Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

One law for the police and another for the rest of us

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:01 am

Am i missing something here...

Police sergeant caught at the wheel four times over the drink-drive limit
By Robert Harries

South Wales Police sergeant Aled Ioan Jones was pulled over by officers from a neighbouring force while drunk

A serving police sergeant was caught drink-driving by fellow police officers while he was four times over the alcohol limit.

Aled Ioan Jones, who works for South Wales Police , was pulled over while driving along the A486 at Cross Inn, near New Quay in Ceredigion , on the evening of Friday, June 19.

The 45-year-old, of Maes Mor, Cross Inn, appeared at Aberystwyth Magistrates’ Court on July 11 where he pleaded guilty to a charge of drink-driving.

He was handed a prison sentence of 20 weeks suspended for two years.

Despite providing a sample of 149mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath he also avoided a driving ban or having any points added to his licence.

The legal limit is 35mg – meaning that he was more than four times over the legal drink drive limit.

South Wales Police has confirmed Jones' case will now be considered by the force’s professional standards department.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-sergeant-caught-wheel-four-14924622

Re: One law for the police and another for the rest of us

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:13 am

Drink driving , shouldn't be tolerated.
But to avoid a driving ban and points on his licence beggars believe .
Stinks to be honest .

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 am

I always thought drink driving meant an automatic ban. Be interesting to see how this all ends. Police are not above the law.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:13 am

Its not for the Police to ban him', its the responsibility of the court. Institutionalised corruption. He should be correctly dealt with and then sacked - this was not a minor transgress having sipped a mouthful too much. This was clearly somebody grossly unfit to drive. The magistrates who came up with this moronic decision should explain why they felt someone 4 times over the limit should be allowed to continue driving. They too should be sacked.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:21 am

Clearly you're missing nothing and the lack of any (usually automatic) ban or points does raise questions

Drink/drug driving is a scourge and anyone convicted should be banned on a ratio according to the levels they were at when at the wheel

The seriousness of being four times over the legal limit at the wheel is surely why the prison sentence (suspended or not) was handed out, so simple logic says a driving ban should surely have been involved, too?

It looks like the officers involved in apprehending him have 'done their job' (there was a time they might have driven him home to 'sleep it off') and the penalty awarded is down to the Courts and not them

The fact he now has a conviction and a suspended prison sentence means that he will likely lose his job when the disciplinary hearing convenes, which will then have a knock on effect on his pension and future employment opportunities

Thankfully, no on else had to be a victim of his actions on that day/night ;)

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:39 am

Probably end up with a desk job within force on a final warning! And guess cannot be banned now as already been punished by magistrate? Just cannot see why wasn't banned anyone over limit usually is banned unless there is extreme extenuating circumstances :old:
Its the magistrate who needs to be held to account :o

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:14 am

epping blue wrote:Its not for the Police to ban him', its the responsibility of the court. Institutionalised corruption. He should be correctly dealt with and then sacked - this was not a minor transgress having sipped a mouthful too much. This was clearly somebody grossly unfit to drive. The magistrates who came up with this moronic decision should explain why they felt someone 4 times over the limit should be allowed to continue driving. They too should be sacked.

Bang on mate, an absolute disgrace.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I always thought drink driving meant an automatic ban. Be interesting to see how this all ends. Police are not above the law.

It does for everybody else even if they are just over the limit. Obviously one rule for them and one for everybody else :banghead:

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Typical wol, the whole reason i started the thread was that it said he had no points added to his licence and no ban, they have now altered the report they put online this morning 3 year ban, and i take it that he has the appropriate points added

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Igovernor wrote:Typical wol, the whole reason i started the thread was that it said he had no points added to his licence and no ban, they have now altered the report they put online this morning 3 year ban, and i take it that he has the appropriate points added

Fuss over then? :o