Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Good Luck Today Portsmouth

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:58 am

I really hope Portsmouth are successful in the high court today.

I feel really sorry for their fans if they see their club go to the wall especially due to the mis management of others. This could of been us if it wasnt for investment of TG.

Players, Managers(I think Harry Redknapp has got off lightly in this situation) and Chariman/CEO come and go, but the ones who are always there and are left to pick up the pieces, are the fans.

Play up Pompey!

Re: Good Luck Today Portsmouth

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 am

I want an away day on Aug 28th so hope they dont , seriously tho its a sad day for football and the fans when clubs from the upper leagues of British football go to the wall ! How close have we been to it ?

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:14 am

i agree, good luck pompey :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 am

The rest of their Premier League 'brothers' tried to shit on them, too, so good luck to them

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:19 am

Good Luck Pompey :ayatollah:

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:03 am

Good luck pompey :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:24 am

Going into admin is cheating but I hope any team comes through it for their fans.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 pm

I hope they go under never to be seen again!! that team broke my heart on F.A CUP final day :cry:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Ben wrote:I hope they go under never to be seen again!! that team broke my heart on F.A CUP final day :cry:

Our thoughts are with you, Ben. Chin up :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Truth be told, football clubs, and not just small fry like your Chester's, but all clubs, need to pay the price for practicing such financial recklessness that is tantamount to cheating, if that is to be Portsmouth, so be it. They have fine supporters who I truly feel for, but it is despicable that clubs such as them and many others, and that certainly includes us who are one of the worst pepetrators, can have no complaints at whatever fate is bestowed upon them for practicing what has frankly been killing the game for years. Football is bigger than any one club, if another club bites the dust as have many previously, just a ittle bigger perhaps this time, the solution is simple; don't be so f*cking stupid in the first place.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Best of luck Pompey !!! hope they can survive great club with passionate fans :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:42 pm

saladthedragon wrote:Truth be told, football clubs, and not just small fry like your Chester's, but all clubs, need to pay the price for practicing such financial recklessness that is tantamount to cheating, if that is to be Portsmouth, so be it. They have fine supporters who I truly feel for, but it is despicable that clubs such as them and many others, and that certainly includes us who are one of the worst pepetrators, can have no complaints at whatever fate is bestowed upon them for practicing what has frankly been killing the game for years. Football is bigger than any one club, if another club bites the dust as have many previously, just a ittle bigger perhaps this time, the solution is simple; don't be so f*cking stupid in the first place.

I agree completely with this, but would like to add something. The Premier League operate a 'fit and proper persons' rule in buying and running a football club within the PL. How come Pompey had so many unfit and improper persons allowed to run them? How come Man City (going off on a tangent, maybe) were also allowed to let in Thaksin Shinawatra? As well as Harry Redknapp getting off all this fairly lightly, as has been suggested by someone else either on this or another thread, have the Premier League got out of this unscathed when maybe they have some sort of questions to answer about how one of their members got into this mess when there were meant to be safeguards in place preventing it from happening?

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:50 pm

Couldn't agree more Nottage. Posted this yesterday that points out the need for far more legislation of the game to protect clubs and it's fans from such things happening viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18848&p=182930#p182930. Personally, while I despise the financial infestation of football and indeed sport, having come close to losing the club before under Sam, I vowed never again to be ignorant enough not to have some kind of idea as to the financial stability of the club. While many on here are very well informed supporters, many fans at large are still either too ignorant or stupid not to be and for them, whatever club they support, I have no sympathy.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Previous comment via above link for those who can't be arsed (!) - "Your last sentence raises a good point PtB. Personally, I despise what Joe did for a year leading up to his contract expiring, once it had, it was his call and I frankly didn't care. Indeed, who on earth can blame him for taking pots of money, I just wish he had the balls to be a little more honest, but it's pretty clear Joe's not the brightest of lads and has almost certainly been badly advised on top too. Still, he's done well for himself with limited ability. I posted before, but it made me laugh when Jones was quoted as saying he was happy for Joe to run his contract down and go the compensation route, when not only would that have around halved his valuation, but of course, no guarantee we would be able to get any compensation at all! Jones says he doesn't get involved with off field matters, when it suits him of course, then makes hay when it does suit him, just like Riddler before him never letting the truth get in the way. His most recent spewings relate to Portsmouth being in 5 x more debt than Cardiff. Didn't realise they were £330m in debt myself.

As for PMG, I would suggest perceptions are different, even though perhaps they shouldn't be. My personal belief has long been the same; we would all be exceedingly naive to believe love and loyalty to a club are prevelant at almost any level, be it the board room, on the pitch, or staff in general. In truth, on the pitch would be the least likely place of all three to find it such have times changed. To pick 2 examples from differing areas, Joe Ledley, local boy who made the first team and allegedly loves the club and Steve Borley, local boy and fan done good wanting to get involved, who would you say has more love for the club? No contest. Acceptance of this unfortunate and sad fact, whether we like it or not, is the only way, but as long as these ultimately mercenaries take the club forward, whatever their role and financial rewards bestowed upon them are, good luck to them. However, I feel such rewards need to be affordable and above board to warrant such good will and given the murky world of football board rooms across the land, not just here, that hasn't and isn't the case.

Besides, football clubs are a complete rarity in business that if they are turning over a profit it is wrong! Any profits are expected to be ploughed into strengthening the team or infrastructure, rather than improving balance sheets, profit margins etc. Our's and football's problems are far deeper rooted than most of us, and certainly me, can comprehend. Stringent legislation is required to ensure football clubs are not only run far better and within affordable budgets, thus ensuring their future existence and tighter, more fair competition with the ability to progress through the leagues, but that those owning football clubs do not see it as an opportunity to asset strip or for personal gain. Football clubs need to, as much as possible, belong to the fans once again, rather than be shrouded in mysterious business deals that merely line the pockets of those already afluent, while the club flirts with potential oblivion as a result.

So, having gone off on a tangent as ever, to answer the question, fans can generally accept players doing well out of the game, even if Joe's actions for example stretch that good will to the limit and beyond, indeed leading to split opinion as to whether someone who's City legend should be as iconic as anyone's, could now be regarded alongside Alan Tate in City folklore! He can have no complaints, he took his 30 pieces of silver and ran, if he had had the balls to man up and admit that's what he did, he would gain more respect, just like Assou-Ekotto gained universal acclaim for his honesty in admitting he's only at Spurs for the money. However, when ordinary folk see busineesmen who have, or should have, already made their fortune rip off the very entity they love, cherish and idolise, that is impossible for many to ignore and rightly so."

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:38 pm

They survive another day...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 886009.stm

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Good luck Pompy. :ayatollah: