ,ross scored over 20 two seasons ago up front in an average team

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:03 pm

If it's cash up front for Chopra from the sale of the Ipswich captain then the 'rumour' may have legs

http://www.cardiff.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=207399

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1300273/Jon-Walters-set-Stoke-Ipswich-agree-3m-fee.html