Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Premiership or bust.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm quite concerned about our club at the moment. We all know about our financial problems and were under the impression that this season was all about cutting our costs and making sure that we stay in the championship.We were under a transfer embargo up until a few weeks ago, and didn't look like we would have a team to play against Burton in the cup. But what a difference a few weeks make, John, Koumas, Olofinjana, Bellamy all have signed for us and it looks like Naylor has signed and Riggot is another possibility. Apart from John all of these players would have been on a decent wage at their previous clubs, so how are we affording to pay for them.

The Malaysians stated that we would be run as a business and that they would no spend like Roman Abramovich at Chelsea, but that looks like it's gone out of the window in the last couple of weeks. How are we going to pay for these players? Is VT putting the money in? Or are the gambling on us going up this year, if that is the case it could come back to bite us big time. And i for one am quite concerned about it at the moment. Sorry to be negative but i just can't help it. It's Cardiff City at the end of the day. :ayatollah:

Re: Premiership or bust.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:21 pm

This thread title is 100% true. We are gambling, but will we play and win, or will we play and lose?

One thing's for sure, with this squad which in my mind is now far and away the best in the league (apart from maybe Boro when Willo Flood's fit :D) , there is a hell of a lot of pressure on DJ to get it right.

At the end of the season there will be two teams who are 15 to 20 points ahead of the pack. Will we be one of them? I say yes.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Having been 90 minutes away from the prize of a place in the Premiership, I'm sure that TG & Co can see the bigger picture & are serious that we will get there,, aswell as financial, long term stability for Cardiff City AFC. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:23 pm

I hope you are both right about it.. Once it all calms down a bit and the media pick up on something else i'm sure i'll be more confidant :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Alot of it depends on how much of these guys wages we are paying. We will not be paying full wages to the loanees, maybe not even half. Other clubs have serious money woes and are happy to get anything for some of these guys just to ease their own books. There will be a wage budget in place and I don't think anyone is daft enough to go over it given the recent well highlighted problems.

Anyway, we're going up so all is good!!!

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:31 pm

CCFC1990 wrote:I'm quite concerned about our club at the moment. We all know about our financial problems and were under the impression that this season was all about cutting our costs and making sure that we stay in the championship.We were under a transfer embargo up until a few weeks ago, and didn't look like we would have a team to play against Burton in the cup. But what a difference a few weeks make, John, Koumas, Olofinjana, Bellamy all have signed for us and it looks like Naylor has signed and Riggot is another possibility. Apart from John all of these players would have been on a decent wage at their previous clubs, so how are we affording to pay for them.

The Malaysians stated that we would be run as a business and that they would no spend like Roman Abramovich at Chelsea, but that looks like it's gone out of the window in the last couple of weeks. How are we going to pay for these players? Is VT putting the money in? Or are the gambling on us going up this year, if that is the case it could come back to bite us big time. And i for one am quite concerned about it at the moment. Sorry to be negative but i just can't help it. It's Cardiff City at the end of the day. :ayatollah:

lets try & be slightly positive, we now have the backing of the malaysians and the club have confirmed we are not living beyond our means!!!!! Also the funding of the bellamy deal will almost pay for itself. We will get more people throught the gates, more sales in the shops which will get us more funds!!!

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:31 pm

I think the club have made cuts, just not off the playing staff.

Flitcroft, PR, Keith Harris, all gone, and id bet cuts have been made elsewhere.

I bet our wages are around the same as last year just we now have some quality and got rid of the mass of dead wood we had like Capaldi, Enks, Feeney and co

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Joe,Feeny,Capaldi,Enks were all probably all on a decent wage so i think you might be right. I just wish we would pay Motherwell it would take some of the media pressure of us.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:35 pm

CCFC1990 wrote:Joe,Feeny,Capaldi,Enks were all probably all on a decent wage so i think you might be right. I just wish we would pay Motherwell it would take some of the media pressure of us.

Pay them in 1p coins.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 pm

As I said in my blog:
http://ninianparkwasbetterthanthis.word ... e-or-bust/

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:45 pm

We were gambling with Ledley, Feeney, Ridsdale etc and we still are.

But this year the odds are stacked in our favor, mainly because we have about five clear championship level difference makers:

Bellamy
Koumas
Chopra
Whittingham
Bothroyd

With Bellamy obviously being a premiership level difference maker so maybe he counts as two? :D Compare that to Boro, who maybe have three and QPR who have one.

So the two intangibles become injuries and the manager. If we can avoid any long term damage injury-wise (unless it's to any of our collection of middling defenders) and DJ gets them playing like a team it's pretty difficuly to imagine a scenario where we're out of the top two.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm

CCFC1990 wrote:Joe,Feeny,Capaldi,Enks were all probably all on a decent wage so i think you might be right. I just wish we would pay Motherwell it would take some of the media pressure of us.

now I have to agree there, lets just pay them & get it out of the way!! SO THE MOTHERWELL chairman can wrap up!!!!

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 pm

brewer918 wrote:

now I have to agree there, lets just pay them & get it out of the way!! SO THE MOTHERWELL chairman can wrap up!!!!

I think the Motherwell issue is pretty much dealt with, and the tax problem is in hand too as I understand it but we'll see.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:03 pm

i think prem or not next year will be more positive just because of the malaysians business sense. they took us from the brink and have got our finances in order, thats proved by the fact the embargo was lifted as in the FL were happy about how we were dealing with it. apart from the tax all our debts this year are to do with transfer fees that we cant afford - hudson, gerrard, quinn, chopra all had a transfer fee amounting to about 5.5mil altogether. we havent spent a penny this year so nothing like that will crop up next year. the malaysians have obviously told jones about this situation and he's dipped into the loan market (ala stoke, leicester, blackpool), maybe thats given us some leeway on the wages, i dont know.

either way, the malaysians are not hammam and ridsdale, i dont believe they will put our club at risk like in previous eras